Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2013, 05:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Parts Advice needed

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-Mainly gaming, but some video editing

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Around $1500 including Taxes and shipping

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
- U.S.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
-Not a fanboy, but I do prefer Intel. Will use AMD if it is the best option.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
- monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers,

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-I have read around and think I have an idea for a decent build'

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-default speed to start, but will overclock as/if needed

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-I have a EVGA GTX 780 classified and plan to get the other parts over the next month.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-Right now I use 1920X1080 resolution and try to get settings to max. I will be getting a new monitor with in the next year.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-The latest and greatest support

This is what I have come up with so far. Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair 750D - Intel1 - ....'s Saved Part List - PCPartPicker Anything you can think of better, price/performance wise, would be appreciated. I have also been looking at the
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 case, but am not sure about a vertically mounted DVD burner. Does anyone have experience with those?
Old November 1, 2013, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks like some solid picks. You could probably shave off some money by going down to a 750w or 850w power supply which would be more than enough even for sli 780's.

Also personally not a big fan of ASUS. I feel as though they are overpriced. Can get the same features/quality for a better price. I would recommend one of these 2 boards. Should have just as many features and possibly more.

MSI Z87 Mpower ATX LGA1150 Z87 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Z87 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 4K HDMI USB3.0MOTHERBOARD

Google ASUS motherboard RMA in USA. Thousands of horror stories from their USA motherboard RMA department.
Old November 1, 2013, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you do go Asus, look at the maximus VI Hero.. awesome board. Otherwise it's a very very good build if overkill for 1080.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old November 1, 2013, 09:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Looks like some solid picks. You could probably shave off some money by going down to a 750w or 850w power supply which would be more than enough even for sli 780's.
Yes, that PSU is more that needed, but with the rebates and stuff it has right now, it's cheaper than most 850W PSU's. And I probably will, at some point, buy another 780 and SLI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
If you do go Asus, look at the maximus VI Hero.. awesome board. Otherwise it's a very very good build if overkill for 1080.
The Hero is another one I am looking at and like a lot, and I will be getting a new monitor within the year and up my resolution.
Old November 4, 2013, 01:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

OK, I have a few of the parts ordered, but I still can't decide on a case. I have been looking at the Corsair 750D and Air 540 because I really like their design and look. Boxish and plain with a big side window and not like it was designed by the Aerospace Industry. And i like that they have room to mount a radiator on the front or top in push/pull. But the reviews I have read are like a mixed bag of good and bad. Like the 540s front panel wiring may be too short to reach my motherboard, and that is a hassle I would like to avoid.

So, any suggestion on some good cases like the two I mentioned, with good air flow, would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 4, 2013, 04:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Have you looked into the Haf stacker 915f picking one up for a server box I'm making after my Ivy-E 4960x build.