Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2013, 12:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes there is always something newer coming out.. But why wouldn't you wait a month for a new platform that won't get replaced for at least 18 months(and last much longer than that)?

Really is no need for 16GB ram, unless your encoding, rendering etc etc.. 680's WILL drop in price mid may when the 700 series is released (780 is cut down titan, 770 is 680 etc etc),
Watch those with 680's jump on the 780's which will mean lots of second-hand units and retailers trying to dump the "old" stock.

I would suggest at least a 256gb (or even 240) SSD, 120GB runs out of space VERY fast. And if your not experienced with them, read AkG's post on how to get the best out of them (sticky in the storage forum)

If your really looking for new and now then this is about as good as I can spec you..
Intel Core i5-3570K, XFX Radeon HD 7970 - upgrade - dzzope's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker Canada

Notes, 7970 is as fast and over $100 cheaper than a MSi 680 Twinfrozr(cheapest not ref card) (not including a $30 MIR on this card) Not gone GHZ edition as it's just an OC's 7970.. do it yourself.
Not to mention that AMD are getting lots of titles optimized for them and this has free farcry3 and bioshock Infinity bundled with it..
The motherboard is Matx, so no sli-x-fire possibilities though at 1080 res you shouldn't need anything for quite some time in GPU power or gpuram.
Onlt spec'd 8GB ram as it really is enough unless your doing as I said above (or possibly VM's or something else)
I run 6GB and with game running, Browser with MIN 9 tabs (usually much more) Skype, ts, msn, steam, origin, Utorrent as well as some monitoring apps and desktop gadgets I don't run out.
If you do just buy another identical kit and drop it in later.
Nutron GTX makes joint third on AkG's list and it appears to be the cheapest per GB

Hope your os is 64bit.

Last edited by Dzzope; April 29, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ya they dont seem to get the wait part, budget is impossible unless he does. Also didn't think nvidia is releasing anything this year other than the already out titan, same on amd side aside from HD versions of again what is already out.

Jr were not telling him to wait for next gen except to save on previous gen parts he can afford. Is not a chance to make budget today. I'm the most impatient guy there is telling ya this....
Old April 29, 2013, 05:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Case - You already got

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V LK: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
3GB AMD RADEON™ HD7970 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

FREE CRYSIS 3 & FAR CRY 3: BLOOD DRAGON with AMD HD 7900 Series GPUs!

SSD
120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

Power Supply - You got it

Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-D14 / Antec Kuhler H20 620

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

Hope I helped :)

You should be able to pick this kinda rig up for ~$1000
D3 BT - Crispe#2349 (EU) - add me! :)
Old April 29, 2013, 06:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

With a 680 you'd be paying for mem and cooler above your budget, actually not that bad.
Old April 29, 2013, 06:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd personally go for something along the lines that I linked.. although I personally prefer AMD, but lets not get into that.. please. xD
D3 BT - Crispe#2349 (EU) - add me! :)
Old April 29, 2013, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As I posted above it's certainly possible to have the rig your looking for for $1000.. All I'm saying is wait 5 weeks and you should see significant savings...
Especially if your not against second-hand components

Nvidia are due to release 780, 770, 760ti sometime mid may and Intel new chips at the start of June (hard or soft releases I don't yet know)
See the rumor mill for as much info as I know on the above. Basically 780 is a cut down Titan for ~$599ish (probably $699 at release) and the rest are re-badge'd 680's 670's....

As for AMD vs NVIDIA, My preference is generally toward the Nvidia's but when you take performance to cost (and the added value of the bundle and AMD working with more top titles than Nvidia at the moment) then it is very very hard to look past the 7970..
The one I linked is custom cooled dual fan and has an additional £30 MIR you could count and is $100 cheaper than the MSI twin frozr 680 (and has the 2 games) That value is not easily skipped.

Also, get a 240-256GB SSD, 120 fills too fast.. and those intels (though they are probably the best all round) are very expensive per GB.. Have a look at the pcpartpicker link I posted... No custom cooler but from what you have this at stock will be a rocket-ship.. you can add a custom cooler later when you want to - need to OC it
(though it may be a pain if the mobo tray doesn't have a hole the right size if at all)

Last edited by Dzzope; April 29, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
Ya they dont seem to get the wait part, budget is impossible unless he does. Also didn't think nvidia is releasing anything this year other than the already out titan, same on amd side aside from HD versions of again what is already out.

Jr were not telling him to wait for next gen except to save on previous gen parts he can afford. Is not a chance to make budget today. I'm the most impatient guy there is telling ya this....
Your absolutely right "I don't get the "wait" part", its pointless, GPU's such as the 6xx Series are already at low prices in prep for 7xx series, Retailers won't drop em anymore!
As for CPU and Platform drops.....uh you really think these are going to go down significantly with the release of Haswell.....nope.

As for "used" gear most folks have been selling for the last month jin prep of new, they generally don't wait until the release.

After several yrs of building, IMO "waiting" doesn't result in a better gaming experience that's easier in your wallet. ;)

Also, for SSD go for either a Vertex or Intel, for starters an 80-120GB is more than enough for a Boot Drive, just be sure to load games elsewhere (it's taken about 3 yrs to fill an Intel 80GB Boot Drive), you'll definitely want either a WD Black Drive or better yet a 240GB SSD for games).

I just put together a killer rig for my daughter n her hubby for $1,100, albeit only geared up for 1080P!

Enjoy, it's all good ;)

Last edited by rjbarker; April 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Kinda curious RJ. What did you get for $1100? 1080p is my goal....
Old April 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Probably what he listed above.. If you haven't, check the pcpartpicker link I posted, basically the same build but with a much cheaper per GB 256GB Nutron GTX,
which comes (joint)third for AkG(the guy who does storage reviews and has helped me in some high end server stuffs recently, thanks again mate) in current SSD's Which the vertex isn't even listed in(though that may have been an oversight)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Top 3...thats kinda difficult. Intel 520, Samsung 840 Pro...and toss up between Neutron GTX, Vector and bunch of others. :)
As I said, it's not that the neutron is the "best", but it seems to be best for price-performance of the high end drives

On the size of the drive, yes 80gb is plenty for a boot drive... But really what the hell is the point if windows starts really fast but games are still the same... Go 256GB, you won't regret it
(like me with 120gig, fills tooo fast, I bought 6 months too early, waiting really does pay sometimes as they had halved in price 6 months later, not that I'm suggesting Ivy cpu's or 6xx cards will half in price or anything near it)

Ohh and RJ, simply by name they will have to drop the 680 and 670's prices, the 760ti will be a re-badged 670 and with where the 780 is supposed to sit price wise they are going to have to reduce the 6xx's down farther otherwise why would anyone buy them (bar the 780)
Not to mention the 680's are over $100 more expensive than a 7970 and ~ the same performance
If they don't drop the price every single high end (7970/680 level) single gpu I will suggest will be the 7970. There is now way the 680 is worth ~30% more.

Last edited by Dzzope; April 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old April 30, 2013, 05:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

for a g-note , a 680 , ssd , cpu, board, mem he is not going to make it, your probably right rj, it is not going to save him that much all in all. Either way he going to blow the budget he set unless he changes his hardware.