Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2013, 07:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need Recommendations for a 2P Build!

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
- Folding (CPU & GPU), NAS.

2. What YOUR budget is.
- Hoping to keep it around $2000.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
- Canada.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
- Not really, just want reliability.
- ASUS or Supermicro?

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
- Case Labs M8 Case (fits ATX and I can mod it to fit 12x13" EATX)
- Silverstone ST1500 PSU

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
- I have read posts and articles on these types of builds but I am unable to reach a conclusion.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
- Probably will not be able to.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
- Within 3 months.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
- 1600p.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
- Decent power consumption.

------------------------------------------------------

For the record, I have never had experience building a 2P system before.
Never done any folding, and have never setup a home server/NAS.

If I am looking to build a new folding rig (CPU + GPU), what motherboard should I be looking at?
I would prefer a 2P LGA2011 or G34 platform, but could settle for a 1P if it will suffice.

For example, if I were to go with LGA2011, here are a few motherboards I have been looking at:

P9X79-E WS? Single Xeon with 4 x16 PCI-E lanes.
Z9PE-D8 WS? Dual Xeon and 7 PCI-E x16 lanes.
Z9PA-D8? Dual Xeon and 2 PCI-E x16 lanes.

I am leaning towards:
- Z9PA-D8 (decent reviews, ATX, 2P)
- a couple low end Xeon E5s (2620, 2630 because I cannot afford much more)
- a single GTX Titan/780 (good performance for folding?)

Does this list sound ok?
Or am I going in the totally wrong direction?
There probably is a cheaper G34 alternative, right?

I list ASUS motherboards because I have a RMA center 10 minutes from my home.
I am ok with Supermicro or other brands as well.

Please provide me with some recommendations!
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by lootbag; July 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: changes
Old July 11, 2013, 07:46 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

You don't need to processors for that rig. I would also suggest against going with a Computer to run as a home server, a Design PC, and folding. You'd be far better off to build one PC for each of those. For instance: 500$ into a NAS like home server, not including drives, you can add those as you need them. 1500$ for your design PC, basically a 4770/3770, Maybe K if you want, and a lower end Quadro/Firepro. Folding rig: Maybe 500$? Get some core 2 quad, or a lower end I3, and just let it go to town. Get some very efficent PSU. and call it a day, use the onboard IGPU. and you're set. I can lay out builds if you want and really good ideas for each build. However i'm not going to unless you want.
Old July 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I thought this would be the case but I just do not want to own so many computers.
In the bedroom, I already have one 3770K/GTX670 machine for everyday use, gaming and occasional 3D modeling/rendering, as well as a Lenovo W520 (i7 2720QM/Quadro 2000) laptop.
I was planning to place this new build in the basement where it is a low ambient temperature all the time (or in another room) and to reduce the amount of heat build up in my bedroom.
If possible, I would still like to build one computer to act as a server/folding machine, I could do without the workstation component.
Old July 11, 2013, 08:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yikes... You don't really want to have a server folding all the time... Would you be willing to do perhaps medium folding? so there isn't to much constant load on the CPU's. Because these Xeons get HOT!

ASUS P8Z77-V, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black CL9 @1600Mhz, 3570K Stock, Sapphire 7950, Corsair TX850M, H100I, 900D, 2TB WD RED.

"Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a dozen, because some bakers would view a dozen as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
Old July 11, 2013, 09:08 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Makes sense, maybe I should be rethinking my strategy here haha.
Seems kind of dumb but I have a CaseLabs M8 case and Silverstone ST1500 PSU (overkill) that I was trying to re-purpose for this build, rather than trying to sell them.
Old July 11, 2013, 09:22 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

You can use the PSU, i don't know about the Case. It'll be hard if not impossible to find a server Motherboard that supports dual processors, that ATX. I'm thinking you're going to have to invest in a case.

Another thing are you sure you want to do a 2 Processor Server? You'll need ECC memory which is bloody expensive.

