Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2013, 07:33 AM
Trial Member

Default Re:Battlefield 4 Release Rig

Ok need a little help guys looking to build 2 computers one for media center beside my tv capable of gaming
and a straight up custom gaming rig for battlefield 4 release
what would you guys say should be i would need for parts
Old August 9, 2013, 10:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

That depends on your budget and if you have any parts you want to reuse. (Also the resolution you'd like to be playing at)
Old August 9, 2013, 11:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Give us a maximum budget and tell us what resolution and size of monitors you plan on using for BF4, and also what is acceptable minimum frame rate for your own personal tastes. You are going to see a huge spread of how much the rig will cost depending on your acceptable minimum frame rate and the displays you want to use.

Also, tell us if you plan to stream with the computer, and if you going to do video editing, it really matters.

For example if you're just gaming i'd go with an i5, gaming and streaming i'd go with AMD fx 8350, gaming and video editing i'd go with an i7 or a socket 2011 if you can use the extra memory bandwidth.

Remember people, radeon has fixed the microstutter problem with CFX setups, and bf4 is radeon friendly to say the least.

Also, specific to the GPUs, what level of noise are you willing to tolerate? I'll be really honest, my trifire 6950 setup on air is frekin loud when I play BF3 and want to keep my temps under 70.

So to summarize please list your budget, displays and your tolerances to both noise and minimum frame rates and we can hook you up with a sick build.
Old August 9, 2013, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Need budget and resolutions. This is just an assumption, but BF4 should perform around the same as BF3.
Old August 10, 2013, 07:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

These days haswell cpu from intel, i7 and, non multithreaded, version the i5. These are the 2 main intel cpus, Amd has offerings but nothing to match the speed of the intels.

Newest intel's are socket 1150 (haswell), also there is the 1155 socket. These are your choices for normal builds. Both puters you want the biggest ssd u can afford, ie Samsung pro, OCZ vector and a few intel selections for u to choose from.

Video cards me personally I buy the biggest single gpu card I can afford. Your choices are Nvidia and Amd. I run an Amd 7970.

Now cooling all this hardware, me personally would go with water, there is kits from manufacturers and 1 piece ready to go solutions. If going aqua your hardware choices have to be checked in regards as to whether there is blocks for your video cards available so keep this in mind.

Cases is something u need to choice is allot of nice cases to choose from these days from HE caselabs to coolermaster. (again if water cooling u need to choice a proper case minimum you need at least a couple 240 rads or bigger, a 360 and 240 I use inside my case).

living room u want a quiet computer when watching media but obviously won't matter once ya start gaming, here would maybe go a smaller matx case/board setup and 1155 socket running a mid level vid card. Been looking into this too lately.

This may give u an idea where to start.

Last edited by nasrott; August 13, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old August 12, 2013, 10:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
These days haswell cpu from intel, i7 and, non multithreaded, version the i5. These are the 2 main intel cpus, Amd has offerings but nothing to match the speed of the intels.

Newest intel's are socket 1150 (haswell), also there is the 1155 socket. These are your choices for normal builds. Both puters you want the biggest ssd u can afford, ie Samsung pro, OCZ vector and a few intel selections for u to choose from.

Video cards me personally I buy the biggest single gpu card I can afford. Your choices are Nvidia and Amd. I run an Amd 9770.

Now cooling all this hardware, me personally would go with water, there is kits from manufacturers and 1 piece ready to go solutions. If going aqua your hardware choices have to be checked in regards as to whether there is blocks for your video cards available so keep this in mind.

Cases is something u need to choice is allot of nice cases to choose from these days from HE caselabs to coolermaster. (again if water cooling u need to choice a proper case minimum you need at least a couple 240 rads or bigger, a 360 and 240 I use inside my case).

living room u want a quiet computer when watching media but obviously won't matter once ya start gaming, here would maybe go a smaller matx case/board setup and 1155 socket running a mid level vid card. Been looking into this too lately.

This may give u an idea where to start.
I think you mean AMD7970 :P
Old August 13, 2013, 02:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ya was getting ahead of myself there 7970 is correct.