Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Default First build Silverstone FT03 case

hello all. first time build. I'm gonna be doing video editing, gaming in the near
future, and multi tasking with a secondary monitor.When i am gaming or editing, i want
to be able to have other functions running on the side. such as Skype and internet browsing.
I don't want background actions to slow me down such as video rendering.

Budget: I'm going to list the parts below that i picked out so far. The total so far is at $1100.
I still need to choose a power supply and an SSD to store the OS. As well as a regular hard drive
for the bulk of storage. I only chose to run with one video card for the time being. But i want to
be able to upgrade to dual when i need it later in the future.I don't want to exceed $1500
for the initial build.

Parts list: Buying all parts from Newegg.com

Motherboard is the Asus Maximus V Gene. I chose this in hopes of not having to upgrade this
part of the build for a long wile.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core

Video card:EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit
GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card:
Again not sure. I chose this because I want a less flashy looking card.

RAM:Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB)
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800):
I have heard great things about Mushkin,they are located here in Denver CO. So I would like to run
with this brand. I am open to other brands if it comes to that.

Power supply: all i know is that it needs to be modular and fit into my case.
when and if i upgrade to dual SLI, I want the power supply to be capable of provide the power.

Storage: I want an SSD just to store the Windows 7 OS. As for the main storage on a regular
HDD, I could use a suggestion for level of capacity.

Monitor: I already have a SEIKI 39" LED 1080p TV with an HDMI port. this will be my main monitor. In the future i want to add a much smaller monitor for the multi tasking side of things. Can this be done with just one video card?

Overclocking: I'll jump into this when I'm ready to upgrade parts for cooling. I don't think I need to do this now.

I want to build this PC ASAP. I have looked at threads like this and read the sticky post regarding asking for help with new builds. I hope I gave all the information needed. I would be grateful for help with this
build.

Last edited by HappyTangent; March 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nope, it just seems that people are a little slow responding lately. Based on your use cases of video editing, I would consider dropping the motherboard down to a slightly cheaper model, and see if you can squeeze a 3770k into the budget. Alternatively, the 8 core AMD chips are also quite good for video editing, though less so for gaming.

Also, I would consider seeing if you can get 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB is lots for gaming, but might be a bit restrictive for HD video editing.
HTPC: Pentium G3420, MSI H81i, 4GB G-Skill DDR3 1333, PNY Quadro 4000, 400GB Recertified Seagate, 1TB WD Caviar Green, 750GB WD Caviar Blue 2.5", Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, Windows 7 x64, 32" Seiki LCD TV, Panasonic SA-HE75 5.1 Reciever
9x Gamer: eMachines eOne - 433 Mhz Celeron, 64 MB RAM, 8MB ATI Rage XL, 6GB HDD, Windows 98se
9x Gamer #2: 500 Mhz Pentium III, 512MB Ram, nVidia Geforce 5600, 20GB HDD, Windows ME
Old March 21, 2013, 10:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHN91 View Post
Nope, it just seems that people are a little slow responding lately. Based on your use cases of video editing, I would consider dropping the motherboard down to a slightly cheaper model, and see if you can squeeze a 3770k into the budget. Alternatively, the 8 core AMD chips are also quite good for video editing, though less so for gaming.

Also, I would consider seeing if you can get 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB is lots for gaming, but might be a bit restrictive for HD video editing.
I took your suggestion and upgraded the CPU choice above. As for the AMD route, I could not find any good offerings for mATX motherboards that run AMD CPUs. Video editing is not something i need to do, but wanted to experiment with. I did state $1500 as a budget but I don't have to limit my self to that.

If you think I need 16 GB of RAM now, I can do so instead of later.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Something went wrong with my original post here it is again.

hello all. first time build.i'm gonna be doing video editing, gaming in the near
future, and multi tasking with a seconday monitor.When i am gaming or editing, i want
to be able to have other functions running on the side. such as skype and internet browsing.
I dont want backround actions to slow me down such as video rendering.

Budget: I'm going to list the parts below that i picked out so far. The total so far is at $1100.
I still need to choose a power supply and an SSD to store the OS. As well as a regular hard drive
for the bulk of storage. I only chose to run with one video card for the time being. But i want to
be able to upgrade to dual when i need it later in the future.I don't want to exceed $1500
for the initial build.

Parts list: Buying all parts from Newegg.com

Motherboard is the Asus Maximus V Gene. I chose this in hopes of not having to upgrade this
part of the build for a long wile.

CPU:Intel I7 3770 Ivy bridge 3.4 GHz (3.9 HGz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad core

Video card:EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit
GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card:
Again not sure. i chose this because I perfer a less flashy looking card.

RAM:Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB)
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800):
I have heard great things about Mushkin,they are located here in Denver CO. So I would like to run
with this brand.I am open to other brands if it comes to that.

Power supply: all i know is that it needs to be modular and fit into my case.
when and if i upgrade to dual SLI,i want the power supply to be capable provide the power.

Storage:I want an SSD just to store the Windows 7 OS. As for the main storage on a regular
HDD, I could use a suggestion for level of capacity.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:33 PM
Rookie

What PSU wattage would you guys recommend for this? Keep in mind i want enough room to power a
second video card later on.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

750 or 850 watt if you're going to SLI later on.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Get the corsair, antec, seasonic, or xfx 750-850w power supply of your choice if you want to SLI down the road. Your parts selections are fine, but I would opt for the 3770k and an aftermarket cooler to overclock. If you are going to be leaving everything at stock clocks, then the 3770 is fine, but I would save a few $ on a cheaper motherboard.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Good to know. Thanks very much for your help guys! I'm glad I can move on with the build now.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have 2 builds one a miniFt03 Im looking to rebuild if it doesn't sell (waiting for a better card to fit in) the other is a FT03 matx I did last week using a gene v, 3570k,8 gig corsair 1600, 860 corsair ps, optimized a mini pcie ssd and a 2 gig main drive. Its a little tight running this case with 2 titans but I capped by temps at 80c and it does fine, oh yes I run an H80 with 2 Noctua fans at the top vent spot and maxxed temps are high 40s-low 50s all running a mild oc at 4.4 and stable....

Last edited by powerbench; April 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM.