Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2013, 02:13 AM
Rookie

Default Mini Micro ATX home ofice/occasional gamer budget pc

Im finally fed up with my aging Athlon II X3 440 system. It's too slow imho or there's something wrong that causes lag, and i just dont wanna fix it id rather replace it. What finally did it for me is we bought my son a used "gaming" laptop with a core i7 920 in it and i was absolutely blown away that this laptop was sooooo much faster than my pc.

so my goals are SMALL (I hate the huge footprint the towers take), and FAST - like lightning fast for general pc usage. Like not waiting a minute or so for quickbooks to do a quick backup of the dbase.

In the past i always cheaped out and went with the value priced cpu that the reviews said were good for gaming on a budget, but i am smart enough to know now that doesn't always mean you'll get a fast pc all around.

This time i'm gonna spend it where it counts - a Core i5-4570 with an SSD should do it.

Here's the system i'm trying to order (having credit card issues). so i may have a chance to make some changes if there's any good suggestions for me.

Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB 2.5in SSD $185.02
Inwin BK623 mATX Tiny Tower Case w/ 300W PSU $59.95
Intel Core i5 4570 Quad 3.2GHZ P Haswell $199.75
MSI H87M-G43 ATX Motherboard $91.28
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2X4GB DDR3-1600 Memory $82.89
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Power Supply SFX $60.37
Re-use my existing GTX460 vid card $free

Free Ground Shipping

Total with insurance and GST $723.92

Couple points i know ppl will want to make:

-yes i know the case comes with a power supply but my GTX is a power hog so i need 450 watt minimum. The case comes with a 300 watt PS so that's a bit of a waste but i really want this one as it's the absolute smallest box in MATX form that i could find.

-Heat may become an issue and i'm aware of that and prepared to whip out the tools and get creative with cooling solutions if i need to.

-The mobo was not my fav choice but the choices were rather limited. there was a great deal on an ECS mobo but it sold out before i could buy....also wanted hdmi and S/PDIF optical out as this may become the HTPC for the house a few years down the road....

My typical pc usage:

General office stuff - my office is at home so I'll have many many tabs in browser open at a time. plus Quickbooks will be open, several programs running in the background (Outlook, security, backup sw, google calendar sync etc).

Photoshop - occasionally, just touching photos, not too intensive.

Gaming: single 23" monitor, 1080p
I don't game often, but when i do I want it to look damn good and have very little lag.

Any suggestions or do y'all think this should be good?

Last edited by mickeyaaaa; October 23, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old October 23, 2013, 03:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

number 1 I'm glad the ECS sold out.. go MSI any day over ECS...

Crucial M500 over the EVO.

That PSU looks overpriced. I would expect a 550w gold rated(in a sale) for that price.

If you really want small, look at Mitx for a proper SFF build..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 23, 2013, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyaaaa View Post
-yes i know the case comes with a power supply but my GTX is a power hog so i need 450 watt minimum
Not true : I ran a Phenom II 965 with a GTX460 on an Antec EA 380 just fine with absolute stability. You don't need latest generation Intel, you can go just fine with a 1155 Core i3 as well, in practice I noticed little to no difference between gaming on a Core i3 and a Core i5 at same frequency. In both cases I was capped at 60 FPS because of my TV. I have to agree that giving an Athlon II X3 the title of gaming budget CPU is kinda an overstatement, I have one and I know it sucks at 3D gaming, unless you pair it with a high end card. Actually gaming wise I was stunned what a combination of an IB Pentium G3220 and a GTS450 can do, so an i3 and a GTX460 will do the job fine as well.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My comments below

Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB - Swap to a 840 pro (not evo), or go to an intel or crucial drive.

Inwin BK623 mATX Tiny Tower Case - seems ok. I am sure someone else who deals with small enclosures would be able to recommend something better without breaking the bank.

Intel Core i5 4570 - If your not going to OC, then this is a great call. It goes on sale for $190 if your not in a rush. I am in the process of upgrading to ivy bridge from an x3 710, so I should have a similar gain.

MSI H87M-G43 - seems like a good choice

G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2X4GB DDR3-1600 - good

Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W - seems good. You could also consider some similar antec/seasonic PSU depending on pricing when you order

Re-use my existing GTX460 - should be fine. I also run a 460 without issue.
Old October 23, 2013, 07:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
number 1 I'm glad the ECS sold out.. go MSI any day over ECS...

Crucial M500 over the EVO.

That PSU looks overpriced. I would expect a 550w gold rated(in a sale) for that price.

If you really want small, look at Mitx for a proper SFF build..
all these neg remarks about the SS Evo in spite of the reviews i read is kind of puzzling...more reading req'd i guess. thx! edit: just a little reading, found the pro is about $65 more, and uses an older tech that is faster and more reliable but more expensive to produce, so i'll have to weigh that against the price. Its so easy to justify little increases all the way up to a $1000+ pc...

The psu is more expensive because it is small form factor i guess - seems the smaller you go the more expensive parts get. not many choices in that size so i'm stuck with it.

Looked at MITX, but found the cases that allowed a full size video card still had the same foot print as a mini tower....with a few more expensive exceptions. this MATX case will actually take up less space on my desk than many MITX cases...strange i know but works out to the best value/size i could find.

Last edited by mickeyaaaa; October 23, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old October 23, 2013, 08:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The reason for the hate on the Evo is simple: it uses TLC NAND. Stay far, far away from TLC NAND drives for at least another 2 gens. If you cant afford the 840 Pro...go with another mfg'er. IMHO Its Pro or nothing when it comes to sammy drives. You may see a bollocks review on how good the TLC NAND 'really is'....its....less than optimal and represents the absolute best case scenario - bordering on unicorns and lollipops results. No one will ever hit that in real world scenarios. Not going to name names (not my place, do your own home work and make your own decisions) but I laughed when I read its methodology and have never gone back to that site.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 23, 2013, 07:32 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the warning. seems early still so time will tell how bad they fail. I may risk it still, but will be sure to keep things backed up regularly.
Old October 24, 2013, 06:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So the point of this thread was?
Old October 24, 2013, 10:47 PM
Rookie

really i was hoping to find a suggestion on a better case, or any tips on better prices. I understand AKG's position on the SSD's, but i think it's possible there is too much focus on the higher endurance of the SLC memory in the pro version (70 years of real world usage vs 25)
I'm not expecting to get 25 years or even likely 10 yrs out of the thing. All i care is that it's fast and should outlast a spinning hard disk.
If there is a test published out there that shows serious failure in short time then i would reconsider, but i could not find any such evidence (googled Nand ssd failure)
Old October 25, 2013, 06:16 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Actually my point is there are plenty of ONFi 2 and Toggle Mode NAND mainstream drives out there to bother with unproven TLC NAND. Why pay for the privilege of being a guinea pig for Samsung (the pro btw doesnt use SLC NAND)? TLC is not proven and I would not be surprised to see the numbers of them dieing an early death (ie still in warranty) in the next couple years. Samsung make good kit. But they dont have a sterling track new tech. It takes them a couple years to get it kinda right and a couple more to get it 'right'.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr