Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2013, 03:43 AM
Rookie

Default Is this specification fine? Help :(

.I'm building a new PC this year and I need you to help me. This is only the second time i'm gonna build a rig.. Any opinion would be deeply appreciated
i7 3770k
GTX 690
kingston hyperX 8gigs 1600mhz
MSI Mpower z77 motherboard
.do you think the cpu will ottleneck the gpu in terms of gaming?
Old May 27, 2013, 04:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

From seeing your previous posts you have a pretty up-to-date machine.
Maybe a GPU bump needed but can you first state your current specifications, Resolution and games you will be playing and finally the budget you have for the build.

From what you have listed there you could consider a z87 build with 4770k and dual 780's without stretching too much... but really you will want to be on 2560x1440 or surround to need that kind of power.

Also with that budget why would you stick to 8GB, get 16..

But then if your just playing games on a single 1080 screen your going way way beyond what you need
Old May 27, 2013, 08:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

A GTX 690 is going overboard with a 1080p monitor, unless you're planning to have a multi-display then you can downgrade it to something around the lines of a GTX 670 and save 500$ then use that 500 and do what Dzzope said and get 16 GB of RAM, especially when next-gen consoles uses 8 GB :P In my personal opinion I do not see much benefits in having an i7 comparing to an i5 I mean the i7 has a larger cache and a slightly higher clock speed, but not worth the extra 50-100$ price tag.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ram prices went up,it's useless to have 16 gb for a gaming rig,games don't even use 2gb,i would get a single 780 instead of a 690,will be so smooth,use less power,etc...
Old May 27, 2013, 08:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
Ram prices went up,it's useless to have 16 gb for a gaming rig,games don't even use 2gb,i would get a single 780 instead of a 690,will be so smooth,use less power,etc...
Ya but like I said now that next gen consoles will have 8 GB of RAM, PC games will need more RAM as well. Even though I'll be honest, they only have access to 5 GB of RAM.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm not sure games will need more RAM,more VRAM,yes but RAM...I think he could buy 8gb and upgrade if needed..
Old May 27, 2013, 09:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

True, but then again he never did say what he's going to do with his system perhaps he's going to do movie editing? (I'm sure we both know how RAM intense it can get haha).

16 GB is just being "future-proof" is all but ya if he's going to upgrade in less then 3-5 years then I agree 8 GB is fine.
Old May 27, 2013, 03:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

No, that processor will not bottleneck any games.

The rig is overkill for gaming. If you fill out the new build questions that are sticky posted we can help you. If not, this is just speculation.

"Originally Posted by draemn
I would like to see either a slight modification or some 'descriptions' added to help guide people posting with this format.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-This question should not only be what you're using, but the performance you want in these tasks. i.e. you want everything to load fast, or apply filters/encoding real fast or you just need it to work, even if it takes a bit longer. Do you want to multi-task and run lots of things at once? What will you usually run at the same time?

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Does this include taxes, shipping, extended warranty coverage, etc. What isn't included in your budget and you have a separate budget for?

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.

I find that I'm constantly asking for more when people use this 'pre-built' Q&A and they aren't putting much thought into each category and understanding why we ask. If someone would be willing to make some update, I would much appreciate this as it would really help everyone."
Old May 27, 2013, 03:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
i would get a single 780 instead of a 690,will be so smooth,use less power,etc...
I would agree to this. You get the titan-grade chip in the 780, and it's beyond awesome.
Old May 30, 2013, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Windows 7 will use it as cache, and when gaming at the moment I'm using 100% of my 6GB (many browser tabs and other stuff open at the same time). 8GB is fine for the vast majority of people, but with his budget, why not?