Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2013, 02:18 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Default Upgrading CPU help

My computer has been around for over a year now and recently I've upgraded to windows 8 and I've added most of the Stardock.com programs (they are amazing).

i want to upgrade my computer for fun, but i'm working within a $500 dollar budget per year.
i'm new to this sight, but it said you all can see my Computer specs. please check out my specs and tell me what i should upgrade first. personally, i think i may need some better cooling and air flow (GPU climbs when using MSI Kombustor, not alot of air vents in my build), so I've decided to buy a new full tower case.

I've decided to get a Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker. i may need some new fans.

any ideas to what i should upgrade next? and if i were to upgrade anything else, what should it be?

thanx.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For $500 you could easily go an i5 on z77, though the performance difference won't be massive it should run faster while being much cooler (and drawing less power but thats only a few dollars/year)

Might be worth picking up some extra or if you can't match what you have get some new ram. 4GB is not allot in this day, 8gb cl9 1600mhz should be plenty for you and cost about $50 - $70

What exactly is damaged on your SSD?

On $500 / yr I'd wait and every 3 - 5 years have a full re-build and every 2~ re-fresh the GPU.
So say you get a GPU this year, the system should last another 3, drop $1500 on new everything (maybe hold off on the GPU another year or even 2), rinse and repeat.
Basically $2k will buy you a damn fine machine every 5 years with a $500 GPU bump half way between. Though this doesn't cater for new monitors or speakers or other peripherals.
You could always do a full refresh every 6 yr's and have a nice new (currently 27" 2560x1440 IPS panel) screen too.

6 years is pushing the life of the computer but unless there is a revolution in tech then there won't be many huge leaps in performance as they are reaching the limits of what silicon can do
(watch for news on graphite in the next 10 yrs or so would be my bet..)

Last edited by Dzzope; April 30, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old April 30, 2013, 06:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

GPU wise, I wouldn't use kombustor or furmark, they are not realistic load patterns so temps may be higher then you would get otherwise, use DX 11 Heaven as this is more "true" to gaming loads.

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX2 would be a great choice along with say 2500k-2600k-3570k, great motherboard paired with equally great cpu that can be clocked up if needed or wanted.

Ram wise Gskill CL9-1600 9,9,9,24 timing 1.5v ram can be had for $50 or less for Ripjaw kits.

Tags
cooler master , fans , gaming build