Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Default Bitfenix Prodigy Living Room Gaming Build Help

Hello everyone. It's been about 5 years since my last build and I'm looking to build a gaming rig next month for use in my living room on my HDTV. I've been researching online and have a list of parts that I currently have picked out. I am just looking for opinions on the parts I've picked out or if you have suggestions or alternatives that would be great too.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
Mostly just gaming on my HDTV. Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, and Simcity are the games I's currently playing. I'd like to run the games on the highest settings I can of course.

2. What YOUR budget is.
Approximately $1300 before taxes and shipping

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
Nope

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
My HDTV as the monitor, keyboard, mouse, wired xbox controller

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I have read a couple threads and done some research, have a list of parts I'm considering. Just want opinions on the parts I'm considering and any suggestions you may have.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I have no plans to overclock and likely never will.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Haven't bought any parts yet. I plan on building it next month.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
Since this is for use with an HDTV, the resolution will be 1920x1080. I'd prefer to play on High-Max settings.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
USB 3.0, SSD, SATA3 6.0Gb/s

Here are the parts I'm looking at getting:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
Front Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Green LED 200mm Fan
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze
Storage: Intel 120GB 520 Series Cherryville SSD & Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB

Thanks in advance for any hep anyone can give me. :)
Old April 12, 2013, 11:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Haha it's already perfect,nothing to say about that build,maybe a 80+ gold PSU?Just for premiumness?

Or take a radeon 7970 ghz instead,it's less expensive and just as good.
Old April 12, 2013, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea. I think the 600 watt PSU is fine. The only thing i was thinking about is there is no room for expansion. Maybe alittle bigger PSU.. that is the only thing i would change
Old April 12, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your choices are fine and you would have no issues with it. My thoughts for your consideration:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy - Good to go
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor if your on an H77 board and have no intentions of overclocking I would save a few bucks and get a 3470. If you will OC go to a Z77 motherboard and a 3570k (not sure if there are any with built in WIFI...may have to get an add on card)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 I am not familiar with what will fit in that case. I would just use the stock heatsink if not OCing. I wouldn't bother with a TX3 personally (not that great).
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX see CPU comments above...otherwise good to go
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory good to go
PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze this is fine, but I would go to a higher quality model. Corsair TX/AX/HX, XFX, Antec, Seasonic. I would also opt for a 650w, but 600 is more than enough
Storage: Intel 120GB 520 Series Cherryville SSD & Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB good to go
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB for 1080p I wouldn't bother with more than a gtx 670...but obviously there is nothing wrong with a gtx680
Old April 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Your choices are fine and you would have no issues with it. My thoughts for your consideration:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor if your on an H77 board and have no intentions of overclocking I would save a few bucks and get a 3470. If you will OC go to a Z77 motherboard and a 3570k (not sure if there are any with built in WIFI...may have to get an add on card)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 I am not familiar with what will fit in that case. I would just use the stock heatsink if not OCing. I wouldn't bother with a TX3 personally (not that great).
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX see CPU comments above...otherwise good to go
PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze this is fine, but I would go to a higher quality model. Corsair TX/AX/HX, XFX, Antec, Seasonic. I would also opt for a 650w, but 600 is more than enough
Storage: Intel 120GB 520 Series Cherryville SSD & Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB good to go
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB for 1080p I wouldn't bother with more than a gtx 670...but obviously there is nothing wrong with a gtx680

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor [B]if your on an H77 board and have no intentions of overclocking I would save a few bucks and get a 3470. If you will OC go to a Z77 motherboard and a 3570k (not sure if there are any with built in WIFI...may have to get an add on card

MSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSI Z77IA-E53 mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 SATA3 HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard

annnnnd for cooler get the
Noctua NH-L12 LGA1155/1366/2011 AM3 FM1 FM2 Low Profile Heatsink Cooler w/ NF-F12 120mm NF-B9 92MM

and last but not least get a
660 or a 7870 way more than enough power for 1080p TVs
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old April 12, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seasonic X up to 850 will fit in the 160 mm Hole. Yah the 850 X is a little cramped but she works nice.
Old April 12, 2013, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post

Thanks for your suggestions.
Based on what you said I'm thinking I'll drop the CPU cooler and just use the stock one from intel as well as up the Corsair power supply to the TX650W model.
Old April 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The power supply bay is cramped make sure it will fit.
Old April 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
The power supply bay is cramped make sure it will fit.
Yea, I've heard it's pretty cramped but I have seen other people's builds with the Prodigy using the TX650M power supply and they managed it without modding the case in anyway so I'm pretty confident I shouldn't have any real issues with it.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Just my two cents, I've had a horrible experience with a TX power supply. It started randomly shutting down the computer after 2 days of use. Swapped it for a AX and that has been working perfectly ever since. Again, just my two cents.