One last point, if you do want to build a server that does regular back ups of everything and folds it's possible. I can help with that. However there is no way you want to run Design programs on it at the same time. So heres what you can do: Build your server for like 2500, gets winders home server 2012 or whatever. Run it as a dedicated backup machine, and folding machine.

ASUS P8Z77-V, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black CL9 @1600Mhz, 3570K Stock, Sapphire 7950, Corsair TX850M, H100I, 900D, 2TB WD RED.

"Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a dozen, because some bakers would view a dozen as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
Old July 11, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenP View Post
You can use the PSU, i don't know about the Case. It'll be hard if not impossible to find a server Motherboard that supports dual processors, that ATX. I'm thinking you're going to have to invest in a case.

Another thing are you sure you want to do a 2 Processor Server? You'll need ECC memory which is bloody expensive.

One last point, if you do want to build a server that does regular back ups of everything and folds it's possible. I can help with that. However there is no way you want to run Design programs on it at the same time. So heres what you can do: Build your server for like 2500, gets winders home server 2012 or whatever. Run it as a dedicated backup machine, and folding machine.
my 2p server ( g34) uses non ecc ram and works perfectly I was using mine for folding and also storage for my vid files plus a few others the only thing I don't like is that it does get pretty warm in my room when running this thing which is great in the fall winter because I can have my window wide open for fresh air but in the spring summer I shut it down because it does get hot also I picked up some spicy chips that don't like the asus motherboard so I couldn't OC at all so I am stuck with the 6128s which run perfect but I wanted to oc so if you are running 2p g34 and might or are going to OC don't get the asus kgpe motherboard the are not very stable for ocing but on the other side they are cheap and for stock settings work perfectly also if noise is an issue I heard to not t buy cpu coolers like dynatron they can get pretty noisy when I built mine I did a biut of reading then bought the noctua they are pretty quiet
Old July 11, 2013, 12:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
my 2p server ( g34) uses non ecc ram and works perfectly I was using mine for folding and also storage for my vid files plus a few others the only thing I don't like is that it does get pretty warm in my room when running this thing which is great in the fall winter because I can have my window wide open for fresh air but in the spring summer I shut it down because it does get hot also I picked up some spicy chips that don't like the asus motherboard so I couldn't OC at all so I am stuck with the 6128s which run perfect but I wanted to oc so if you are running 2p g34 and might or are going to OC don't get the asus kgpe motherboard the are not very stable for ocing but on the other side they are cheap and for stock settings work perfectly also if noise is an issue I heard to not t buy cpu coolers like dynatron they can get pretty noisy when I built mine I did a biut of reading then bought the noctua they are pretty quiet
Thanks for the input, a 2P G34 build seems more cost effective especially when I can get 6128s for $40-60. Noise and heat won't be an issue because it will be placed in another location. No air coolers for me, I have some leftover watercooling gear that will be used, just need to buy blocks. I won't be trying to OC either.

Back to the purpose of the machine, it will primarily be for F@H but I was hoping to just place all my HDDs in it as well and have it act as a NAS. That way i could get rid of all the HDD noise in my room. Hopefully, there isn't too much of an issue with having it act as a NAS when I am home and fold while I am out of the house or at night when I am sleeping. I did not think it would be that bad of an idea to have this type of dual purpose machine.
Old July 11, 2013, 03:34 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

With the ppd that GPUs produce these days, a 2P for folding is not worthwhile at all. In order to have an acceptable return on investment ppd-wise, you need to step into the 4P world (did that twice) and go for the Bigadv WUs with 6174s or 6272s. That's where the money is for CPU folding.

Otherwise, stick to GPUs (780s, even a Titan) for ppd/w and ppd/$ folding performance. Hopefully Lowfat will chime in for the GPU side of things.

NAS, I sold my server and invested in a QNap setup (8 bays, Raid 6). Small, noiseless, power efficient and so easy to configure it's a joke.
Old July 11, 2013, 04:17 PM

My System Specs

PPD/$ your best bet is to go w/ GTX780s more than likely. A pair of them will yield higher numbers than a pair of e5-2630s and will be cheaper.