Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2013, 04:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Damn my Xperia zl auto correct lol. I'll forgo rent this time I guess and double up on shifts to cover bills.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm waiting on the damn Asus Raidr Exspress pci-e ssd to be available in Canada it's holding my whole rig build in a standstill should I just get 3 Samsung 840 pros make one a boot drive till the existence of Asus pci sa. Becomes a reality for Canada?
Old November 4, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, my advice would be to pay your bills before dumping cash on RAID SSDs and SLI Titans. RAID SSDs won't net any noticeable performance advantages, besides a few seconds on boot times for the OS and some large applications. Some things even load slower on RAID SSDs. SLI Titans for a single 60Hz monitor? Where in the Arctic is it that you live?

Heck what do I know? Buy some girls and cocaine while you're at it. Go out like Scarface. I think Scarface was paying his bills though.

About 120Hz (144Hz) monitor: Check out the new BenQ XL2420TE. Apparently it's BenQ's best yet, and they've improved the color quality quite a bit. No backlight bleed, at least according to the few reviews that are out. New flicker-free LED backlighting that has a wider range than standard PWM LED monitors. Apparently you can turn it right down, which is nice because I find a lot of LED monitors way too bright in a dark setting, even at minimum brightness.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

We'll bill's are covered I'd go sli titans if price came down $500 a piece but that ain't happening in this lifetime. I'm thinking single 840 boot and raid 0 840s for apps games.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I also planned a Eco 1TB for a steam drive as all games will reside on there Inc back for steam folder and a complete image of the rig full updated and working without the kinks I know will be there once I complete my build.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There's zero advantage to separating the OS, apps and games on SSDs. That's a practice of the past for HDDs. Also, there's negligible gains (sometimes losses) by putting SSDs in RAID-0, so why do it? Not only is there a negligible real-world performance gain, but it's an expensive one and you're introducing another point of potential failure to the system. You'd be better getting a 512GB SSD for OS, games, apps (identical high-speed space to the setup you were contemplating) and then a 1TB+ HDD for storage duty. You'll get virtually identical performance, you'll get tons of extra storage space, and you'll save at least a few hundred dollars.
Old November 5, 2013, 03:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default ssd raid

I have a little nas with 3 Wd Red 3TB drives and a external 4TB Wd Red hooked up to my Asus router the 66ac version for Ai cloud iv got plenty of storage but you are right about raid ssd it's another can of worms that can cause problems.

last month I tried raid 0 on some Wd black drives brand new within 2 weeks one died other had 45% bad sectors just figured since trim has been workable through Raid thought I'd get a nice boost from a performance ssd in raid.

Last edited by Shadowarez; November 5, 2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: wall of txt
Old December 6, 2013, 10:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Update: thanks to rjbarker iv got the video portion of this build completed. Now I'm waiting on back ordered Rive BE motherboard.

The cooler is on way went with swiftech that was recommended. But im also waiting on that crytek cpu cooler as a back incase my watercooling breaks and needs to be rma.
Old December 8, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Which Swiftech did you settle on 220 or 320? You'll be happy with either...that is going to be sweet with that RIVE BE for sure....looking forward to pics!!!

Old December 8, 2013, 06:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Went with the 320 figured better to have it for when it's time to push the system.

Then to be stuck with something else that works but won't oc to were I want later.

Last edited by Shadowarez; December 14, 2013 at 05:48 AM.