Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2013, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Default New Shopping List to replace 7 year old PC

list here for item description only

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

dual GPU is overkill, cant remove the second one.

any comments would be appreciated, thanks.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:26 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

- The case is (IMO) too expensive for what it is. Grab a Corsair Carbide, CM Storm, Fractal Define series or something along those lines instead.

- The memory is quite expensive as well. A $115 16GB (Kingston HyperX, Etc.) kit should be more than enough.

- Remove the second GPU or better yet, buy a TITAN.

- Add a 30GB SSD boot drive for use with Intel's RST caching

- Grab the H80 or H80i. More than enough for a 3770K
Old March 27, 2013, 06:00 PM
Rookie

the fractal define R4 does look very solid. i was looking at p280 because of more clearance for more installation options.

probably gonna get the case down first then start picking up individual parts one by one depending on the deals etc.

Im not very familiar with RAMs nowadays. started with mushkin because the old ones work great for the old rig's overclocking.
Old April 11, 2013, 12:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have the P280 case and its plenty spacious, even allows for my E ATX EVGA Z77 FTW mobo w/o any clearance problems

24/7 WCG Cruncher: i5 2400 @3.4ghz, Gigabyte HD 7770 1GB (GPU Cruncher), AsRock Z68M/USB3 Mobo, 8GB HyperX DDR 3, 120GB HyperX Blue SSD | 1TB storage, Thermaltake TR2 500w PSU, Thermaltake Soprano Snow Edition case

Laptop: Asus G74Sx | i7 2630QM, GTX 560M 3GB, 12 GB DDR 3 1333, 750GB Sata II HDD
Old April 12, 2013, 08:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Why did you choose 16GB of slow ram for? What are u going to use the PC for?
Old April 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
Trial Member

I agree with SKYMTL, go with a single card vs the double!
Old April 13, 2013, 08:13 PM
Rookie

just an update to follow up on this thread.

and thanks for the advice.

the ram price were crazy so far, but i ended up with g.skill sniper 1866 cas9 32gb

this rig is for work / htpc / gaming on 46 inch tv and going for quiet setup.

I went with just the single card asus 4g

i got mixed feeling about define r4 white version, not sure of the other color. you need to be careful with the white paint and the paint drops off powder when i setup my gears. other than that it looks good in the room. fractal design sent replacement for better bottom filter and fan controllers for free. nice company

h100i certainly is not quiet using what comes in the package. if you can bear with low electric noise you should be fine since it gives you room to do maintenance in the case. but i miss the more natural air cooling sound. i might end up replacing it with d14, it will be a tight fit.
I'm currently in rma process with corsair, seems too much trouble than it's worth.

i consider myself lucky though, only h100i is giving me headache. and no buzzing coil whine from other parts.

Last edited by SilentRig; April 13, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old April 14, 2013, 01:18 AM
MVP

I have to agree with Sky but since I have more free time I'll give you a full tour.

GTX 680 2GB = 4GB on a 1080P display. You're not paying for performance. Even a higher spec card or dual cards will be overkill because a GTX 680 on a 1080 P screen will give you more frames per second than the human eye can see in almost all games.

What kind of work do you do? Since you're not using a pro monitor, then it can't be graphics design and probably just plain old office/email work. Right? i5 = i7 & 32GB = 8GB. Save your money because you're not paying for performance.

If you don't need 2TB, use the money you can save and get a $600 960GB Crucial M5 SSD. Biggest, quietest and fastest storage you will find. No mechanical parts menas no sound at all. If you need more space, get the 5000 RPM range HDD for storage. They barely make a sound and it's unlikely your games/programs will fill your SSD to begin with. When your accessing media files such as music and movies, your storage device's speed is irrelevant, but noise and power consumption is.

Where is the sound of your HTPC coming from? Your TV speakers? or speakers with a dedicated amplifier? If you have a proper HT setup then honor it with a worthy source. Get a sound card because motherboard audio coming out of speakers in a living room is . Asus Xonar DX 7.1 is good.

My preference is 1 drive bay so I'd get a BD-RW instead of two separate drives. This is an opinion.

Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 for mid-tower case is a good option because it will fit everything with more space for upgrades without being intrusive as most full towers are in the living room. You can upgrade the case fans to the new 140mm Noctua A14 ULN.
Old April 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
Rookie

I connect to my HT using gtx680 hdmi connection.

32gb ram and 2tb mechanical drive are for oracle virtual box test environment for analysis of different field configurations.

the vid card might be overkill, but what's done is done.

always thankful for the input though as more suggestions are always helpful for myself and whoever is looking to build a new pc.