Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
As per another thread, I would avoid Samsung SSD's in Canada since they lack warranty.
Really? That sucks...I quite like the 840 Pro's, and would have looked at them for a new build.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 14, 2013, 03:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
As per another thread, I would avoid Samsung SSD's in Canada since they lack warranty.

As for the motherboard specs saying it supports 64GB, yes it does, if you happen to find 16GB DIMM's. Currently I don't think those exist, at least not at a consumer level.
They do, they just cost a fair bit and aren't common. Not that I'm suggesting the OP needs them

I'd also avoid the Seagate to be honest.

At least the Samsung is a quality bit of kit.. the Seagate just has a 2 year warranty and I can't trust them with my data (not that I don't have back-ups of important stuff)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 14, 2013, 05:21 AM
Rookie

What about other brands? I've had no complaints about this OCZ I've currently got in my system. Though it's my first SSD so I don't have anything to really make comparisons to.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I tend to stick to WD for HDD's.. Black if you have the cash and need the performance, blue if you just need a data drive, red / green if your gonna go Nas or need low power etc.. Blue is perfect for most but look at what you will be using them for and check out reviews and see what's strong for you and in your budget.

As for SSD's there is a thread in the storage forum on exactly this. As AKG (the guy who does the storage reviews here and knows them inside out) says, the samsungs are VERY good but if your really worried about warranty then Intel and Crucial are good for warranties I believe.

Personally I'd just have a look at the drives I want to buy and then see if they have an RMA centre in your country and discount the ones that don't.. Not worth the hassle WHEN kit goes wrong unless it's at a price where you can throw it away and replace.

Check out the thread yourself Samsung SSD support in Canada

I think there is actually a second going on too.. think it's the "best 512 gb ssd" thread.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"