Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Almost Ready to Buy Parts-Give Feedback! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/61049-almost-ready-buy-parts-give-feedback.html)

Harley Walter May 3, 2013 03:35 PM

Almost Ready to Buy Parts-Give Feedback!

:clap:Getting ready to purchase these parts: CASE - CM Storm Trooper. MOTHERBOARD - MSI Z77 MPower PROCESSOR - Intel i5 3570k ivy bridge. POWER SUPPLY - Corsair Enthusiast TX750W. GRAPHICS CARD - Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950. MEMORY - G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Ripjaw X SeriesDDR3 1600MHz. SSD - Samsung 120GB 840 Series 2.5". HARD DRIVE - WD Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm. MONITOR - ASUS VK238H 21".
I have to pick out Keyboard and Mouse along with some other Goodies. Feedback is appreciated.

Dzzope May 3, 2013 04:32 PM

Spend less on the board and more on the SSD and PSU...
unless your going to go dual cards get a ~600w gold rated and you'll be good (even a 550W will take all you have listed there and then OC well)
840 Pro, Neutron GTX would be very good speed.. Also try to stretch to a 256 GB drive, 120 fills VERY fast

There is a CM Storm trooper in the BST section I believe, look for the review units.. you could save some bucks on what is essentially a new case.

No custom cooler listed.. get one even if it's just to keep the chip cooler and fans quieter

Other than that it all looks good (this is all opinion there is nothing "wrong" with your build)

bliz May 3, 2013 04:58 PM

I agree,expensive boards are useless,get yourself a good 100$ mobo unless you overclock the CPU like crazy...If you overclock CPU get something like a Z77X from gigabyte...

Pabz0r545 May 3, 2013 06:23 PM

Nothin wrong with that motherboard. It's a great board with some sweet features. I say don't listen to them unless you are trying to shave the cost on your new system. :thumb:

AkG May 3, 2013 06:53 PM

Stay FAR away from the standard Samsung 840. It uses TLC NAND...which is unproven and fragile. Dont be a guinea pig! Get a Sammy 840 PRO...its an excellent drive....or one of a number of other excellent drives out there (sandisk extreme, Intel 520, Crucial M4, Crucial M500, Corsair Force GS, etc etc etc). You don say where you are...so Sammsung RMA in canada can be a hassle...take that for what its worth too. ;)

The MPower is a good board. IMHO worth the money....but YMMV. Havent had great luck with GB's mobos the past two gens. So if not MSI....go Asus. :)

Soultribunal May 3, 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliz (Post 706997)
I agree,expensive boards are useless,get yourself a good 100$ mobo unless you overclock the CPU like crazy...If you overclock CPU get something like a Z77X from gigabyte...

Sorry I am going to disagree with you. The more expensive boards tend to use higher quality components , and better power delivery. Good for the longevity of the board.
When Companies skimp to make things cheaper, those are the first two considerations shelved.

My opinion on the build is its solid, you could go for a 650 instead of a 750 PSU and spend more on a bigger better SSD. Otherwise you're golden.

-ST

bliz May 3, 2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 707013)
Sorry I am going to disagree with you. The more expensive boards tend to use higher quality components , and better power delivery. Good for the longevity of the board.
When Companies skimp to make things cheaper, those are the first two considerations shelved.

My opinion on the build is its solid, you could go for a 650 instead of a 750 PSU and spend more on a bigger better SSD. Otherwise you're golden.

-ST

Ikr,but the performance improvement is minor with more expensive boards. Higher quality components,for sure but will you keep your board 10 years? Depends on the budget,if you want to pay more for better audio and little gadgets,why not,and as I said, a cheap board is not recommended for OC (power delivery)...

And yeah,get a smaller PSU,no need for so much watts :thumb:

geokilla May 3, 2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 707013)

-ST

I disagree with you haha. While you definitely don't want a $70 motherboard, I feel that a motherboard with a MSRP of over $200 is nothing but a marketing gimmick as well. I spent quite a bit on my Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, buying it as a combo from Microcenter. If I wasn't able to get it as a combo, I would've went with a AsRock Extreme 4 or Extreme 6 motherboard.

The UD5H has so many crazy features, but I have absolutely no use for them at all. In fact, I don't even know what's the point of him or what they do!

bliz May 3, 2013 08:12 PM

i think that 120$ 140$ is a good price range,when i meant cheap motherboard it was like, a Z77-UD3,very good mobo btw..

Dzzope May 3, 2013 08:41 PM

Did I open a can of worms on the board... Like everything it's balancing the features you want with quality...
For me your putting a bit too much budget in the board and not quite enough in the PSU and SSD (Listen to AkG, he really knows his shit)

While the MPower is worth the money, you shouldn't be sacrificing else-where in order to reach it. Balance the quality across the whole build is my point.
There are good solid boards that will oc and provide very near the same performance for less. Bliz has about the price-range nailed.
(also, I agree with AkG on Gigabyte.. had lots and lots of trouble with their motherboards in the past and they didn't deal with it well so I will never buy another, at least till I'm convinced they have changed significantly)