Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2013, 05:11 PM
Rookie

Default Starting Media Server Build

Hello all,

I have been looking to build media server for a while now but am really struggling with some details mostly pertaining to the RAID subsystem. First a brief overview of what I want to accomplish.

I want a general NAS setup but with a very large disk array. I currently have several 2 TB external drives with all of my media such as blue ray's, hd dvd's, cd's and images. I want to build a RAID 6 Array that can handle the current media and also be expandable for the future. I have figured out that a good start will be 6 4TB drives, that should give me a good amount of room for expansion for the mean time. Also, I want to use it as a PXE boot server to update my HTPC's that I currently have and it will handle transcoding duties for all of my devices. I plan on running Ubuntu server and PlexServer on the rig for the OS and the system drives will be mirrored 120GB SSD's.

My question is about RAID controllers specifically. The mother board that I am looking at is a Supermicro H8DCL-6F. The motherboard sports an LSI SAS2008 controller, and it says that it will handle up to 8 drives but can expand out to 240. My question is how is the expansion to 240 drives achieved and will more then 8 drives need to be split into a new volume? I would like to eventually have 24 drives in the array and all under one volume, is this feasible?

If anyone has any input or good tutorials on RAID hardware please share. I am familiar with the concept of RAID itself, but have never considered how it works on a larger level. I was hoping to start buying parts piece by piece next week but I really want to get this issue sorted out first.
Old September 14, 2013, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I believe that after 8 drives you need to use SAS expanders....
Old September 14, 2013, 08:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You might want to checkout the FreeNAS forums as well. Builds similar to yours are quite common over there.

You probably want something like this: Norco Technologies, Inc. that includes the SAS Expander, though that motherboard doesn't seem to use a miniSAS connector type, only SATA ports. You could find eSATA port multipliers instead.

You're probably better off buying a proper RAID controller with an external miniSAS connector. The one that's included with a $400 motherboard surely isn't going to be great. A "good" RAID card typically costs twice that.
Old September 14, 2013, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Supermicro Superchassis 846E1-R710B 4U Rack Server Chassis Black 710W Rpsu 24X3.5INCH Hs HDD Bays

one sas cable to control 24 drives

i used this

RAID EXPANDER RES2SV240 STORAGE

i would need an 8 port car to get 24 drives and there is no expansion without more of them.

or you could use this

Intel Controller Card RES2CV360 2U/4U 36Port 6GB SAS Expander R2200/P4000M/P4000L Retail

but the supermicro way is the best.
Old September 14, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've got 8 drives in a RAID6 with an Adaptec 31605 card. My norco case holds 16 HS bays and the card supports 16, so no expanders. No issues so far.
Old September 14, 2013, 09:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I've got 8 drives in a RAID6 with an Adaptec 31605 card. My norco case holds 16 HS bays and the card supports 16, so no expanders. No issues so far.
i use a norco 4020 with 12 seagate 2tb drives with an lsi 9260-4i and that 24 port expander...i tell you when researching that build there was very little info on the expander. then i found out that its an lsi chip. that made it an easy choice.
Old September 15, 2013, 10:47 AM
Rookie

Thanks all,

I'll learn more about raid expanders and see what I come up with. I'll be sure to post about my experience when parts start coming in. I'm pretty excited about this build as it will fill a long standing thorn in my side from multiple hdd failures in the past.

Tags
media , nas , raid , server