Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
With the ppd that GPUs produce these days, a 2P for folding is not worthwhile at all. In order to have an acceptable return on investment ppd-wise, you need to step into the 4P world (did that twice) and go for the Bigadv WUs with 6174s or 6272s. That's where the money is for CPU folding.

Otherwise, stick to GPUs (780s, even a Titan) for ppd/w and ppd/$ folding performance. Hopefully Lowfat will chime in for the GPU side of things.

NAS, I sold my server and invested in a QNap setup (8 bays, Raid 6). Small, noiseless, power efficient and so easy to configure it's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
PPD/$ your best bet is to go w/ GTX780s more than likely. A pair of them will yield higher numbers than a pair of e5-2630s and will be cheaper.
Following the original post, I did do some reading on folding CPU vs GPU and did realize a pair of GTX780s/Titans do fold well.
Based on what you guys are saying it will just be more cost effective and make more sense to go 1P and a pair of GTX780s.
I could probably get more use out of a system like that too.
For the 1P, I guess it does not really matter what I go with, could be Ivy, Haswell or SB-E. Going to try to avoid SB-E, I wanted to wait for Haswell-E.

I guess I will have to take a look at what to do about the NAS.
Build one from scratch or buy a unit like the QNAP.
I was really hoping to tinker around with FreeNAS and do my own thing.

Thanks for the input thus far everyone!
Much appreciated.
Old July 12, 2013, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Things in the folding world change very fast. I remember not long ago 8thread highly clocked machines were able to complete bigadv units in time and everybody was running after the i7s. Now is a total turn over and the graphic cards are again on the wave. You need to go with the flow for folding. Can`t plan too far ahead.
Unless you ran after those cheap 4P socket F Supermicros on ebay, probably a 500$ project in total will net you the -bigadv units. Evga forum provides a lot of support for them, how to build it.

Last edited by MARSTG; August 15, 2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: 4P thought
Old August 15, 2013, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lootbag View Post
especially when I can get 6128s for $40-60.
really? where?