Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2013, 09:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New Gaming/3D Rendering Build

Hey all!

I am trying to build a system for a buddy of mine who has some requirements that I have no clue about lol

1. What YOUR PC will be used for:
- Gaming; Company of Heroes 2, Total War's, Borderlands 2, BF4
- acrGIS
- 3D Encoding

2. What YOUR budget is:
- 2000 (there is a bit of play here)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
- CANADA (NCIX, Direct, Amazon doesn't matter)

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
- I like Intel & Nvidia, but I have heard that AMD may be better for multicore? I have no clue on non-gaming... lol

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts:
- Stereo with AV out.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads:
- I read a bunch, can't decided between Ivy or Haswell, or if this should be an AMD build...

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
- I OC'd my 920 but that is the extent of my OC ability, he would like to get it to 4ghz but that is not a requirement. So yes?...

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
- ASAP, within 2 weeks.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
- Dual Monitor request, so maybe an eyefinity setup? I would imagine he would be running at 1920x1080.,

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
- Negativo...

The build that I had so far is:

Intel Core i7-4770K, MSI GeForce GTX 680 - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

1) No case yet, I want to do a HAF XB just because, but I was thinking a NZXT 630
2) Still waiting to hear if he needs an OS which would free up $150 (case cost)
3) They have the dual monitors on sale at NCIX for 319.00
4) I am a fan of single card, but should I be looking at SLI for multiple monitors?
5) i7 or i5? This relates to requirements for 3D Rendering / arcGIS (AMD?)

Thanks for the help!

Intel i7 Quad Core 920 @3.8GHz | eVGA X58 x3 SLI | HAF 932 | Corsair 1000w | WD SSD 256gb | WD 3200 1TB | Seagate 2TB | 6x2GB DDR3 Mushkin XP3| MSI GTX 680+EK WB| 24" BENQ E2400HD | 19" Samsung 953BW

Swiftech 655 | Swiftech MCR220 | Apogee GTZ+1366 | EK Spinbay Res | EK Waterblock | Primochill 5/8" | Bitspower Compression Fittings
Old June 28, 2013, 04:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally I would go with IVY if looking for good oc results but Haswell will perform better at the same clock speed the 8350 from AMD is a viable option too.
Nothing wrong with it and at about $130 cheaper it'll do everything he'll want.

That said Haswell kicks ass on certain types of operations.. you gotta figure out what is the best option from the reviews. (money no prob it's definitely an i7)

Big questions really are what res he wants. How much rendering etc he actually does.
If it's bits and pieces then back way off on the ram.. 16 GB is enough for pretty much anyone unless doing some really chunky stuff and drop to an i5 if gaming is a higher priority or an AMD if he want something thats cheaper than the i5 and better all round but not as good as the i5 in single thread and not as good as the i7 in multi-thread

You can't do surround gaming on 2 monitors. 1 for games and 1 for web etc or dual screens for productivity and just use 1 on games.

Get a 770. Just a re-freshed 680.. but why not as they are the same ish price though stock 680's (shit cooler) can be had for $40 less..
Choose A Video Card - PCPartPicker Canada

Get the G45.. the differences between it and the gaming are upgraded ethernet controller and some silly speed ram... Ohh and the colour scheme.
Not worth the $ IMO unless your building pretty rather than functional.

Drop to a smaller case.. he doesn't need a full tower. the phantom 410 or 530 will give the looks, quality, features without being as big or costing as much

Dual HDD's and have it mirrored unless he has some other way to back-up his data.

Gold rated PSU

I would go for air rather than the H60 or go H80.

I would also try a squeeze in a 240 / 256 GB ssd.. 120 fills damn fast.

This is what I would build... switch monitors if it busts the budget or if he doesn't need / want IPS but 1200 is great for productivity.
Intel Core i7-4770K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; June 28, 2013 at 05:02 AM.