Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2013, 08:25 AM
Top Prospect

Default cpu/board choice advice/suggestions for gaming only

First of all, sorry if this post is all over the place as I am typing everything down as it comes to mind.

So, I'm in the planning to build a system that will probably be the last one ( we've all said that before ) and need some advice on which direction to take. It doesn't look like anything new in processors is being released in the next few weeks and I would like to get this done before BF4 launches at the end of the month.
The computers only task will be gaming and overclocking, nothing else. The only games I will be running will be BF4, BF3, and possibly BF2BC. I will more then likely be playing at 1080p resolution.
The last 4 systems have been Intel based with the exception of my current mini itx setup which is a a10 5800k with a gtx 670. I have been running two Crucial M4 128 GB ssd's in raid 0 in all of them for the OS and games
I will be upgrading the GPU very possibly to one of the new R9 series cards

I am thinking about going with a AMD 8 core ( maybe a 8350 or a FX series ) as I haven't used a AMD, with the exception of the FM2 I am using now, since the Athlon 64 days
Am I going to be disappointed in these processors used only for gaming? Last month I was running a 3770k so I would at least like to have a similar or better gaming experience
The only reason I am thinking about AMD is my current FM2 system really surprised me in its performance in gaming with the gtx 670. Perhaps my expectations were set really low

Price is probably limited to around $600 for board and cpu
I`ve been reading a lot of reviews and getting a mixed bag of results. Some tests show that AMD is competitive in gaming, while others show they are not.
So if I could get some user opinions and or experiences , that would be great as I`m pretty sure if I`m going to have graphs in my nightmares with all the reviews I have been sifting through.

Thanks in advance everyone
Old October 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IB-e? 4830k? that or as you say a 8350 from team red. Pick either, don't think you'll be disappointed.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 12, 2013, 05:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

8350 & Crosshair Mobo = @425, Sabertooth Mobo would save you another 40ish dollars. spend the savings on a 1440p monitor.

If you really feel like spending all 600, 4770k and Sabertooth or similar Mobo.

Anandtech shows that gaming at 1440p is bottlenecked by the GPU in most cases. (They use a 7970/580)
Old October 13, 2013, 06:39 AM
Top Prospect

The crosshair/8350 was the combo I was thinking about the most if i go amd, as the fx 9 series didn't make a lot of sense if the 8350 would clock to similar speeds. ( if I get a decent chip)If that system would be comparable ( in gaming performance only ) to a i7 3770k or 4770k then that will more then likely be the board and cpu I go with
I've read a few articles where the amd systems actually seemed to preform better (marginally no over clocks on either ) then the i7 and i5 haswells.
I hope SKY will do some sort of benchmark comparison on different systems and/or GPU's with bf4 when it is released. Or at least add BF4 to the benchmark list

Last edited by HiTi; October 14, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old October 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

W/o adding the BF4 to the benchmark list the review would be incomplete. He can drop one some classic, but BF4 is a must, because it will be the first game what utilize Mantle API, witch should allow some deeper optimalizations that we get before... so...

BF4 or bust! :)
Old October 13, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AMD will not give you the same experience as Intel, Intel is better at gaming right now. What will you be overclocking the system for? I would say go with the 3570k, which is still your best bang for the buck CPU for gaming. Take whatever Z77 board inspires you. Usually I look on newegg at reviews to see who gets the least 1 egg reviews and who gets the most 4 and 5 egg reviews.
Old October 14, 2013, 06:00 AM
Top Prospect

That is kinda what I was afraid of. My most recent systems were a 2500K,3770K and a 4770K. So I may have to go back to rethinking what I was planning to do. The more reading I have been doing, it's looking like the 2500K system would have been comparable or better then a FX 8350 build.
I was really hoping to build a AMD based system for a change, but the reviews are working against my hopes.
2011 build...overkill for my useage
1150 build...already had one and was no different (IMO) from 3770 build
Looks like I may have to hold off for a bit before I jump into something I'm not going to be happy with.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most of the games are still not optimized for multithreading, at least not beyond 4 cores at least where the 8350 will shine. FX8350 is good at tasks that scale well, like video transcoding and computation like folding but not gaming. For gaming alone the 1155 i5-k models are still the best for gaming. The performance difference between 3570k and 3770k is only 3% so from gaming POV alone the price difference is not justified. And this is done at stock clocks so the overclocking is not taken into consideration. I had many platforms over the years but the best gamers were always Intel : Pentium G2120, i3-3225, i5-3550 and now a L5639 Xeon ovc at 3 GHz.
Old October 14, 2013, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

Only reason I would be overclocking is to see what a cpu can do..then go to a conservative clock for everyday reliability. Its more then likely going to be a chiller based water setup
It looks like I am going to wait until bf4 and the 290x launches before I do anything. That is the gpu (as long as the price isnt titan like) I am probably going to go with now as bf4 will be the main game I will be wasting my time on.
If I can play that game on high or ultra on a 1080 p screen with no hiccups and super fluid gameplay ..I'll be happy