Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2013, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default any suggestions on a AMD apu build

I have built a couple of PCs for my personal use and actually am considering a total new build
I am wondering what would be a good combo AMD APU build for general video watching and gaming I have read a few reviews here on some of the APU which has me very curious on a decent combination of cpu,gpu combinations.
another reason for me considering this is becasue I have a 2500i5 with a 560ti which is great but I am doubting that I need it I also have a AMD1100be on a Sabertooth motherboard which also runs great but both of those builds I am doubting that I actually need for just a part time gamer regular Internet and video watcher.
what types of suggestive builds are out there?
Old May 2, 2013, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I have built a couple of PCs for my personal use and actually am considering a total new build
I am wondering what would be a good combo AMD APU build for general video watching and gaming I have read a few reviews here on some of the APU which has me very curious on a decent combination of cpu,gpu combinations.
another reason for me considering this is becasue I have a 2500i5 with a 560ti which is great but I am doubting that I need it I also have a AMD1100be on a Sabertooth motherboard which also runs great but both of those builds I am doubting that I actually need for just a part time gamer regular Internet and video watcher.
what types of suggestive builds are out there?
Buy mine :P

I found a 660 with a A10 is a awesome combo and powers through the games :)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old May 2, 2013, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What kind of gaming? Full on BF3 frag sessions? Or some racing sims? Or little adventure games like The Cave? If it's any of the former, forget a straight APU build, won't happen. If it's the latter, then yeah, sure, an A10 would do the trick nicely. You would be able to play some previous gen games mighty fine with one of those, such as Oblivion, or Civ IV, etc. Forget about any newer triple A titles, though.

That being said, if you know you won't be playing any intensive games, then an APU is definitely right up your alley. If you do think you'll be playing games, then maybe an i3 and a GTX650Ti is more like what you need.

I have an A6 3670K in my HTPC, and by itself, it could barely run unigine heaven at the lowest settings, 720P. We're talking sub 20FPS here. It kicked ass at media consumption, though. The addition of a 650Ti Boost fixed the framerate problems though, so if you do get an APU, it's not like gaming is impossible on it. But, seriously, if you know you're going to need a dedicated GPU, then you might as well go i3.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old May 2, 2013, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I powered though Crysis 3 And BF3 maxed on a APU and 660 tf OC on 1080P with no issues at all.

Everything is so drawn to GPU now but never played with the onboard GPU on the A10 heard from some people it can be crossfired with the new 7730 coming up but think thats BS but who knows
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old May 2, 2013, 12:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm using the A10 5800K and the AMD recommended HD6670 in 'dual graphics' (aka crossfired) mode and its good. Running Dirt3/Showdown, Shift2 and X-Plane flightsim in high to medium high resolutions and on three screens (4800x900). X-Plane does not benefit from crossfire but runs just fine off of the video card alone. There are a few reviews on line about this "dual graphic" special feature of the APU, if you are going with that chip you'll want to do your homework and check out this feature. Having said that the 6670 ain't the fastest card around and if you are willing to pay more you may well get better performance, but the APU chip is all about value for money - its an economic chip.

If you are going three screens be sure to get the HD6670 with a displayport. (If you don't think you'll run three screens I have an extra 2GB HD6670 that I bought before learning that it needed a displayport for three screen applications through Eyefinity).

Apparently the A10 now comes with Simcity (or so I saw the ad for that somewhere).

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old May 3, 2013, 07:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

you could/should always wait a bit for the refresh product Richland, however if you are already using a given system and are happy with it, then just wait a bit for the "new" parts to come out. AMD will have steamroller/kaveri and Intell will be haswell, both will be a profund jump in performance helping their shortcomings in many respective ways.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ric...AMD,21318.html