Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2013, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Get a cheaper motherboard and cooler, drop the sound-card and get a single 128 or 256 gig ssd instead of messing with 2 small drives.

Any budget left-over drop it on the GPU.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I never like to skimp on the motherboard. I have also never had one fail. Interesting how that works.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Funny cos the 2 motherboards I went to town on (both gigabyte) failed and I had a sucky time.. The cheap Asrock and MSI boards I've had have never had an issue and it's hit and miss on mid price boards.
Point being it's all luck of the draw.

Go for something that your sure you'll have a good customer service with, then it doesn't matter if you have a board fail. What the higher end boards bring is not worth the money for 90% of people.
Skimping is getting the cheapest thing you can.. I just mean don't go over the top. You can buy quality without going for expensive boards.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Totally agree,there is no difference between a Z77 D3H 90$ and a Z77X D3H 130$ for example you just have a black PCB and a few more usb ports or sata you won't even use anyways,a board is a board, as long as you have the features you want,don't worry,unless its for true extreme OC.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:18 AM
Manufacturer Rep

You could drop the Dominators and go for the Samsung Low-Profile green RAM. It's like 50 bucks for 8 gigs, and it overclocks like a dream. The stock settings are something like 11-11-11-28 and I dropped it to 9-9-9-24 without a single issue, meaning there's still headroom.

Asrock makes good boards. MSI makes fairly good ones too. So, here's what I recommend, sections I changed are BOLDED, and in the end you should come out right on target with your previous selections:

motherboard :
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 -LGA1155

processor:
Intel Core i7-3770K
am going to overclock it to 4.2

Ram :
Samsung Low Profile Green RAM
SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US - Newegg.com

Cpu cooler:
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i

Gpu :
MSI GTX 680
MSI N680GTX-PM2D2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 Video Card - Newegg.com

Sound Card:
NO SOUND CARD

HDD :
WD 1 TB sata2

SSD:
Samsung 840 SSD 128GB x2
SAMSUNG MZ-7PD128BW - Newegg.com

power supply:
NZXT Hale90 V2 80 Plus GOLD ATX 750 Watt Fully Modular Power Supply

case:
NZXT ca-ph410-b2 Phantom 410 Mid Tower
Old February 21, 2013, 06:39 AM
Rookie

thanks u all

u guys were really helpful

i think i will go with the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 -LGA1155 to save so cash to put it on MSI GTX 680
and i think that the msi board is easy to use it to overclock the cpu bcoz am a beginner
as for the rams i am gonna need that 32 GB for the 3D modeling
the sound card is going bay bay i can alowes get it later

as for SSD do u think its worth it to get 2 and set it on Raid0 or just get a big one ?
Old February 21, 2013, 06:54 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ntera View Post
thanks u all

u guys were really helpful

i think i will go with the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 -LGA1155 to save so cash to put it on MSI GTX 680
and i think that the msi board is easy to use it to overclock the cpu bcoz am a beginner
as for the rams i am gonna need that 32 GB for the 3D modeling
the sound card is going bay bay i can alowes get it later

as for SSD do u think its worth it to get 2 and set it on Raid0 or just get a big one ?
Go with one big one. Samsung 840's are the best on the market right now. Raid is pointless on modern SSDs, if you were to get two, then one should be for OS, once for caching. I would just go for at LEAST 128GB, probably more if you've got some huge programs you have to install. 128GB runs out really quick.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Go with one big one. Samsung 840's are the best on the market right now. Raid is pointless on modern SSDs, if you were to get two, then one should be for OS, once for caching. I would just go for at LEAST 128GB, probably more if you've got some huge programs you have to install. 128GB runs out really quick.
Xnine I love all your recommendations but getting rid of the MSI MPower mobo, I have used pretty much every brand under the sun and have sold all my boards on here, I have to say the MPower is hands down the BEST!!! Z77 motherboard I have ever had the pleasure of using and everything about it is handcrafted to kick the shit outa the competition in every way it can.

Asrock is fine but usually you get less of a warranty and are stuck dealing with place of purchase for it, and as many who have emailed me for help on here will point out Asrock really does not help much with RMA's until you give them a swift kick in the ACE, but MSI will have a new board to you in most cases less then a week some 48 hours.

My 2 Cents (Also get a Corsair Neutron 240 its a awesome drive :P)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old February 21, 2013, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would sway towards MSI myself if I was in Canada.. Have built with Asrock a few times and no issues so far but we tend to deal with the supplier here for warranties rather than manufacturer (depending on how old an item is, 1st yr only)

That said I think the OP could spend his budget better on the SSD / GPU than the board.. Get a cheaper MSI IMO.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have an MSI, and while it's a mighty fine board, ASUS's UEFI bios is by far the best I've ever tried... Just Sayin'.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;