Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2013, 11:01 AM
Rookie

Red face A Few Questions; Need Advice

Hey guys! My parts arrive tomorrow. I'm actually pretty excited, but also a little nervous, so I just have one or two questions I need help with.

1. How can I keep myself grounded? I'm not using wristbands or gloves or anything like that. Should I just touch some metal every now and then? Stand barefoot on my wooden floors or any other hoodoo stuff?
2. I plan to do a test boot outside of the case (seen in Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube at 14:00). He shorts two pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver. Is that all I need to do? Also; I won't have a speaker to hear the beep, but I assume that's fine?
3. We've all heard about magnets ruining computers. Now, I just wanted to be 100% sure on this one. Using a magnetic screwdriver; yes or no? I doubt the magnet in the screwdriver is powerful enough to cause any damage?
4. (Dumb question) It's ok to open the motherboard's anti-static bag with a knife, right?

Please, forgive my stupidity, and thanks in advance for the help! (You guys are always awesome with replies)
Old July 28, 2013, 11:47 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

1. No need; just don't assemble your rig with wool socks on, standing a carpet floor. Shoes and a table is all that you need.
2. Lay board on top of its box. Assemble CPU, 1 stick of ram (slot per manual), GPU (and monitor) and PSU. Check out the manual to know which 2 pins to short. BIOS will POST then.
3. No problem using a magnetic screwdriver, been using the same one (Snap-On) for years without a single problem, even on HDDs.
4. Don't cut the anti-static bag, since you'll need it if you ever sell / have to RMA the board. The bag will be closed with a scotch tape, that's it. Same goes for the HDD and GPU.

Also, be extra careful when you'll install the CPU, don't bend any pins - don't loose that socket cover too (for reselling / RMA purposes).

Enjoy your build, and the rush of powering on the 1st time. I still do after all those years (15+).
Old July 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
1. No need; just don't assemble your rig with wool socks on, standing a carpet floor. Shoes and a table is all that you need.
2. Lay board on top of its box. Assemble CPU, 1 stick of ram (slot per manual), GPU (and monitor) and PSU. Check out the manual to know which 2 pins to short. BIOS will POST then.
3. No problem using a magnetic screwdriver, been using the same one (Snap-On) for years without a single problem, even on HDDs.
4. Don't cut the anti-static bag, since you'll need it if you ever sell / have to RMA the board. The bag will be closed with a scotch tape, that's it. Same goes for the HDD and GPU.

Also, be extra careful when you'll install the CPU, don't bend any pins - don't loose that socket cover too (for reselling / RMA purposes).

Enjoy your build, and the rush of powering on the 1st time. I still do after all those years (15+).
Thank you so much! much more informed on the whole situation. So, shorting the two pins is literally just a matter of connecting them via the metal on a screwdriver?
Old July 28, 2013, 01:47 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yup; this will power on the board. Make sure you have the HSF installed too...

Tags
advice , first build , noob