Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2013, 06:46 PM
Rookie

Default Complete newbie looking for build advice

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
Primarily gaming and streaming video, but there will also be ripping of videos via HandBrake, sound editing via Audacity and hopefully some light Photoshop. Also, I plan on doing things like Skype, Google Hangouts and the like. Gaming may be an FPS or two, but will primarily be RPGs and MMOs.

2. What YOUR budget is.
$2000 max, including taxes and shipping (to Ottawa, Canada), although I am not hell-bent on spending up to that limit.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
I would prefer Intel.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
I have Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit, but I do not know if it will work on a modern system. If yes, great, if not, I need an OS.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I have looked around other places, but most threads are based in the US and have US prices and availability. I would like something more specific to Canadian prices. I don't know enough to know what is good advice, what is bad advice, or how to know what can be dropped down in order to upgrade something else.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Overclocking will be done, but only as a way of extending the lifespan or future-proofing. It is not necessary, and I have absosmurfly no experience overclocking, and I am not particularly interested in learning the ins and outs of overclocking. If there is one-button overclocking, that would be awesome.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
I plan on purchasing in the next month or so and building shortly thereafter.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
It will be for gaming, but as my build involves a monitor, I assume that will be a starting point. The limitation on the monitor is that the spot on my desk where my monitor will be going is 24 inches wide, so any monitor *has* to fit in there.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
Wifi is a must. The monitor should have multiple HDMI inputs as I will also be using it as a monitor for an XBoxOne and PS4. I would like a mechanical keyboard, but have had no experience with them. An internal optical drive would be nice, but not necessary as I can access a USB DVD drive. I would really, really like the case to have headphone and USB ports on the front. (I *think* that is standard on all cases these days, but I don't know. That should give you an idea of the last time I built a PC.) An SSD would be nice, but not necessary if it doesn't fit into the budget.

If possible, I would like the PC to be able to, in 3 or 4 years be able to upgrade the PC via upgrading the GPU and, if possible (although this is not predictable) the CPU.

Here is a preliminary parts build I grabbed from PCPartPicker.
I played around a bit on PCPartPicker.com

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($165.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.50 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair 600T ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.90 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($189.00 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1632.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 23:46 EDT-0400)

Edit 1 - Added some details in italics.

Edit 2 - Added a preliminary parts build.

Last edited by mudbunny; July 31, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well the OS should be x64 just so you can use more the 4 GB ram. what type of gaming you plan on doing? I actually would look at some of the motherboard and CPU reviews so you can get an idea of what more you want.

I myself was using an older AMD 1100T be and used my PC for the same as what you are wanting to build back then the 15 2500k intels where the thing so I waited for a while until the new stuff came out and bought a new motherboard and a used cpu and to be totally honest I didn't notice any difference gaming at all but I noticed a huge different when I was editing and rippping video or other multitasking the Intel is slower and stutters even with 8 GB ran and OC to 4.5 Ghz . but I am still using the intel becasue I cannot be bothered to go through the hassle of moving my Rads ( watercooling) and hoses just to drop the AMD back in.
SSD if you want 5-15 second faster boot times just make sure you have a Hard drive also for all vids or files that don't require speed.
I would think that most of the newer intels would be good but like I mentioned I would look through some of the reviews on the CPU and motherboard just to get the Numbers, heat, and possible Overclocking.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:57 PM
Rookie

Gaming may be some FPS's, but more likely to be RPGs, MMOs.

An SSD is not necessary, but if it can fit one in, I wouldn't mind.
Old July 31, 2013, 08:06 PM
Allstar

You need 64bit OS period. I suggest i5-4570K with at least 16GB (2x8) or you can pick up some older 2011 CPU here from other forum members. Someone is selling a 6C/12T for $360 ish is not bad considering you don't have to pay tax and the new Haswell i7 4C/8T is already $340.
Old July 31, 2013, 08:49 PM
Rookie

I played around a bit on PCPartPicker.com

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($165.00 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair 600T ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.90 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor ($189.00 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1632.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 23:46 EDT-0400)

(Edited into the OP)
Old July 31, 2013, 08:53 PM
Rookie

Note that due to me editing a pcpartspicker list in that includes URLs, it appears that my OP has gone into a moderation queue.
Old August 1, 2013, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not sure if you really need an i7 but it all looks good to me
Old August 1, 2013, 01:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

consider the Corsair AX750... ten more bucks for fully modular.
Old August 1, 2013, 01:44 PM
Allstar

Kind of odd that you're buying 2 single sticks of RAM. See if you can get a pair for cheaper. As for the case, I think a Corsair 300R will do fine unless you really really want it to be fancy. Finally, do you really need a BluRay drive?
Old August 1, 2013, 08:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I am not sure if you really need an i7 but it all looks good to me
I grabbed the i7 because I figured that, it being newer and such, it would last a little bit longer in the arms race against obolete'ness. Plus, there is always the possibility tat I will be abe to just buy a more powerful CPU down the road in 3 or 4 years and the socket will be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
consider the Corsair AX750... ten more bucks for fully modular.
Thanks. Could you give me a link that gives a simple explanation of modular vs whatever I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Kind of odd that you're buying 2 single sticks of RAM. See if you can get a pair for cheaper. As for the case, I think a Corsair 300R will do fine unless you really really want it to be fancy. Finally, do you really need a BluRay drive?
I looked for a pair and, when I was checking, the price was about $1 more expensive for a pair. The case I grabbed because I noticed a lot of people saying this was a good case. Solid, and easy to build in. A BluRay drive is not necessary. I (and by I, I mean my wife) currently have an USB DVD R/W drive.