Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2013, 10:16 PM
Rookie

Default Help me build 850~900 new gaming rig!

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I will mostly be playing games(lol gta)and streaming and record game plays
I want to be able to play multiple games at the same time such as minecraft and lol because I have double moniters
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
800~900 canadian dollars without tax

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Vancouver Canada
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy,WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
intel i7 and gtx series(Asus or Evga)
Asus or gigabyte motherboard(matx)
Antec or corsair psu
8g of ram
1 tb harddrive
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).
I do not need os keyboard mouse speaker headphone moniter
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?
With my budget I think I will have to go with an h87M motherboard
With a i7 4770(non k) will it be able to oc?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?
I might try if 4770(non k) with h87 can be
If I do what CPU cooler do I need to get
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?
Sometimes between now until boxing day

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?
Fps above and stable at 60 when I stream lol with high setting
At least medium setting at gta with stable fps over 60
10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.

I really wanna try an ssd drive but I don't think I can fit it into my budge. I might buy it later. Any recommendation on any 128g ssd drive?
I don't mind if it is a little loud. I want to mainly focus on performance. Also I want go with a matx mobo
I also don't need a fancy case
Old October 13, 2013, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Go with a high end i5 and throw your money at a better GPU or that SSD. If you're not getting a K series chip it pretty much isn't worth overclocking anymore... those days are long gone. You're stuck trying to get intel QuickSync to work with OBS for streaming if you want to do all of that in your price range.

I'm not gonna make specifics yet, but for general idea:

Case ~50-60 will get you something pretty decent
Mobo, I am not current on H87 mobos, but I would expect you would be looking at $80 for something worth buying
PSU you can get away with $70
Memory is pretty expensive last I checked, so that'll set you back at least $90
CPU cooler will not be required (the one in the box is sufficient, even for a little over-clocking)
CPU will set you back $220 for 4670 or $240 if you want to over-clock (better value for your money than a 4770).
HDD will set you back $60-70
ODD (if you need one) will set you back $15
Wifi card (if not in the mobo itself) will set you back $10 if you look for sales
====
totals up to about $600. You can get a pretty good GPU for under $240 if you only want to buy new (vs used), putting you right in your budget range. Only way to fit in that SSD without compromising your graphics card heavily is to pick up a couple parts used or go slightly over that budget. SSD is extremely well worth your money, 120GB is the minimum to not have to constantly be moving programs on/off your SSD, but you can always look into a "cache" SSD if the 120GB stays out of your price range.
Old October 14, 2013, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the 4770 non k can only be overclocked only 200MHz more on the H87 mobos. You might want to go with the 3570k and overclock that one. For memory I would choose something with XMP profile, me I use a set of G.Skill Ripjawx X at 1600 MHz with CL8, model F3-1600C8D-8GAB. Seagate harddrives traditionally are calibrated for more output than the other brands, so I would choose the fastest 1TB you can get.

Last edited by MARSTG; October 14, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old October 14, 2013, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

XMP profile is crap... it runs your memory at very high voltages that are not necessary... I used XMP profile for all of 30 seconds to see what it did and then promptly set my speed and timings manually with extremely lower voltages to get the same specs.

Why do you suggest a 3570k and not a 4670k?
Old October 15, 2013, 04:42 AM
Top Prospect

$900 budget is too tight for an i7 and a decent GPU, so you would need to compromise on one or the other. I suggest going with an i5 and putting the money into a GTX 760. Also, you should make room for an SSD, or else your entire system is gonna feel bogged down no matter how beast the rest of your system is; a good 128GB SSD is $100 tops.