Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2013, 05:20 AM
Rookie

Default My high performance, good looks build

I present to you my near-future project.
The reason I'm posting here is because I want to get criticism/help on making things perfect. This will not be my first build.

This project overview:
Performance - This build will need to have top performance.
Looks - This build will have looks placed right below performance, it needs to look simply amazing.
Time - This build will take time, as I'll be saving up and buying part-by-part while I use my mid-range build. This means I have plenty of time to change/update parts while waiting.

So let's get the basics out of the way:
What it's going to be used for - Everything. Graphic design, 3D modelling, building large C++ projects (Google Chromium large), gaming in my spare time.
Budget - None really, let's try and keep it under $100,000 though.
Country - USA, Don't let the Russian name fool you.
Brand Preferences:
CPU - Intel
RAM - Mushkin, G.Skill, Corsair, ADATA. Although as with the motherboard I'm willing to go different.
HDD/SSD - HDD: Western Digital (No exceptions). SSD: I'm open to all brands.
GPU - MSI is my favorite, EVGA is my second choice.
PSU - Anything that's proven to work good and be reliable.

Question: Haswell vs Ivy-Bridge. (I'll be running a mild overclock, probably 4Ghz)
I hear Haswell has some issues and I'm not sure if I should go with it.

I will be running a 2 monitor setup. Using my main monitor of choice (Listed below) for games/main workspace and a separate monitor for doing secondary tasks (Skype, web browsing, etc) both 1080p.

Let's get this build planned then.

CPU - i7-4770k - Chose for it being the latest, and having the best current-gen performance.
Worries: Heat when OCing, I hear they're also flaky in general, but haven't seen proof of that.
Cooling: I plan to have a custom liquid cooling setup for the CPU. Although I don't have much
liquid cooling experience so I'll need a lot of guidance here.

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero - Recommended from Dzzope.

RAM - Mushkin Stealth 32GB (1600Mhz, 9-9-9-24) - Picked for my love of Mushkin, and their sleek look.

HDD/SSD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - Perfect hard drive for me.
- Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Chose for high recommendation.
- Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - This is a dedicated drive for a Debian install.

GPU - MSI GTX 770 4GB/OC - Picked because $200 more seems like too much for the 780.

PSU - Corsair AX860i - Picked because I've known Corsair to be reliable, I'm looking for advice here though. ~~EDIT: I've chosen a higher wattage in-case I'd like to pick up a second card later, or a higher powered card.~~

Case - NZXT Switch 810 Black - In terms of normal cases it's perfect, but, I want something specific actually. I'm looking for a case where the motherboard is set horizontal, not vertical (Like m-ITX cases. pic: http://i.imgur.com/rxXOYFM.jpg). I've seen them around just don't know the brand/model.

OS - Windows 8 64 Bit - Because I like Windows 8, sue me.
- Debian - C++ Development/building.
- $20 ASUS DVD Drive - for installing Windows

Monitor - Eizo FS2333 - IPS with an insanely low response time, for gaming and video/photo editing.
- ASUS VS228H-P - Secondary monitor

Keyboard - CM Storm QuickFire TK (Cherry Blue) - Having an MX-Blue mechanical keyboard is important to me.
Mouse - SteelSeries Sensei Raw - A good mouse is also important to me, for gaming, of course. I'm open to suggestions for other mice though.

As for the liquid cooling situation, I know the basics. I know I need:
Reservoir
Tubing
Fittings
CPU Block
Coolant - I'm looking to do a clear tubing/white coolant setup, as I've seen some like this and I love them
Am I missing anything, and what brands do I specifically look for? This is the only part that I'm not perfectly experienced in.

And that is my current build plan and questions in a nutshell, advice, criticism, and general opinions are welcome.

Last edited by WildRose; August 21, 2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Changing mobo, updating PSU info.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

First criticism I have is buying parts bit by bit...
Save till you have enough to make the rig work and then by all means add more after, eg sli /raid ssd's, custom loops, fancy case (can run it in an old case for a start).. etc.
You'll need to keep an eye on the market and tech news to see whats happening with prices and releases but you may find you save 20% or more overall by buying on a big sale in a few months rather than now and every few weeks or the like.

