Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I vote to OC the CPU a bit more, and once the rest of the GTX 7xx gets released (should be soon as the 780 is already out), sell your 570 and go to a 770/760Ti/whatever looks good once released.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Yeah might just wait and see what comes up. Also thinking i might turn this into my 2nd computer(for the wife) / media server (might be overkill) and just rebuild but will see what happens.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
They do, all the time. It depends on the game your playing. I've had issues before where I swore it was the cards fault. All kinds of artifacts until I switched up the drivers. Either older or newer. That's not to say there isn't a problem with the card, just that corruption in games is more often than not the fault of the GPU driver.
I have ran nvidia for as long as I can recall. Used beta drivers and whql drivers. Never in the 10yrs of gaming have I had a driver corrupt.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:28 PM
Rookie

it honestly happens to me every few months and by then new drivers are out so i just update them. Iv tried beta drivers and stuff but never seemed to help. I have a couple of friends that have the same thing happen and others that its never happen to them.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you've tested all the hardware by doing tests that isolate properly, you can't say it's the GPU. I had a big graphical problem with a new build but I was using my old GPU, so I knew it wasn't the graphics card. Figured out it was the motherboard, but it could have been memory or CPU, etc. I had the luck of having 2 computers, 3 graphics cards, so I could easily test and rule out the GPU being the problem. I wasn't 200% able to rule out the CPU as both motherboards were different sockets, but memory is easy to test, main drive (SSD) is easy to test, etc. Don't point fingers at the GPU/drivers just because it shows up as corrupt images.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think, like most of the people here, that the only thing that you need upgrading is your GPU and nothing else other than an SSD. If you were to upgrade your cards, I say go straight to the GTX 770 or GTX 680 4GB version and nothing else.
Old May 28, 2013, 07:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

oh but I thought Nvidia drivers were bullet proof judging by most peoples throwing down of AMD :P
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,7.html
~240 watts or so for GTX780, 750 watts should be enough for many 2 card setups I know it is for my dual 7870s but is an HX750, not sure with that Antec one you have by all means, is not a bad thing to have a more powerful PSU then needed they tend to be more efficient and last longer(less stress) usually a good practice to have a 40-65% load on any PSU really that's where they tend to get the most out of their design.

8gb of ram is fine for 80% of people I recommend 1600 class ram CL9 or CL8 1.5v at minimum as it is the best balance of price/performance(and on average the same price as the lower speed stuff anyways) to answer the question posed, 660Ti such as MSI PE 660Ti is close enough to almost make the 670 a silly purchase of course overclocking is required. The rest of the 700 series Nvidia cards will be filtering out soon enough, not to mention AMD will be shipping thiers soon enough as well.

2500k vs 3770k unless you like wasting money as others have eluded to its not really worth it, the gain is moot when overclocking is taken into account, and at stock that is a heck of a cost increase for 10-15% increase performance(mostly due to the hyper threading, think the 2500k vs 2600k same concept same boost difference with a touch more) 2500k on average overclocks higher and on average in an overclocked state(4.5Ghz+) the power/temperature curves are more linear in nature and as a result easier to deal with.

Cases wise, I love my Silverstone Raven 3 case, however there is many other cases out there that are great, InWin G7, Cougar Evolution, NZXT H630, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Akasa Venom Toxic, Thermaltake Versa, Cougar Challenger, Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra, Rosewill R5, Raidmax Viper. The Evolution is a highly regarded design and cost as is the G7, but there is options for you :)
Old May 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unless you heard something the rest of us haven't, AMD won't be shipping bugger all till around x-mass (GPU wise)

As everyone else has said, there is very little reason to upgrade your CPU but the GPU *could* do with a bump.. that said it should still be pretty strong if your playing at 1080 / 1200 res.

Last edited by Dzzope; May 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I have ran nvidia for as long as I can recall. Used beta drivers and whql drivers. Never in the 10yrs of gaming have I had a driver corrupt.
Only ever had one time that I "thought" I had corrupt GPU Drivers, was after a ton of OC'ing GPU's, running Benchmarks and CTD's and Black Screen freeze ups, "Driver Stopped Responding Errors" etc....Literally it was hours n hours of this (determined to get my GPU's running faster n faster).....

Once I did a clean install of Driver my "odd" graphical slow downs and glitches that I has started to see went away.

Old May 29, 2013, 08:12 AM
Rookie

Default Don't upgrade

i personally wouldn't upgrade because new cpu's are comming out and you pay for the same price as you would for a i5 3570k. If you wait 2 months you will always have a better rig.