Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2013, 02:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Looking to build new tower (insight needed)

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Games

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
1000 with a 10% spread 20% if its really worthwhile

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
prioritize canada, then US

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-must be intel processor

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
using all peripherals. and storage HDD

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yeah I have

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
defaults

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
within the next 2 months depending if I feel like spending money

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
At least medium at 1920x1080

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
Not really

Currently what I have planned. I know there can be some minor adjustments for sure.
Intel Core i5-4670K, Asus Radeon HD 7850, Corsair 500R Black - System Build - PCPartPicker
Old September 28, 2013, 06:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If i were you i would maybe drop down to an ivy bridge with z77 mobo? And spend the extra on a better video card. Im running a 7850 right now and its maxed out on 1080. If you're going to be using this strictly for gaming then i think its worth while investing more on your video card.
Old September 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Or just spend another $150 and get a 7970. Well worth it. You'll have a high end rig with that card and cpu.
Old September 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Since you are planning on running everything stock there is no need for a k series processor, z87 motherboard or AIO water cooler.

You could shave off a good chunk of change and get a better GPU, possibly 7970 as suggested above.
Old September 28, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Few things... Figure out which is easiest and cheapest for you, all CA, all US or a mix and match for best prices.

Drop the H70.. get H80i or stick to air.. if your not overclocking stock is fine (if the fan is a lil loud)

New GPU's From AMD VERY soon(they have been announced, expect to see releases in the next few weeks)...
You'll have to wait and see what happens there. Could be price-drops etc or you may not want to get anything older.. waiting on reviews.

Drop the AS5 compound, there is better stuff out there and especially as your not not overclocking the stuff that comes with will be fine.

I wouldn't go with a crucial M4 myself especially when a Vector is only $12 more and much faster

I would stick to the k chip and z87 board as it will give you OC options in the future and better re-sale value..
A lil bit lower chip on h87 board would save you some with little performance difference in game especially @stock.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; September 28, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old September 28, 2013, 08:32 PM
Top Prospect

If you do a whole lotta squeezin' (300R instead of a 500R, different RAM, Antec PSU over Corsair) you can get a GTX 770 in your build that squeaks just under your max budget: Intel Core i5-4670K, EVGA GeForce GTX 770, Corsair 300R - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

If you want to stay within the 1000 mark you can sub out the GTX 770 for either a GTX 760 or 7970, going that route you might have some $$ left over to get the 500R if you were really dead set on that case.
Old September 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great insight, I was just drafting one up real quick. In terms of video performance typically the most high end game I play is dota 2. I could definitely drop down some stuff and get a better GPU. Also do plan to do the building over the next while, I heard AMD was releasing new GPU, I only chose the 7850 because it performs well for what I need and it was a pretty low cost since it was on sale. I am pretty set on the case, I prefer a case with a window this time if any of you know a nice one please let me know I appreciate all the input.

So in terms of GPU anyone willing to listen a few brands or show a few links. Lets aim for non referenced ones.

Also I prefer modular PSU.
Old September 29, 2013, 12:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If DOTA2 at 1080p with med settings is your most demanding task, I would cut back on the GPU and the platform.

Spend the money on other things - maybe a nice SSD. PSU/case are always good investments as those typically can be reused more readily. Maybe spend your saved budget on a nicer monitor.
Old September 29, 2013, 02:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If DOTA2 at 1080p with med settings is your most demanding task, I would cut back on the GPU and the platform.

Spend the money on other things - maybe a nice SSD. PSU/case are always good investments as those typically can be reused more readily. Maybe spend your saved budget on a nicer monitor.
Well I currently already have a PC with a brand new 27 inch monitor, running decent specs. Just feel like getting a new computer. However playing infestation survivor stories with low settings I am barely hitting over 40 fps i am mainly between 20-40.

EDIT:
If possible around that price range for 1000 +20% spread can someone plan me something where everything in my computer is completely black, or black/red or black/blue.

Last edited by Confetti; September 29, 2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Update current thoughts
Old September 29, 2013, 07:00 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Use memory express's price beat on all items and you under a grand and all shipped at once. If anything I would push to a 7970 if your willing to flex on price. Intel Core i5-4570, Asus GeForce GTX 760, Corsair 350D - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada