Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2013, 11:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Cool Upgrading my rig - help needed

Hi guys, it's my first post here so first of all let me great all the com

Then, coming to my need: due to the release of the new games generation based on DX 11 and their incompatibility with DX 10 video cards I am thinking to upgrade a bit the rig I built in 2009, and which by the way is still working flawlessly.

So, with these premises I was thinking to start from the video card and the HD.

About the GPU I was thinking to go for the ASUS GeForce GTX 660, and well, about the HD I'll just pick 1 or 2 TB.

During my research I stumbled on a thread on this same forum right about the switch I am going to do (GTX 260 --> GTX 660) and there were guys arguing about a possible bottleneck due to the rig of the user...so I was wondering: could you please have a look at my rig and tell me if you think this is a good idea?

Or do you think I should change some other components? Or even hold another couple of years and then change the whole system?
Old June 1, 2013, 02:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

No need to change the whole system,the board is fine,enough ram,the Cpu is not a monster but it's decent,of course,you would get better performance with an I5 ivy bridge CPU but it is not going to bottleneck a 660 that much.You can throw a 660 in there...
Old June 1, 2013, 03:40 PM
MVP

I guess it's hard to ask for a budget and compare since you live in Athens. But yeah, a 260 -> 660 will be huge.
Are you running out of hard-drive space? I'd highly recommend an SSD if not. It would improve your overall experience MUCH more than anything else.
Old June 1, 2013, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Second Youngmans opinion.. GPU will give you a niice boost and an SSD will make your whole system much more snappy, if you can afford it.

If you can, hold off JUST a lil while longer as the next few weeks will see more of the 7xx series released and with the price they released the 770 at you may be able to either save some on 660 performance or bump up to 660ti or perhaps even 670 performance for the same price.

I know people are going to say "there is always something around the corner" but like a guy I advised the same thing with not 2 weeks ago that got a 680 and paid $465 for it where as now he could have a 770 for $400..
I obviously can't guarantee you that prices will drop.. but it may be worth checking how long it take your supplier of choice to get in new parts and if they drop the prices of older ones or charge a premium for the newer ones etc.

At worst you should be able to get a 760 for the same price which should slightly beat a 660 Ti and would be perfect for your res.

Last edited by Dzzope; June 1, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 12:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks everybody for sharing your opinions

@ Young Man: yeah..truth is I am running out of space with the dual-boot I set up 150GB out of 500 went for the Hackintosh and I had "only" 350 reserved for W7...now I do have others 4 external HDs which I mostly use as backups and downloads storage...but I am getting a lil tired of all the usbs exchanging and having to search on everyone my stuff so I was thinking to tide up my date getting a 1 or 2 TB main HD and then organize my backups a lill better on the other externals. Beside here a 256 SSD will cost me exactly as WD 2TB Caviar Black (around 220$ and for 270$ I can get the Velociraptor) ...so it's quite out of budget for now

@ Dzzope: about the prices, since I am Italian and in Italy prices are way cheaper than Greece, I will most definitely buy it there online. At the moment I can get the Asus GTX 660 for around 245$ (in Greece it would be 310$)...things is that because I don't trust that much the shipping and it would raise the cost quite a lot, I'll have my parents to bring it over and this happens just once a year...so you see: I don't really have the choice to wait and see if prices will drop. The Asus GTX 660 Ti though would cost me from Italy about the same price I can find the normal GTX 660 here in Athens (around 310$) ...would you say it is worth it?! What everyday real improvements can I expect out of these +80$ I should throw in the budget?
Old June 2, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

$65 difference.. and there can be reasonable gains especially in minimum frames.

NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB Review

The review says more than I can but your looking at about 12 - 17% improvement (depending in game) for Stock vs stock.
They aren't game changing differences unless your frames are dropping below 45 or worse 30 which will obviously make them feel stutter y.. Your going to have to read up on which card suits you best in price and performance and choose yourself.

It's a bit of a pain being in that position, My last full build was just before sandybridge came out but I had a friend going to the US and I was still running a single-core athlon lol.

Hold off as long as you can before your parents travel as I would be expecting the 760ti to be announced this week or next and the 760 to follow very soon after. If you can't, then you'll have to decide for yourself if you will see significant enough savings between the new lines to justify buying in Greece as the 770 (a re-tuned 680) is much cheaper than a 680 unless places have dropped their prices to match.. Check what they are charging for a 680 and 770, it's a bit risky but may be worth it.. I would be looking at every possible option to get the most for your money.
At $400 for a 770, a 760ti (670) *should* come in around $300 and the 760(660ti) should then fit at $229 (the same prices as the current 6xx cards)

As said, your going to have to do your research and then decide for yourself as to if you'll get maybe the same performance for the same price (750 vs 660) if you wait and buy in Greece or if you'd get more or... you get the point and I'm rambling a bit so I'm gonna stop now..

Hope I havn't confused you with that but my point is research as much as you can on the prices and what performance you want to pay for.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Alright, I'll do my homework and I'll see what fits better in my pockets!!

Thank you all for the tips..I'll keep you posted
Old June 15, 2013, 05:25 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ok thanks everybody for your suggestions.

A quick update.

In the end I went for the Asus GTX 660 ti ( 240 = 320$ ) and the WD Caviar Black 1TB ( 74 = 98$ ) for a total of 326 = 435$ shipped at my parents in Venice. I should receive everything in less than 1 month here in Greece

Can't wait to receive my new toys