Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2013, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect

Default Three upgrades and a project

Hi, I've got about three upgrades and a project I'm looking at doing and was hoping to get some opinions on what I'm planning.

The first two projects are an office/photo editing computer and an HTPC. I was thinking to re-build them with pretty much the same guts:

CPU: I3 4130
Mobo: ??? (a bit of an ASUS fan, but can be open minded, wanting to keep under $200)
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 (will be a big step up from the old ATI 9800pro and AMD 4350)
Memory: ??? (up in the air again, thinking maybe some Corsair 2133, but Kingston has been good to me in the past, 8GB)
No SSD at this point, that may come later though, but my wife does want more storage so a nice fat 3TB drive would be nice.

Now on my gaming toy I'm looking at upgrading the CPU/Mobo/RAM, the GPU is done already (HIS 7970), but I'd like the rest to keep up (and, quite honestly, I may cross over to team green for this too their 7xx line looks tastey).

CPU: 3770K or 4770K, not much of an OCer but I think I've heard that the -K line has better binning
Mobo: ??? (I had been looking at the Sabertooth, but the memory compatibility with Sabertooth makes me unhappy)
Memory: ???? (same as above; dunno, just want something good that works)

Now for the project:
I've been looking at building what I've decided to call a "Redneck Monoplex," which would consist of an HTPC, older receiver, older pair of tower speakers (early 90's vintage) and a projector all in a classy plywood and 2x4 frame (may be upgraded later to A-1 and hardwood). The HTPC would be a random case with the guts from my old HTPC, the receiver could be any decent one from the mid 90's/turn of the century but the real issue is the projector. I'd be looking used (I'm not going to spend 1-3k on an outside toy) but I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of lumens, and finding information that I find useful on lumens, throw and panel size has been difficult. Any suggestions with regards to projector specs that I should be looking at (the plan is to put this outside and have it throw onto a large-ish shop door)
Old October 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
Top Prospect

Should have mentioned before, but the first two projects are both going into cases that can hold ATX boards.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For your office PC the Integrated HD 4400 will be enough
Old October 12, 2013, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, you don`t need a 660 on an office/photo editing machine, unless you use a photoshop plug in that makes use of CUDA. Memory wise 8 GB should be ok.

Gaming wise the best value for the CPU will be the 3570k there is very little performance difference compared to 3770k to justify the price difference. RAM, I am using some G-Skill Ripjaws X to take advantage of the XMP profiles.
Old October 12, 2013, 07:56 AM
Top Prospect

Fair enough, that's just a habit from 5 years ago when integrated graphics were significantly weaker. While I realize that gaming wise the 3570k is a MUCH better value for dollar, I just keep looking at the -770K lines and thinking "but it could be so much better"
Old October 12, 2013, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The K chips have unlocked multipliers allowing much easier and better overclocks than non k chips.. it's not binning.

If your not planning to OC much then go the 4xxx chip. I'm loving the MSI Mpower board but the Asus maximus hero looks awesome too

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 12, 2013, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect

Actually, that is a great point, why bother with a -k on a 4770 at all? Unless they improve significantly with software there's no point in a 4770-k, is there?
Old October 12, 2013, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I actually meant the 4650k or 4770k.. I don't see any point in saving a few bucks and getting a chip that won't allow you to oc and will have much worse residual value.
That is unless you don't need the power in which case there are better bang for buck chips out there such as the 8350 from AMD.

The 3xxx chips *should* (silicon lottery permitting) allow slightly higher over clocks but the 4xxx chips have slightly better performance per clock. Which is what I was trying to get at.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 12, 2013, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

I guess I should look at the OC tables again, last ones I saw (I haven't looked since release) said that OC on a 4770K didn't really look too great.
Old October 12, 2013, 04:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Always use intel's "Compare" feature when looking at processor differences there are little changes that can be big.

For example when I was looking for a 3570 I was wanting to make use of the integrated processor graphics but the 3570 used HD 2500 but the 3570K uses HD 4000. So I made sure I got the 3570k for that reason.