Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2013, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbunny View Post
I grabbed the i7 because I figured that, it being newer and such, it would last a little bit longer in the arms race against obolete'ness...

Thanks. Could you give me a link that gives a simple explanation of modular vs whatever I have?
The i5 4670K and its i7 counterpart were released at the same time.
For gaming, I think it's still debatable whether the Core i7's hyperthreading will save you from a generation of CPU upgrade or not. If you prefer gaming performance over your video / image editing performance, I recommend going i5 and putting the money into more video card. Otherwise I'd leave it as-is.

See for modular power supply:
Power supply unit (computer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Modular PSUs allow you to remove cables that you don't need to save space and have a cleaner layout. The HX looks like it has a non-modular CPU connector and ATX connector, while the AX has modular everything (note I don't own either of them). I think that difference is minimal though, since you're not going to build a computer with no ATX connector while still using the other stuff
Old August 6, 2013, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
The i5 4670K and its i7 counterpart were released at the same time.
For gaming, I think it's still debatable whether the Core i7's hyperthreading will save you from a generation of CPU upgrade or not. If you prefer gaming performance over your video / image editing performance, I recommend going i5 and putting the money into more video card. Otherwise I'd leave it as-is.
Gaming on the system will probably be >90% of the use as compared to video/image editing. SO I will switch to the i5 4670. Thanks!

Thanks for the info on modular power supplies!!