Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2013, 03:42 PM
Allstar

The CM 120 didn't get that great of a review, especially when they put in a higher power GPU in it.

AnandTech | Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced Case Review: Little in Almost Every Way

I originally would go for a BF Prodigy but after reading what happen to one of the users here, it will not be on my list for future builds. The Ncase M1 looks nice but it's not in production yet.

NCASE M1 prototype, a Mini-ITX Case | Indiegogo
Old March 10, 2013, 09:44 PM
Allstar

Bitfenix if you're going for watercooling (it's really the only choice besides not-yet-built N1)

the sg07 is a beautiful case if you like a window (although all the vent holes kinda ruin it IMO)

all-around, the node 304 is great, the smallest case that can hold a D14 (if you're into the utterly ridiculous like I am). I'll just say that installing the D14 is a fairly unpleasant experience, although not TOO bad when comapred to the difficulty of mitx builds in general.

the cm 120 looks horrible....there's no room for a beefy CPU heatsink in there.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your choice of case
ASRock FM2A85X-ITX mobo 140$
AMD A8-5500 Trinity APU, is a 65W part 110$
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB 57$
(most systems don't need 8GB but let's say you future proof)
WiFi adapter, go USB, plenty of good model on newegg.ca under 25$, 25$
SSD : your choice of 128GB SATA III SSD (I would go Vertex4/Crucial M4) 125$
HDD : WD RED or AV-GP, 2TB 115$ (moocow build's lacks storage)
DVD burner, go external on USB, plenty models on newegg.ca, 30$
Graphics card : hold off and see what your APU can do, especially if you want to lower resolution to 1280x720, probably you won't need a discrete graphics card
So far you already face a 600$ bill, without taxes, case and PSU
Old March 11, 2013, 07:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
The CM 120 didn't get that great of a review, especially when they put in a higher power GPU in it.

AnandTech | Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced Case Review: Little in Almost Every Way

I originally would go for a BF Prodigy but after reading what happen to one of the users here, it will not be on my list for future builds. The Ncase M1 looks nice but it's not in production yet.

NCASE M1 prototype, a Mini-ITX Case | Indiegogo
Managed to get an h80i in mine with a slight mod. Temps even with a 680 are great, gpu never goes over 60 under full load and the fan still silent. My two sp120s are running @ 800rpm and the chip never goes over 55*

edit : forgot this day and age now its about how it looks rather than how it performs.

Old March 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions all! Slowly going through them and trying to decide on a case. This is pretty hard on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
Bitfenix if you're going for watercooling (it's really the only choice besides not-yet-built N1)

the sg07 is a beautiful case if you like a window (although all the vent holes kinda ruin it IMO)

all-around, the node 304 is great, the smallest case that can hold a D14 (if you're into the utterly ridiculous like I am). I'll just say that installing the D14 is a fairly unpleasant experience, although not TOO bad when comapred to the difficulty of mitx builds in general.

the cm 120 looks horrible....there's no room for a beefy CPU heatsink in there.
Actually, I think I like how the node 304 looks more than the bitfenix prodigy. Price-wise though, the CM120 beats them both. Its just that the reviews that I've been reading are mixed about airflow.

Say we remove Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 from my game list (so its just Sims 3, Torchlight 2 and SimCity now). If I run everything at stock speeds, will I have a cooling problem?

This is going to be my first desktop (from always being on a laptop) so I'm a wee bit anxious about watercooling..

Also, forgive my ignorance but what is a D14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Your choice of case
ASRock FM2A85X-ITX mobo 140$
AMD A8-5500 Trinity APU, is a 65W part 110$
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB 57$
(most systems don't need 8GB but let's say you future proof)
WiFi adapter, go USB, plenty of good model on newegg.ca under 25$, 25$
SSD : your choice of 128GB SATA III SSD (I would go Vertex4/Crucial M4) 125$
HDD : WD RED or AV-GP, 2TB 115$ (moocow build's lacks storage)
DVD burner, go external on USB, plenty models on newegg.ca, 30$
Graphics card : hold off and see what your APU can do, especially if you want to lower resolution to 1280x720, probably you won't need a discrete graphics card
So far you already face a 600$ bill, without taxes, case and PSU
I haven't really considered going AMD. Mostly because all the threads I've read have gone Intel instead. From my limited knowledge of current tech, I think AMD CPUs draw more power and thus produce more heat? Correct me if I'm wrong. If its true though, wouldn't that pose a problem in a small, confined case?

Dang, I was really hoping this could be done on a budget.

Last edited by wonderpig; March 11, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 Heatpipe Cooler w/ NF-P14 140mm & NF-P12 120mm PWM Fans

Monster air cooler. they work good. but are large.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
Allstar

Damn Newegg Canadian pricing. That ASRock board is $40 cheaper in US. You may be able to save some money by getting used from here or get a previous generation card instead of the latest one.