Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2013, 03:18 PM
MVP

Since you mentioned Fractal Design, I'm waiting for their next case, Arc Midi R2. I think it's as close to perfect as I have ever seen. I think they're all good, but open-sink air-cooled CF/SLI needs more airflow. Some cases are ready for it at stock, but most aren't. Sometimes they just need an extra front fan with the drive cages removed (best option), other times a side fan will do it (no dust filter for the side panel).

I'm confused a bit. Thought I saw two video cards in your first post. Well if you're just getting one card, then you can get which ever case you want without worrying.

I stand by my PSU recommendation. A high quality unit will last for several builds and improve overall performance.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:55 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input.

Based on suggestions, my current revision is below. I think I'll place my order within the next couple of days.

I switched the heatsink from a Noctua NH-U12 to a Noctua NH-U9B. Its only a $16 differnce so i dont mine too much switching back. Would the NH-U9B still give me some head room for overclocking the CPU?

For the GPU, I may go with either the HD 7950 or 7970. SHould I opt for XFX with a lifetime warranty or Gigabyte 3 year warranty? The latter is a bit cheaper.

LUAY79 Suggested a better PSU but I dont think I'll make the jump yet, I'll do so when I decide to add another GPU.

Made the change to the IPS monitor as suggested

I do like having a back lit keyboard. I'm not too sure if I need mechanical though.

Wireless card: Would any cheap USB Wireless N adapter do?

Thanks again everyone!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.90 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($30.88 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($68.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Canada Computers)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M90 Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1295.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-25 23:55 EST-0500)
Old February 25, 2013, 10:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ok..

If you think you'll go dual cards in the nearish future then a step up on the PSU is worth it. Why buy twice
However I usually find that if your staying with a single screen (especially 1920x1080) that your best selling your old and investing in a new card rather than dealing with the possible hassles of sli/x-fire when you need a boost in the GPU.
In this case your PSU will be fine until you decide to replace the lot.

On the mechanical keyboard. They do feel better but I could never justify the cost(over $100) as my $15 cherry is damn close to mechanical feel, I don't like (as said) leds all over and I have enough bindings available between my mouse and the normal keys.
If you like backlit keys then the sidewinder you had before seems a good pick, unless you try these things though (maybe a local store or a friend) you won't be able to make an informed decision and you may absolutely love mechanical vs membrane.

The cooler, I'm not familiar with. The CM Hyper 212 is damn good for the price, it gets the nod from most people as being one of the best of the cheaper coolers. Again, research yourself to find as much info as you can and make a choice.
You can OC on the stock cooler, it all depends on how much you want out of it. Pretty much any tower cooler will give you enough headroom to oc to a decent level. Obviously the more expensive ones (should) cool better and quieter.
Again, look for reviews and see if things are to your liking.

Last point is the monitor. I wasn't necessarily saying you *should* get an IPS panel, more that for the price you were paying for the other tn one you could. For me IPS is brilliant as I use my PC for everything.
Watching movies from the bed / couch without everything changing colour and brightness or almost turning negative is a huge plus for me. I also enjoy a spot of photography. Just cos it's right for me doesn't mean it's right for you.
If I was gaming and browsing and maybe watching stuff from my chair then a TN panel would suit me fine.. maybe a 120hz for silky smooth gaming.. again, you need to look at what you want and make the choice that fits you.

It's all well and good asking for people's input to a build but most people advise what they would do.. you need to take what your told with a grain of salt(unless it's a compatibility problem or way below/above the spec you need) and research for yourself.
The more informed your decisions are the less chance you'll be disappointed with them later.

Been about 7 years since I've even looked at wireless for a pc, can't really point you anywhere but towards someone else on that.

P.S, I still can't see a HDD or SSD in there. Have you got your storage already?
Old February 25, 2013, 11:51 PM
Rookie

Thanks DZZOPE

Already have some storage.