Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   First build Silverstone FT03 case (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/60280-first-build-silverstone-ft03-case.html)

HappyTangent March 19, 2013 11:58 AM

First build Silverstone FT03 case

hello all. first time build. I'm gonna be doing video editing, gaming in the near
future, and multi tasking with a secondary monitor.When i am gaming or editing, i want
to be able to have other functions running on the side. such as Skype and internet browsing.
I don't want background actions to slow me down such as video rendering.

Budget: I'm going to list the parts below that i picked out so far. The total so far is at $1100.
I still need to choose a power supply and an SSD to store the OS. As well as a regular hard drive
for the bulk of storage. I only chose to run with one video card for the time being. But i want to
be able to upgrade to dual when i need it later in the future.I don't want to exceed $1500
for the initial build.

Parts list: Buying all parts from Newegg.com

Motherboard is the Asus Maximus V Gene. I chose this in hopes of not having to upgrade this
part of the build for a long wile.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core

Video card:EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit
GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card:
Again not sure. I chose this because I want a less flashy looking card.

RAM:Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB)
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800):
I have heard great things about Mushkin,they are located here in Denver CO. So I would like to run
with this brand. I am open to other brands if it comes to that.

Power supply: all i know is that it needs to be modular and fit into my case.
when and if i upgrade to dual SLI, I want the power supply to be capable of provide the power.

Storage: I want an SSD just to store the Windows 7 OS. As for the main storage on a regular
HDD, I could use a suggestion for level of capacity.

Monitor: I already have a SEIKI 39" LED 1080p TV with an HDMI port. this will be my main monitor. In the future i want to add a much smaller monitor for the multi tasking side of things. Can this be done with just one video card?

Overclocking: I'll jump into this when I'm ready to upgrade parts for cooling. I don't think I need to do this now.

I want to build this PC ASAP. I have looked at threads like this and read the sticky post regarding asking for help with new builds. I hope I gave all the information needed. I would be grateful for help with this
build.

LHN91 March 21, 2013 08:53 AM

Nope, it just seems that people are a little slow responding lately. Based on your use cases of video editing, I would consider dropping the motherboard down to a slightly cheaper model, and see if you can squeeze a 3770k into the budget. Alternatively, the 8 core AMD chips are also quite good for video editing, though less so for gaming.

Also, I would consider seeing if you can get 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB is lots for gaming, but might be a bit restrictive for HD video editing.

HappyTangent March 21, 2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LHN91 (Post 697888)
Nope, it just seems that people are a little slow responding lately. Based on your use cases of video editing, I would consider dropping the motherboard down to a slightly cheaper model, and see if you can squeeze a 3770k into the budget. Alternatively, the 8 core AMD chips are also quite good for video editing, though less so for gaming.

Also, I would consider seeing if you can get 16 GB of RAM. 8 GB is lots for gaming, but might be a bit restrictive for HD video editing.

I took your suggestion and upgraded the CPU choice above. As for the AMD route, I could not find any good offerings for mATX motherboards that run AMD CPUs. Video editing is not something i need to do, but wanted to experiment with. I did state $1500 as a budget but I don't have to limit my self to that.

If you think I need 16 GB of RAM now, I can do so instead of later.

HappyTangent March 21, 2013 10:30 AM

Something went wrong with my original post here it is again.

hello all. first time build.i'm gonna be doing video editing, gaming in the near
future, and multi tasking with a seconday monitor.When i am gaming or editing, i want
to be able to have other functions running on the side. such as skype and internet browsing.
I dont want backround actions to slow me down such as video rendering.

Budget: I'm going to list the parts below that i picked out so far. The total so far is at $1100.
I still need to choose a power supply and an SSD to store the OS. As well as a regular hard drive
for the bulk of storage. I only chose to run with one video card for the time being. But i want to
be able to upgrade to dual when i need it later in the future.I don't want to exceed $1500
for the initial build.

Parts list: Buying all parts from Newegg.com

Motherboard is the Asus Maximus V Gene. I chose this in hopes of not having to upgrade this
part of the build for a long wile.

CPU:Intel I7 3770 Ivy bridge 3.4 GHz (3.9 HGz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad core

Video card:EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit
GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card:
Again not sure. i chose this because I perfer a less flashy looking card.

RAM:Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB)
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800):
I have heard great things about Mushkin,they are located here in Denver CO. So I would like to run
with this brand.I am open to other brands if it comes to that.

Power supply: all i know is that it needs to be modular and fit into my case.
when and if i upgrade to dual SLI,i want the power supply to be capable provide the power.

Storage:I want an SSD just to store the Windows 7 OS. As for the main storage on a regular
HDD, I could use a suggestion for level of capacity.

HappyTangent March 21, 2013 01:33 PM

What PSU wattage would you guys recommend for this? Keep in mind i want enough room to power a
second video card later on.

SugarJ March 21, 2013 01:53 PM

750 or 850 watt if you're going to SLI later on.

Bond007 March 21, 2013 02:11 PM

Get the corsair, antec, seasonic, or xfx 750-850w power supply of your choice if you want to SLI down the road. Your parts selections are fine, but I would opt for the 3770k and an aftermarket cooler to overclock. If you are going to be leaving everything at stock clocks, then the 3770 is fine, but I would save a few $ on a cheaper motherboard.

HappyTangent March 21, 2013 02:28 PM

Good to know. Thanks very much for your help guys! I'm glad I can move on with the build now.

powerbench March 21, 2013 03:19 PM

I have 2 builds one a miniFt03 Im looking to rebuild if it doesn't sell (waiting for a better card to fit in) the other is a FT03 matx I did last week using a gene v, 3570k,8 gig corsair 1600, 860 corsair ps, optimized a mini pcie ssd and a 2 gig main drive. Its a little tight running this case with 2 titans but I capped by temps at 80c and it does fine, oh yes I run an H80 with 2 Noctua fans at the top vent spot and maxxed temps are high 40s-low 50s all running a mild oc at 4.4 and stable....