Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   New build, graphic card and memory management (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/61142-new-build-graphic-card-memory-management.html)

Paulo098765 May 8, 2013 07:31 PM

New build, graphic card and memory management

I choose between a higher ram memory for graphics card or a fast clock speed. I mainly play battlefield3 and eventually 4 and arma3 alpha, i do load decent maps but i want a quick card. I would like to run on ultra. Other problem is how much memory do i need for my pc. Do i go full out on just ssd or do i get a 7200rpm drive and ssd, remember that im on a budget too. I dont want to go over 550 on storage and video card. Plz respnd. Intel Core i5-3570K, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, NZXT H2 Classic Silent (White) - My Custom Build - paulo098765's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

Masteroderus May 9, 2013 12:12 PM

Please post your current system specs so that we can get a better picture of your system. I don't even know if you have a pcie2.0 port, nor sata 6GB ports, and I don't know if you have a decent cpu. Also you power supply could be a limiting factor in you getting some video cards.

My strategy for building budget machines for gaming is to get "good enough" memory, hard drives, and CPU. Then focus on a great power supply and video card.

-8GB of memory is needed to properly pc game now. If you skimp out and go with 4GB you will have to generate a paging file, and that slows everything down by an order of magnitude (or more).
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) at Memory Express $64.99. This is my generic 1600MHz,8GB kit pick. This changes with time (sales are great).

2GB of video memory is enough to run these game, although to be future proof you would want 3-6GB, especially if you want to upgrade your monitor sometime.
My recommendation is a 660ti 3GB edition as it is the best one you can afford, and will do a great job in the majority of games. You can get higher frame rates per dollar with ATI, but the stutter is not good right now, and we don't know when (or if) ATI will fix it.
eVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB PCI-E w/ Backplate, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort at Memory Express $349.99 with a 10 dollar mail in rebate and comes with metro: first light free!. This is also an EVGA product, so it's top of the line for nVidia

You cannot afford to go all SSD for storage as it is about $1 per GB, where a mechanical drive is around $.10 per GB. I would recommend a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD @ 7200 rpm. This drive is very very fast (for a mechanical drive) and it has a frekin' terabyte of space on it.
WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache at Memory Express $89.99.

Total: 504.97 before taxes, and a 10 dollar mail in rebate, and a grade A game to play. Seems like a good deal to me :thumb:

Paulo098765 May 11, 2013 06:31 PM

Intel Core i5-3570K, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, NZXT H2 Classic Silent (White) - My Custom Build - paulo098765's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

Paulo098765 May 29, 2013 08:45 AM

is a sappire 7970 over kill for a 60mhz 30 inch. screen on 1900x1200

Jappetto May 29, 2013 11:10 AM

The link seems to be dead. Can you repost it?

Paulo098765 May 31, 2013 04:33 AM

i don't know how :angry2:

Hail Ceasar June 1, 2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masteroderus (Post 707964)
Please post your current system specs so that we can get a better picture of your system. I don't even know if you have a pcie2.0 port, nor sata 6GB ports, and I don't know if you have a decent cpu. Also you power supply could be a limiting factor in you getting some video cards.

My strategy for building budget machines for gaming is to get "good enough" memory, hard drives, and CPU. Then focus on a great power supply and video card.

-8GB of memory is needed to properly pc game now. If you skimp out and go with 4GB you will have to generate a paging file, and that slows everything down by an order of magnitude (or more).
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) at Memory Express $64.99. This is my generic 1600MHz,8GB kit pick. This changes with time (sales are great).

2GB of video memory is enough to run these game, although to be future proof you would want 3-6GB, especially if you want to upgrade your monitor sometime.
My recommendation is a 660ti 3GB edition as it is the best one you can afford, and will do a great job in the majority of games. You can get higher frame rates per dollar with ATI, but the stutter is not good right now, and we don't know when (or if) ATI will fix it.
eVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB PCI-E w/ Backplate, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort at Memory Express $349.99 with a 10 dollar mail in rebate and comes with metro: first light free!. This is also an EVGA product, so it's top of the line for nVidia

You cannot afford to go all SSD for storage as it is about $1 per GB, where a mechanical drive is around $.10 per GB. I would recommend a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD @ 7200 rpm. This drive is very very fast (for a mechanical drive) and it has a frekin' terabyte of space on it.

Total: 504.97 before taxes, and a 10 dollar mail in rebate, and a grade A game to play. Seems like a good deal to me :thumb:

Agreed! This is the way to go!

enaberif June 1, 2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masteroderus (Post 707964)

I agree with you to some degree but the focus of any system should be the PSU then build around that. By choosing a "ok" or "good" PSU you can put your system in jeopardy. Then focus should be on board, cpu, ram then GPU.

There is absolutely NO reason why at the minimum people aren't running 8gb of ram with prices SOOOOOOOOO cheap.

Dzzope June 1, 2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo098765 (Post 712367)
i don't know how :angry2:

When you save a build, go to your saved parts list. There should be a "perma link" above each list.

If that doesn't work, edit the list and it will give you a different "permalink" at top-left above the list of parts but under the nav-bar for each component type.

Paulo098765 June 22, 2013 10:12 PM

Update, Intel Core i5-3570K, Galaxy GeForce GTX 770, NZXT H2 Classic Silent (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker better then before?