Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2013, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Kinda hard to recommend anything when you don't tell people what your system will be used for. Would need to know your resolution too if you're gaming.

But w/e the purpose:
The HAF X is really overpriced for what it is - unless you really like the look there are much better choices that are either cheaper or better for almost the same price.
You won't need an 850W PSU for that system, even if you plan on SLI - I would go for the slightly cheaper 660 Platinum unit from Seasonic.
No SSD in a system with a cost this high?
If you're only gaming, the 3770k is essentially the same as the much cheaper 3570k.
Old July 7, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unless your doing high res stuff 4GB is more than you need. grab a 770 for ~$400 (419 for the EVGA, the acx cooler is great)

3770k if your going to be doing anything Heavy on multi-threaded tasks, 3570k if not.

Sabertooth is a damn good board but way more than you need for a standard gamin box.. I'd go for the G45 or similar.

Personally I would stick with 850W if you plan to SLI.. gives plenty of head room for lower temps etc. If you don't plan on SLI or are sticking to 1x 1080 monitor then go 560 / 660 w as said above.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM - Newegg.com
Pretty much the same price but slightly faster. Gskill is good ram too.

Case is personal choice really on looks and features but agree with the above that the HAFX is overpriced.. I'd get a NZXT 820 for that price... damn nice case. Also full tower is massive unless your going to put in a custom water loop or at least want extra room for cards to breath in SLI.

And lastly, I do not trust barricudas with my data. And don't trust anything with my important data.
Untill I see otherwise I'll always suggest WD... Blue / Black depending on your needs..
Also as above.. get an SSD.

Still a couple of question... Are you going to overclock? What res do you play at? Whats your current rig? No cooler specified there? What games do you play? Other than gaming do you do anything like video editing or is it just web / music / movies / Games?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; July 7, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:23 PM
Rookie

The haf x is pretty damn ugly too. I personally like silverstone and fractal design cases best. A GTX 770 is cheaper and more powerful than a 680 as well.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not a 4GB one.. and on cases, looks are totally subjective.
I know a few people that love the "industrial" look of the HAF series but as said, it is very expensive for an older design that doesn't quite have he features of some of the newer ones.

Old July 7, 2013, 04:46 PM
Rookie

You could get better case for $200 than the Haf X, plus it's overpriced for an 2-3 years case.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

wow ... 200bucks! for blue lights? and that side panel is still a mess.

fun fun case for modding though.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ To the OP....your build looks solid...get an SSD, even a small one for Boot Drive ;) And stick to the 850W PSU, ...for SLi 680's its the one I'd go for....best to give yourself lots of power headroom ;)

Old July 8, 2013, 12:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just had a PM from him... Not overclocking, single monitor etc. Advised to get a smaller HAF case as he likes the look. Advised to overclock as it's soo easy on ivy and there are plenty of guides. and advised a "stock" (not the superclock) EVGA 770 with ACX cooler.

If he's definitely never going to overclocking, advised him to drop the k chip and z77 board.

To the op.. Are you in US or CA?
Don't know about the US but try price-matching somewhere, you can save quite a bit (basically allows you to shop around for the cheapest parts but buy them all at that price from 1 place).

pcpartpicker.com is handy (but not got everything or every retailer)
Also I believe it's microcenter (??) usually has CPU's at really cheap price but only if you come in..

Old July 8, 2013, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Dzzope....sounds good, as you pointed out Cases are highly "personal", thats why I never criticize on Case choice unless the pster wants "advice" ;)