I would be tempted to put both your os on the SSD then Have the HDD's for the various packages etc you may need..

32GB Ram? you do big edits? 3d renders etc?

PSU is overkill if your going Mitx(single card).. good 650W~ will be plenty for a single card.

Have a look at the Asus maximus VI hero... review up here today... looks great and is an awesome performer.

If great performance is your goal you might be best going for / holding off for Sandy / IVY-E.
Either will stomp a 4770k if you go for one of the hex cores. Also as far as I'm aware if your working with VM's they have expanded instruction sets.

If you have enough of a budget and use for it I would be very tempted to go for a dedicated rendering rig and then work / game on your shiny box.
The cons are obvious.. your splitting your budget..
The big pro is that it doesn't matter what's rendering etc you can still work / game at full speed. If your doing large renders etc then it will take time(probably multiple hrs) no matter what.

Could pick up a second-hand Xeon or even AMD for not too much and have a monster rendering rig / folding / whatever you fancy...

The Mitx case there is a Bitfinx Prodigy.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; August 20, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With the components selected, it seems more like a high-mid range rig, rather than a true high end rig. Seriously, those are similar components to my gaming rig, and I do not consider mine truly 'high end'. Absolute high end would be waiting for IB-E, buying an ROG motherboard, then installing SLI Titans or 780's, triple monitor (or 2560x1600 single). The money required would be absolutely spectacular, though.

Seriously though, if you're going to be watercooling, drop the G45 and go for a higher end overclocking board. The G45 (which I have) is a great board, but there are other boards out there that have better VRM's and heatsinks, and if you are going to be spending the money to watercool, you may as well go for a pimp board right off the bat (G45 is a nice board, but hardly what I would call 'pimp').

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 20, 2013, 11:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would not consider a 770 and a 4770k as mid range,these are relatively top products
Old August 21, 2013, 12:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So you're doing video editing? 3D modeling!??! Can I nudge you towards a socket 2011? Or even better, wait for the next enthusiast incarnation from Intel. Quad channel memory is so great compared to dual channel, if you can actually use the memory bandwidth. The extra cores will also kick ass.

If you're doing work on it why not buy a raid card and run a raid z array? You can lose 2 drives and still have your data

Why not get a 120Hz monitor for gaming and keep the IPS for your photo and video editing?

What about a tertiary touch screen monitor for windows 8?

For custom loop watercooling it is generally accepted that if you use coloured coolant you have to take apart your rig about every 6 months to a year and clean gunk deposited in the blocks. A common solution is to use coloured tubing and distilled water either will a kill coil or with some sort of additive and a corrosion inhibitor if you're mixing metals in the loop.

Also, if you're looking for the top of the line system and want to watercool your cpu anyways, evga does make a gtx780 with a preinstalled waterblock
Old August 21, 2013, 04:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
First criticism I have is buying parts bit by bit...
Save till you have enough to make the rig work and then by all means add more after, eg sli /raid ssd's, custom loops, fancy case (can run it in an old case for a start).. etc.
We'll see how it goes, I might just do that.

Quote:
I would be tempted to put both your os on the SSD then Have the HDD's for the various packages etc you may need..
I'm just going to be keeping Linux on the Blue drive since it already boots fast and I won't need the speed for building C++, works fine on my current blue drive.

Quote:
32GB Ram? you do big edits? 3d renders etc?
Yep, I'd get less if I didn't need it.

Quote:
PSU is overkill if your going Mitx(single card).. good 650W~ will be plenty for a single card.
Not going m-ITX. That's just the style of case I want. I'll be going normal ATX, and want the option to go dual-card later if I need it. I should've mentioned that in the OP, will update.

Quote:
Have a look at the Asus maximus VI hero... review up here today... looks great and is an awesome performer.
Switched to the Hero, will update OP.

