Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2013, 05:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default To Haswell or not to Haswell?

Buying (hopefully today / tomorrow) cpu and mobo..
I was looking at the z77 G45 gaming and 3770k or something similar on 4770k...

Few months into haswell, what are your verdicts?

I will be overclocking and mostly gaming so thats where my priority lies. (work with VM's hence the i7 over an i5)
Basically I'm trying to decide whether it is worth going haswell so that I can drop in a 5xxxk chip later or should I stick to the slightly cooler and hopefully hight clocking Ivy's?

Cooler:
Will be putting it under a corsair H100i or maybe the new Antec 1250..
Input here would be appreciated too... I like the 5yr warranty Corsair gives... gives me more confidence in their product.. Thoughts?

Motherboard... Well I'm kinda trying to stick to one that has a pci slot for my sound-card.. but it's not 100% needed.
I won't touch Gigabyte..

SSD
This and the cooler will be bought in a couple of weeks as stock is out here and I am going home anyway so either way I need to choose a good SSD.. The Extreme II looks promising.. Thoughts?

Have the case(NZXT P630), PSU(XFX 1000W Platinum, was on sale) and a pair of 780's on stand-by for this..
lets get your thoughts with the CPU / mobo as the focus firstly. :D
(not forgetting anything am I? (have ram)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 19, 2013, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you require any pass-through of add-in cards to your VMs? Only Non-K chips will support VT-d for PCI-E pass through.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well you are buying new cpu and mobo, if there are no monetary constraints I would go with the newer products. Sure Haswell is a bit more efficient then IB/SB, but just a bit, 5-10% at the same frequency and I don't see Intel pulling any rabbit out of their hat at the next generation either, except maybe IGP which is not your focus anyway. Sure, if you want to ''future proof'' go with Haswell generation. Otherwise you can stay on a 1155 platform.
Mobo : I don't really know MSI on the 1155 platform, loved it on AM3 however. I worked a lot with Asus and never been let down. In general when I am shopping I am looking at what people buy most on newegg, look at the products with most buys and at the rating too, choosing a product that has the least one egg rating.
I don't have WC experience so I won't go in there, but as for SSD : I had plenty and the ones that I liked most are the Crucial ones, I still have a 128GB M4 that is lightning fast giving a 7.9 WEI in Win7.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Planning on overclocking? Go with the Z77/3770K. Planning on running stock speeds? Go haswell.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 19, 2013, 07:50 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I dont see any reason to go with IB over Haswell if you are building a new machine. Haswell has improved iGPU, efficiency, and performance. Plus LGA1150 is compatible with Broadwell which will be out in 2014.
Old August 19, 2013, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Only thing I would recommend if you are going Haswell, see if you can wait one more month for the fixed chipset, since it seems you are waiting for the SSD anyway.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea but I can live with slow boot.... but i have 2 780's etc sitting here and my work lappy ain't up to gaming... old PC is gone already so am looking at now..

Ok... 3770k it is... doubt broadwell will improve anything enough to make me want to change anyway (even if I was on sandy) and haswells savings improvements in efficiency and IGP are minuscule or not relevant.

So looking for a z77 board (not gigabyte) that will be good and hopefully look at least decent in a p630 (first windowed case, not really into it but if it's there is may as well look good :D)

Probably gonna jump on the MPower for the added vrm cooling and 3770k now before I finish work. Asus are very expensive here ($197 for a z77-v vs $202 for a MSI MPower) and I don't think it's worth it for a pci sound card...
I can just grab a pci-e one and flog or pass this one on.

Any more input on the AIO's and the SSD please continue.
Want to try something Near top end.. Trim etc as my last build used a performance pro and it was good but I felt like it was slowing...
Might even go for raid 256GB drives.. but my local e-tailor is out of nearly all their 256GB drives ... 120's all thats left.

Question for AKG if your about mate... If you had a choice between a 2TB black (FAEX) and a 2TB RE4(FYYS) at the same price(RE4 is actua;lly $5 cheaper. :P )... Which would you go for? Might raid in future... but 1 drive for now.
And whats the RE4 like for noise?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; August 19, 2013 at 09:29 AM.