Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2013, 05:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default need input on upgrades

Hey peeps. Im looking to upgrade my computer in the next few days. As you can see in my details i haven't built a computer since 2006. And im not really up to date on new tech. I would like to game at 1080p with lots of eye candy. I play racing games and fps. Nfs mw2012, f1 1012, dirt, and will be picking up some new fps games soon. Looking to reuse my power supply, case, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, and projector. I have a budget of $1000 for cpu, motherboard, memory, hhd and gpu. Thanks
Old April 27, 2013, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wait till mid summer for new CPU and GPU if you can.. No point in buying an out-going platform.

But on that budget, z77 board, 3570k, 8gb ram, 680, 256GB ssd and whatever you need for storage.
Old April 28, 2013, 04:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

they have a release date on the new cores yet Dzz? Yes wait OP, older stuff will go on sale to coincide with the new release.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:29 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I hate waiting. But i been waiting 6-7 years already, whats another few months. Hahaha
Old April 28, 2013, 08:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

What power supply do you intend on re-using?
Old April 28, 2013, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Corsair 650tx PSU in the Specs.

Believe they are launching June 3-4. Hard or soft launch I don't know.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why play the "waiting game", there's always new platforms and GPU's "right around the corner", besides on a 1k budget you'll be hard pressed to dive into the "newest gear".

There are lots of great options out there right now!!

You'll always be "waiting" if you're that concerned with latest n greatest ;)

Old April 28, 2013, 12:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

His budget as you mentioned is not set for the greatest and latest is why we suggested he wait as pricing on what he is prepared to spend will start being lowered as the new stock comes out. It is already starting, mail-in and price cuts have been showing up at CC for cpu's and boards, 2011 socket stuff mostly so far. Mainstream stuff should drop now also, so does stock levels keep an eye on what your after OP.

Best time to buy new stuff is when new comes out and drops the norm prices on what your really after...

z77 is the newest mainstream chipset, 1155 socket, gen3 intel cpu's the newest for now, only the k versions overclock, there is i3.i5, and i7 variants, later being the fastest with hyperthreading. The 3370K run's hot compared to older 2600 gen2 cpu, better choice is the i5 k variant so consider a decent air cooler in your parts list.

AMD would consider for your vid card as it seems to have less race games problems compared to NVidia, recommended a 680 to a friend that later had to change it out to play F-2012. He bought a 7970 afterwards. Check compatibility with your games before grabbing your card.

Boards and mem your choice, am partial to g.skill mem believe it is the best IMHO.

SSD I use OCZ, biggest you can get to do OS and games the better, stretch your budget if need be, think that it is important on this, 256 gig min.

Storage any black drive will do, others sacrifice performance compared to power usage ie: 'green drives' to be of any use at least so far...

Last edited by nasrott; April 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
His budget as you mentioned is not set for the greatest and latest is why we suggested he wait as pricing on what he is prepared to spend will start being lowered as the new stock comes out. It is already starting, mail-in and price cuts have been showing up at CC for cpu's and boards, 2011 socket stuff mostly so far. Mainstream stuff should drop now also, so does stock levels keep an eye on what your after OP.

Best time to buy new stuff is when new comes out and drops the norm prices on what your really after...

z77 is the newest mainstream chipset, 1155 socket, gen3 intel cpu's the newest for now, only the k versions overclock, there is i3.i5, and i7 variants, later being the fastest with hyperthreading. The 3370K run's hot compared to older 2600 gen2 cpu, better choice is the i5 k variant so consider a decent air cooler in your parts list.

AMD would consider for your vid card as it seems to have less race games problems compared to NVidia, recommended a 680 to a friend that later had to change it out to play F-2012. He bought a 7970 afterwards. Check compatibility with your games before grabbing your card.

Boards and mem your choice, am partial to g.skill mem believe it is the best IMHO.

SSD I use OCZ, biggest you can get to do OS and games the better, stretch your budget if need be, think that it is important on this, 256 gig min.

Storage any black drive will do, others sacrifice performance compared to power usage ie: 'green drives' to be of any use at least so far...
He doesn't need to "wait", that's the point!! I we always "waited" we would own nothing ;)

Old April 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Lol.im done waiting. Iv been looking around for 3570k and mb combos. I cant find anything for less than $365 can. Than than only leaves me with $635 for a gpu, ssd and ram. Does anyone know of any other deal i should go for? I would like a gtx680 and 16gb ram and atleast a 120gb ssd. Saw the combo at tigerdirect.ca was a gigabite mb i believe. If i can keep it under budget that would be nice