Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
Rookie

I was having finals recently so I didn't log on here. Thanks everyone for your output. Anyone know of any good sales right now or coming up that I can take advantage of?
Old April 18, 2013, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was checking out some prices for my friend, because he's pretty much ready to purchase and build. Overall, computer prices increased by like $200. WTF?
Old April 18, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I was checking out some prices for my friend, because he's pretty much ready to purchase and build. Overall, computer prices increased by like $200. WTF?
Yeah if desktop sales were going down, this is surely going to put a nail in it. All components are going up in cost except hard drives and GPU.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old April 19, 2013, 08:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Not sure on your time frame for your build but new intel cpu's are out soon, maybe consider picking up a real cpu in the used section, maybe even a barebones system (board, cpu, mem) once allot of us upgrade to the newest platform. Get a little discouraged when I see i3 mentioned for a build. Just my opinion.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:49 PM
Rookie

ok, let's say i want to do some machinima for wow on high frame rate and settings, what changes would i need to implement to the already made builds? would the price increase a lot?
Old May 3, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm thinking of changing the strategy for OP. Instead of buying everything all at once, we're gonna buy things when we see them on sale. That way, we can hopefully save approximately $100. Are you guys for or against AMD CPUs, especially with the recent price drops? Note there will be little to no overclocking, because he's not familiar with overclocking, and it's better to leave it stock for him in the long run.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AMD do ok cpu's, especially for the lower price points, HTPC's etc.. And, depending on the game, you would need to either be a computer or see them side by side to notice any difference (TOTALLY depends on what he's doing, Intel smoke AMD in many things, others are much closer)
Personally I would stick to z77 and drop to an i3 if you need to save.. he can get a good bump in speed in a few years with a cheap second hand chip that will drop in for an upgrade.

Also as far as I'm aware there is still no TRIM support on the AMD's.. This is a huge selling point too. (needs confirmation)
(P.S. I only owned AMD cpu's up untill my current i7, so no fanboydom here)

On buying bits and pieces, I would say it's not worth it as you have some bits sitting on a shelf doing nothing and de-valuing and running down the warranty.
If he isn't in a rush, wait for a larger sale and buy the lot (usually a big one in July over there?) Or build up the budget to allow for it.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Turns out he has an external DVD burner and a 2.5" 1TB HDD he's gonna try to reuse from his ASUS GXX laptop that died. And I picked up a Corsair HX620 for him the other day. Takes up about $65 of his $800 budget. He's also agreed to push the budget a bit if required.

Right now, I priced out RAM, GPU, case, and SSD from NCIX and the total is only $414. Looks like we can do an Intel build after all.

Last edited by geokilla; May 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm assuming this person doesn't know enough about computers to build his/her own? You could employ a regular like soulessone or 3.0 Charlie or a few other trustworthy members to build the PC for you and ship it. It's always a little cheaper to buy the parts separately and piece it together. Maybe 40-50 dollars to ship a computer any where across Canada.

Velocity X_GT1140I Xpress Gaming System (No OS) w/ Core i5-3570K, 8GB, 1TB, DVD+/-RW, Radeon HD 7770 at Memory Express 5 dollars shipping under 100 pounds which this will easily be under a 100.

Get an i5 instead more life out of the cpu imo.

Memx has a custom builder there if you want too. This is what I came up with using that. Under 800 bux but you still need a Monitor (not too pricey) and an OS (you can use the key off your laptop) I forgot a rom drive but they are cheap.

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Case, WhiteStock: 2
x1
$129.99

AMD FX-6300 Processor 3.5GHz w/ 14MB CacheStock: 10+
x1
$124.99

Asus M5A97 R2.0 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Stock: 10+
x1
$99.99

G.SKILL RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-17000 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB)Stock: 10+
x1
$69.99

Corsair Neutron Series SATA III Solid State Drive, 128GBStock: 10+
x1
$119.99

eVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMIStock: 1
x1
$149.99

Corsair Builder Series CX600 600W Power SupplyStock: 10+
$69.99

Sub Total:$764.93
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; May 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM.