Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2013, 08:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Builds for Office workstations

I've done a few builds for workstations at work usually on blackfriday's I get the best deals...

It seems it's hard to compete with some basic workstations from HP/Dell.

I saw a HP i5-3330 with a 23" monitor at costco, with windows 8 for $550! If that's what it's coming to it's pretty hard to build an equivalent custom machine for that price.

I think one of the main cost factors building a custom PC is just getting windows, costs roughly $100 for home. The manufacturers get this at a much cheaper rate.

I guess my question is does anyone build any simple workstations for the office or do you just get a bunch of dells, etc.. So just wondering what do some IT guys do for office machines?
Old September 11, 2013, 09:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For the bottom end office stuff, I still recommend prebuilt systems. But for MY work, I don't go with the cheapest. I usually spend around $700 without a monitor. With that budget I can put a fast quad-core and SSD in, which saves probably 5 minutes a day waiting for things to load, and the extra $300 is more than covered over the life of the machine by increased productivity for the user. Over the course of a year, that saves over 20 hours of time that can be used productively doing other things.

So, it depends on who you're building for and what the budget is. If it's the absolute cheapest you can get, then prebuilts are the way to go. On-site support is also important to consider.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entilza View Post
I've done a few builds for workstations at work usually on blackfriday's I get the best deals...

It seems it's hard to compete with some basic workstations from HP/Dell.

I saw a HP i5-3330 with a 23" monitor at costco, with windows 8 for $550! If that's what it's coming to it's pretty hard to build an equivalent custom machine for that price.

I think one of the main cost factors building a custom PC is just getting windows, costs roughly $100 for home. The manufacturers get this at a much cheaper rate.

I guess my question is does anyone build any simple workstations for the office or do you just get a bunch of dells, etc.. So just wondering what do some IT guys do for office machines?
This has been the case for quite some time. It's virtually impossible to put together a budget build with a legit OS for less than what you'd pay to get one from a large OEM. Not only are they probably saving $50 - $70 on the OS, they're also making a few bucks / unit for all of the crapware they're putting on them. I suspect that between bulk buying of hardware, Cheaper OS, and payola for the crapware, they're probably $100 - $150 ahead of the best price a home / small business builder could come up with, and that's a huge difference when you're talking about a sub $500 piece of kit.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
Rookie

Default Refurbished?

If you don't need the newest hardware, Newegg sells quite a few Core 2 Duo refurbished systems under $500. I don't know if you would want to go the refurbished route, but it's a thought.
Old September 12, 2013, 12:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxS View Post
If you don't need the newest hardware, Newegg sells quite a few Core 2 Duo refurbished systems under $500. I don't know if you would want to go the refurbished route, but it's a thought.
Problem with refurb'ed hardware or systems is the warranty, which is usually 30 days, after that you can be stuck with an expensive paperweight. If you are talking about business use, you are talking about your invested capital making you some capital, so any down-time from my perspective would be net negative.

Spend the money on system with a proper warranty and not through Newegg though, if it is for business purposes; go through Dell or other recognized system builders, with a proper warranty and proper support.