Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2013, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Depends if you want to stream to devices or if you want them to connect and just play from the server.

Multiple connections shouldn't be a problem as long as there isn't much processing involved.
As moo said, if transcoding keep the rig, sell the extras..
What is the difference? I'm not sure which one applies to me..

XBOX plays my videos through its interface, but I only think that's because I installed Serviio.

Other computer, laptop and upcoming Surface tablet will all access through the file system.

Am I missing something? What effect would transcoding have/do I need it?
Old October 11, 2013, 11:19 PM
Allstar

Depending on the devices that you have home, you may need to convert the video to a more compatible format. For example, my Kindle Fire can only do hardware decoding of videos if they are H.264 video codec and MP3 audio codec. Sure it can use other stuff works but in Software playback mode, the video is choppy and laggy. Also, extremely large videos may not run smoothly over wireless.
Old October 12, 2013, 09:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Depending on the devices that you have home, you may need to convert the video to a more compatible format. For example, my Kindle Fire can only do hardware decoding of videos if they are H.264 video codec and MP3 audio codec. Sure it can use other stuff works but in Software playback mode, the video is choppy and laggy. Also, extremely large videos may not run smoothly over wireless.
Got it. Well, this is what I've come up with...

Intel Core i3-3220T, Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

Going to sell my i5 760, motherboard, case, LCD, and use leftover parts to make my HTPC/Media server.

Final product should be:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220T 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor
MB: Asus P8H77-I Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (x2, have one already, going to RAID)
RAM: 12GB Kingston HyperX PC-12800 DDR3 (leftover parts)
SSD: Corsair M4 128GB SSD (leftover parts)
PSU: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Drive: 24x Samsung DVD Drive (leftover parts)

Missing anything? Should be a quiet system, doubt I need any extra fans inside. SSD/RAM are overkill, but might as well use the parts. DVD drive may or may not be needed.

Thoughts on my choices? $367 plus tax for case, cpu, mobo, HD and PSU. Seems good to me.
Old October 17, 2013, 05:54 AM
Rookie

Parts are in, looking for help.

Suggested to do RAID 1? I'd like both hard drives to be a mirror of each other, in case of data loss, and because I don't need the extra space currently. What's my best option here?
Old October 17, 2013, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Raid 1 is a mirror. Copies data to both disks at the same time. Writes will feel the same(ish)as if you have 1 drive, however you should see better read times and also have the redundancy.

Personally for media which can be gotten again I wouldn't bother (depending on how precious your bandwidth is). I only backup important stuff and raid 1 (or better 10) would be reserved for a machine I was doing important work on.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 17, 2013, 07:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Raid 1 is a mirror. Copies data to both disks at the same time. Writes will feel the same(ish)as if you have 1 drive, however you should see better read times and also have the redundancy.

Personally for media which can be gotten again I wouldn't bother (depending on how precious your bandwidth is). I only backup important stuff and raid 1 (or better 10) would be reserved for a machine I was doing important work on.
Well, I do have a lot of media that would be pretty annoying to download all over again, even on my unlimited bandwidth.

To have both drives be a mirror, would RAID 1 be the best? or something like a software solution (FreeNAS, UnRAID etc. although I'm not familiar with what they do...)
Old October 17, 2013, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sell all of it and get a qnap NAS. :)

If you don't want to sell it I would highly suggest getting a cheap passively cooled video card. Raid 1 the important data or build multiple raid 1's if you want. This computer should handle multiple connections no problem. Alternatively you could add a 1gb network card and bridge it along with the other motherboard nic card spread the love a little easier. :) I think you'll find that multiple people actually accessing the file server at the same time happens less frequently than most people think. I've used a USB2 drive plugged into my router and run two movies at the same time on different computers no problem. So really... a computer like yours will easily handle files.

-Invest in a inexpensive raid card. Adaptec or LSI. Something that will run raid 0,1,10. These can be had for 100 bux. I think the hardware raid's are far more reliable and responsive.
-I like the idea of using an ssd for a file server only for fast reboots etc and I will be using one in mine as well.
-low speed 1000rpm fans Geild makes 10 dollar fans that are perfect for file servers imo.
-any more than 4gb of ram is a waste for a small file server it wont get used.
-don't overclock... you want this cpu running as cool as possible on the lowest RPM cooler you can. Saving power is the key here.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.