Quote:
If great performance is your goal you might be best going for / holding off for Sandy / IVY-E.
Either will stomp a 4770k if you go for one of the hex cores. Also as far as I'm aware if your working with VM's they have expanded instruction sets.
That's going to be running on LGA2011, right?

Quote:
If you have enough of a budget and use for it I would be very tempted to go for a dedicated rendering rig and then work / game on your shiny box.
The cons are obvious.. your splitting your budget..
The big pro is that it doesn't matter what's rendering etc you can still work / game at full speed. If your doing large renders etc then it will take time(probably multiple hrs) no matter what.

Could pick up a second-hand Xeon or even AMD for not too much and have a monster rendering rig / folding / whatever you fancy...
I thought of this before, But I already render when I'm out/when I'm asleep, perfect times. And it gets done plenty fast on my current rig so I can't imagine on this one.

Quote:
The Mitx case there is a Bitfinx Prodigy.
Thanks, Anything like it for ATX?
Old August 21, 2013, 05:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
So you're doing video editing? 3D modeling!??! Can I nudge you towards a socket 2011? Or even better, wait for the next enthusiast incarnation from Intel. Quad channel memory is so great compared to dual channel, if you can actually use the memory bandwidth. The extra cores will also kick ass.
I'm trying to stay away from 2011 and keep with 1150, I know I'll suffer in performance a bit, but it's just what I want specifically.

Quote:
If you're doing work on it why not buy a raid card and run a raid z array? You can lose 2 drives and still have your data
I'll have a backup RAID set up on my current PC and leave it on the network.

Quote:
Why not get a 120Hz monitor for gaming and keep the IPS for your photo and video editing?
Because for half the price I can have a monitor that's great for gaming and editing and I don't <need> 120hz.
Quote:
What about a tertiary touch screen monitor for windows 8?
That's actually a great idea, I'll look into a touch tablet to mount on my desk.

Quote:
For custom loop watercooling it is generally accepted that if you use coloured coolant you have to take apart your rig about every 6 months to a year and clean gunk deposited in the blocks. A common solution is to use coloured tubing and distilled water either will a kill coil or with some sort of additive and a corrosion inhibitor if you're mixing metals in the loop.
How different would it look with just white tubing rather than the white coolant? And I'm aware of the maintenance but how long would the service period be if I used plain water?

Quote:
Also, if you're looking for the top of the line system and want to watercool your cpu anyways, evga does make a gtx780 with a preinstalled waterblock
For $800 :/ I noticed they have a liquid 770 for the price of a 780 though... Tempting...Tempting..screw it adding it to the list.
Old August 22, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
I would not consider a 770 and a 4770k as mid range,these are relatively top products
Depends on your viewpoint... from the viewpoint of a standard user then hell yes.. but for the above they are what you would spec without question and consider the i5 budget and 2011 as high performance.

All about perspective.

On the case and a horizontal mount for the mobo.... erm? Large desktop (not tower) style maybe.. ATX is quite a large foot-print.

Not aware of anything that does this except maybe a custom design (unless you just lay a case on it's side lol)
Am sure there are probably some kind of option for it somewhere but I think it will cost more than it's worth and be very limiting in style options.

Just got a NZXT P630 myself... awesome so far... Building it tonight and I already feel like it's going to be one of the easiest cases I've ever worked in and looks awesome too. 820 might be more up your street?
or one of the new phantecs.
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Review | techPowerUp

There are many many cases to choose from ... just find the right combo of features, style quality and price to suit.

Any particular reason your staying away from the 2011 socket?
Can't remember if the new Ivy-E is gonna be a new socket or 2011.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; August 22, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old August 24, 2013, 02:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll be honest... the coloured tubing looks about half as cool as the coloured liquid, especially in person!!

The service period for running pure water in a properly installed system without mixing metals (aluminum and copper don't get along without an additive), and a silver kill coil properly installed, you should be able to run the system for years without draining the loop. Should being the operative word! However I would probably service the loop every year or so just because I love tinkering with stuff, and deionized water is cheap.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

New Ivy E will be 2011 Socket X79 Chipset.....compatible with most X79 Boards with a Bios update.