Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2013, 05:06 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Help build the "console killer"

Heyo,
Im gonna build my first computer in august and im going to need your help. I own a Ps3 that sucks, but not as much as my computer (look at my rig in my profile). My budget is 1000€-1100€ and it dosnīt include periphials or Windows 7. Make sure to recomend other parts that may suit me better, but they have to be found here in Finland and in a reasonable price. Im going to use this pc for gaming and such. I dont want this computer to be noisy like my current one, but still powerful. I am not a fanboy, but i prefer Intels unlocked processors.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel 4670K
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8Gb
Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb
WD Caviar Black 1Tb
Corsair GS600
Gigabyte GC-WB150 Wifi-card
Antec Eleven Hundred
Asus DVD-driver
Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X
Few Enermax Magma Fans

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im going to try to answer your comments or questions as fast as possible.

Last edited by Higuel; July 23, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old July 15, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your using it for gaming then you need to add a video card. you would probably save more on parts using a second hand or bargain basement rig with a €100 GPU in it than a 4770k with on-board.

Really don't get this. Console killer is something that matches a consoles price and still beats it.

Suggestions for this build.. If you need to have it now
1) Look again in august.
2) Drop to an i5
3) Drop the SSD for now.
4) Drop the custom cooler.
5) Drop the extra fans. (and the wireless card(if you can) and anything else you don't need like the dvd drive)
6) Get a cheaper motherboard.

7) Get a video-card when you build.

Stay away from seagate consumer drives. Grab a 1TB WD Blue/black

If I was you I would get the budget together for the machine you want, then buy it. Don't buy in dribs and drabs because you'll constantly be spending on it.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 15, 2013, 08:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions however buying a gpu at this point isnīt ideal. I would like to go with nvidia, but i would rather wait to see what AMD is offering before paying 400€ for a 770. As I stated before I will not game on this rig until next summer, when game developers stop producing games for the PS3 (and trying to play with my friends as long as possible). For why im going with something as expencive, may sound odd to you, but I want my PC to be a investment that will last from 3-5 years without major improvements. Now to answer the rest of your suggestions

1) Kinda have to build it in august because of school starting in mid-august. That way it wont affect my schoolwork. And Iīll have more time building it.
2) Yes, that has been something iīve considered. Dont really need hyperthreading or generally an i7 for now. Perhaps in the future it might be useful for editing, rendering and such, but not relevant right now.
3) That is also one of the biggest questions for me that do I go with an ssd or not.
4) Im going to overclock the processor so that aint an option
5) The antec dosnt come with fans (well two exhaust fans) so extra airflow is needed. The DVD-drive and the Wifi-card are essencial (Windows 7 on a disk and we have a wireless connection).
6) That is also a valid point. Something like a gigabyte ud3h or a msi gd45 gaming should do the trick.
7) I answered this briefly, but if I would go with a gpu then theres no idea for to go with haswell. I could just go with a 3570k instead. In Finland everything costs ALOT. A 3770K is more than 400$.
8) Great I didnīt know that was the case. If you could cound you please tell whats the matter with seagate. WD is a great company and I wouldnīt mind reseaching a bit about their harddrives.

Thanks for your suggestions! Now have to look more in depth on some products.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Heh, the thread title is worthy.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

See, I don't get why your building a new rig at all.. if it's for school grab a cheap laptop and wait on this rig till your actually going to use it.

You won't need to oc right away so leave out the expensive cooler or go for something MUCH cheaper (CM Hyper 212 for eg)

I would say get an SSD if you can afford it.. If you can't afford a GPU then no.. don't bother yet.

Your rig will be cool running anyway so just put 1 of the exhausts in the front and it will be fine till you have some more cash.

Think about an AMD build if you'll be doing rendering etc.

See FAR too many seagates fail and a 1-2yr warranty (depending on where you are and what drive) vs WD 3 - 5 yr warranty.. no brainer for me.

3570k has IGP as well as haswell (just not as good but you won't be using it after you get an GPU anyway).

Old July 15, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm with Dzzope on this one, if you're building a "console killer" but using intels IGP you're taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If I drop the h80i and come down to an i5 I could go with a msi 660 twinfrozr and still have a ssd. Money is not a problem, but i prefer not to put all of my money on a computer. The 760īs havenīt arrived here yet and 770īs are a bit expencive. Amdīs 7870 and 7950 are the same price, but nvidia has cuda and physix. The ssd could be larger though, like a 120gb.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your building by august I would bet that the 760 would come in before then(or at least before the end of August)

I would agree with the 120GB SSD too.

Old July 15, 2013, 09:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

The 760 is out but its 279,90€ and the 660 is 199,90€. The 760 isnīt worth it right now. The price will drop in a few weeks as more stores start selling it. I know kingston has a pretty solid 120gb ssd that isnīt that expensive. Any recommendations on ssd manufacturers?
Old July 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Samsung 840 PRO or if looking for something a lil less high-end (still really fast) the M500 from crucial, 330 from intel are both good.

Read lots of reviews and read the sticky thread in the storage section here to get the best from your SSD.

Tags
build , computer , computer build , intel