Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2013, 09:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Gaming Build for BF4

Hey guys, my good friend needs an upgrade.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

As small as possible.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

We are ASUS fans, but I think it's just marketing getting to me. My gigabyte nforce400 Delux still works....

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

Memory, case, windows, peripherals, monitors.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?

i5 non k, GTX 770, H87 chipset

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

No overclocking. Period!!!!! (he's scured).

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

ASAP (this weekend would be nice).

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

1080p, highest settings please. And yes I mean MSAA. I mean EVERYTHING!!

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

Sata6, USB 3.

So yeah, he has the case/monitor/memory, but needs cpu/mobo/psu/videocard. This is a gaming rig sans any overclocking. BF4 must run @ max settings and preferably with a 60fps minimum. The motherboard and cpu need to last and be relevant to gaming for five years. I need to know:

1: What's the best non overclocking i5 to use? Should I be using haswell, ivy or sandy?
2: (depends on 1) what motherboard and chipset? I can't justify an OC chipset if it's a non-k CPU. Is it maybe worth it to buy a TUF mobo if the expected life of the mobo+cpu is 5 years?
3: Which video card will have enough mojo to run bf4@1080p@27''@maxsettings@min60fps??? I was thinking of the GTX770 (because I LOVE THIS CARD), but i'm not sure it's potent enough for MINIMUM 60fps in all 64 player maps. Remember, this is MINIMUM!!!!!
4: Which PSU (depends on video card)? Remember, no overclocking, haswell sleep state compatibility, and never ever will there be a second video card. I prefer a lot of headroom with PSUs so they don't run hot, and last longer (the fans are always the 1st thing to go rererererererererererererere).

Would an AMD system be able to do the same for bf4 for less money?

My thoughts are an asus H87M-E, i5 4570, hx750, and a gtx770. This is about $800 here in Edmonton memex. I really think it's in his best interest to be very GPU heavy, and to have lots of headroom on the PSU so that, idealy, the fan never even turns on. I would prefer to buy a seasonic powersupply and I am ignorant as to whom makes what. Again I should stress that I prefer to have excess wattage and excess reliability in the PSU. It has to last five years, and do a good job till the end.

his case is a corsair 800d, so a mini board might look funny XD

He got it so he could liquid cool, but he's really lost interest.
Old June 23, 2013, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Since bf4 isn't out yet, I'm going to assume a good overhead with the current BF3 engine. I'd stick to Intel for this build, not AMD.

I'm thinking then a 3570 or 4670 for the cpu then, as you suggested, with an accompanying motherboard in the $150 range .. Z87-A or something of the like for Haswell.

but you're going to have to beef up that card for a 60 min fps at the highest settings with AA. a 780 -bare minimum- for that kind of buttery smoothness with AA, if not probably two of them. This is obviously going to require an 800w+ PSU (HX850? 1000 if you want that headroom.) Again I'm assuming larger graphical requirements in comparison to BF3.
Old June 23, 2013, 11:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
1080p, highest settings please. And yes I mean MSAA. I mean EVERYTHING!!
Dust off your Credit Card ;)

Old June 24, 2013, 12:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Tell your friend to get over his overclocking fears for first point. he's not going to be able to do what your looking for at stock and definitely not for 5 years.. even if it's only the option to oc later, get the k chip and z77 / 87 board. It should also hold it's value much better.

Second is until the game is out and benched there is no way we can tell you what to buy for what your asking.. And asking for MINIMUM 60fps on a 64 player map is going to mean serious graphics horses as said already.

I would get something like 3570k, MSI g45, 550w gold rated PSU if staying single card, 850 if going dual.. a 780 (he wants those minimum fps) and SSD/HDD of your choice

We also need his budget.. you say less is better.. but less than what.. 3k? With your requirements we need a budget to best see where to spend (GPU generally).

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"