Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2013, 12:16 PM
Trial Member

Smile Hi, I need some opinion on this please.

Greetings everyone, I'm from Malaysia and I lack knowledge of PC building.

My last PC broke down(lasted for 6years) and in need of a new replacement. Was shopping around digital malls and was introduced a build as followed:

CPU : IvyBridge i7-3770 3.4GHz
MoBo : ASUS P8Z77-V (SLI capable)
RAM : Kingston 1866 C9 Twin (2x4GB)
GPU : ASUS GTX 660ti
SSD : Corsair Force GS 128GB (for OS/Prog)
HDD : WesternDigital Green 1TB (for storage)
PSU : CoolerMaster Silent Pro 750w
CHA : CoolerMaster Silentio 550
MON : Samsung S24B350H 24" 2ms LED

I use my computer mostly for games like Dota2, Starcraft2 and FPS shooter like COD.
I like to play games on ultra visual quality and enjoy it very much.
Besides, I normally have browser based FX/Stock trading running behind while I play game and will alttab out to check every now and then while gaming. I've lost some money before because I cant alttab out of my game in time after the stock alert goes off to close my FX/stock open ticket.

My budget is about RM 5000 (~1673 CAD) and the salesperson is offering me RM 5250 (~1760 CAD).

I will be buying my PC locally in Malaysia.

I dont have a specific brand that I prefer but from what I see on different forums and opinions from most of the PC salesperson, it seems like Intel > AMD, nVidia > Radeon.
As for different manufacturer such as gigabyte asus etc etc, I have no clue.

I very much prefer my PC to:
1) Have quality
2) be quiet
3) upgradable
4) able to last for another 5~7years through slow upgrade on extra GPU/RAM etc
5) and wont overheat easily

I will not be overclocking it because I know nothing in that field plus my cats will tear it apart if i leave my case open.

If I miss out any question, please kindly let me know.

In the future as I save up more I might go dual- or tri-monitor, upgrading RAMs and inserting more GPU. Do I need to get a bigger PSU or 750w will work just fine? please fill me in.

Last but not least, thank you for your time and your opinions/comments are very much appreciated.
I'm able to push my budget to RM6000 (~2000 CAD) if I save up for another month.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:55 PM
Allstar

It looks good but I would go right to 16GB of RAM now since you be multi-tasking. With a lot of browser tabs open, it will need a bit of RAM. Be warned, Win7 Home Premium doesn't support more than 16GB of RAM. Then again, I don't see 32GB do you any good. No computer will last 5 to 7 years especially if you try to keep up with the newest games. I personally wouldn't bother with SLI because to really take advantage of it, Nvidia need to publish a SLI profile for whatever games you're playing. If money is an issue, why not move down to a single GPU and mATX platform?
Old April 10, 2013, 02:45 AM
Rookie

I don't see any evidence of a large amount of multi tasking in your write up. I believe 8 GBs is plenty, that is what I have and I game in 3D without issue. I know games rely on the memory form the vid card, but, while gaming, I almost always have Outlook open and doing a send/receive every 5 minutes, my web browser open, whick is what I assume your stock alert is working through, and another program is usually sitting there, as well as Aida 64, the programs for my logitech G15s, mouse etc. I think you have a great rig there. Updating graphics is relatively easy, so you can either SLI the 660ti or go to a new series easily. 750w should be more than enough.
Get er built and enjoy!
i7 3770K, 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2X4GB Patriot Viper Black Mamba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs RAID 0,2 Barracuda 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Windows 7 X64 Pro, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
Cooling: TC PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, EK Supremacy, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X
Old April 11, 2013, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Monitor: If you need to keep tabs on your day trading, why don't you go multiple monitors? That way you won't have to care about alt+tab.
HDD: I recommend a WD Black over a Green even with an SSD because the Greens have very aggressive power saving features that reduce performance and can cause "stuttering" when they have to spin up again. You can go with a Seagate Barracuda as well if they're easy to replace where you live.
PSU: I'm not sure how PSUs are where you live, but over here there's better choices than CoolerMaster: Seasonic, Corsair, and Antec are examples. You're also buying more wattage than you need - I have a 2500k overclocked and a 660 Ti running off a Seasonic X-550.
Look for a review on that checks things on an oscilloscope like ripple and voltage regulation. A good review looks something like this: Seasonic X-650 650W Review

As mentioned if you're playing CPU-heavy games like Starcraft II, you'll likely have to replace your CPU/motherboard/RAM in 5 years as well as the GPU. Since you plan to keep your computer for a while, it's not too bad an idea to go 16GiB RAM today and not have to worry about that upgrade later. Overclocking can buy you some "time", like the way an overclocked i7-920 from early 2009 can still game today.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would agree with frontier204. I would go with a better PSU. I don't think you can go wrong with Corsair or Seasonic. PSU is something you don't wanna try and save some bucks on. As for case if you're looking at
cases around 100 dollars, I would look at some of the Corsair cases. I have a bunch (300R, 650D and 900D)of them and they are great to work with. Good luck with the build.
Old April 27, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My 2 cents, drop down to a 3570k, Bump the GPU and if you can the monitor to 2560x1440 if you can too. I have an old(er) i7 950 and I tab out of games and have 7 - 20 tabs open in browser, ts, skype, msn, steam, origin, desktop gadgets and music playing (sometimes even video or multiple streams on my second screen) and performance is not an issue so a 3570k should be plenty for you.

1866 ram is a bit pointless, get cl9 1600mhz and your good. 8 GB should be fine.. if you find your using OVER 80% you can drop in another identical kit after. With the above running I don't usually run out of ram and I only have 6GB.

The newer coolermaster PSU's from what I hear are pretty good but still not a touch on the Seasonic units, xfx are mostly seasonic built and usually the cheapest of the re-brands.
750 watt is about the lower limit for dual cards of your spec and slightly higher. I would suggest getting the single largest card you can.

Quiet case, Fractal Design Define XL R2 Review - YouTube would be my pick or it's little brother.

Grab an after-market CPU cooler... doesn't have to be expensive but will be drastically better than the stock cooler...
The hyper 212 is pretty good but you may want to change the fans on it as I found them loud.

If you can wait till mid summer, that would be when I'd buy as the Ivy chips are being replaced by haswell by then and also there are new (or re-badged) GPU's from nvidia,
which should see drastic price-drops of the upper 600 series.

Is your old monitor still working? If so just connect it up too :)
Old April 28, 2013, 06:57 AM
MVP

A power efficient and slow HDD is good for storage & media because it reduces power consumption and makes your PC quite.

SSD should be where you install your games to have the best possible experience. Choosing a 256GB SSD costs a lot but the Green HDD or the new Seagate Desktop series will help a little to save.

I recommend the XFX BEFX 750 if it's $120 or below when you want to SLI and overclock the cards. It's a Seasonic OEM of the new KM3 model and usually cheaper.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Fractal case are nice too +1.

HWC got one on sale you might wanna check out,

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...level-10m.html
Old April 29, 2013, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Unless your doing some heavy ass rendering or excel formulas or the nature 8gb is plenty for most peoples needs. The amount of crap I have running on my system with 8gb of ram is nuts and never do I run out.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRnRcR View Post
Fractal case are nice too +1.

HWC got one on sale you might wanna check out,

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...level-10m.html
I believe the poster is from Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unless your doing some heavy ass rendering or excel formulas or the nature 8gb is plenty for most peoples needs. The amount of crap I have running on my system with 8gb of ram is nuts and never do I run out.
Also, + this for the 3770k as I said above.

Last edited by Dzzope; April 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM.