Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2013, 12:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs up

This is indeed a nice build!
Just one suggestion: if you want to use the 2.5" mounts behind the motherboard and remove the hdd cages for better air flow, you could get a 750GB seagate hybrid drive.
But anyway, this build is nice. :)
Old February 20, 2013, 01:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Two 240GB SSDs are overkill. The Mushy's are also a touch long in the tooth. Get a single San Disk Extreme 240GB.
Sandisk Extreme 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (SDSSDX-240G-G25) - PCPartPicker Canada

Drop back a notch on the Ram. 1866 is over kill. 1600 is more than enough
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (CML16GX3M2A1600C10) - PCPartPicker Canada

I would avoid the TT water cooling. Get a Kraken X40 or Corsair H80i
NZXT Kraken X40 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Kraken X40) - PCPartPicker Canada

Why m-ATX for the mobo? Go for full size mobo such as the MSI g55
MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Z77A-GD55) - PCPartPicker Canada

Asus LK
Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (P8Z77-V LK) - PCPartPicker Canada

Asrock Extreme 4
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Z77 Extreme4) - PCPartPicker Canada

GB UD3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (GA-Z77X-UD3H) - PCPartPicker Canada

Bump the case up a notch and get a Frac R4...very nice case (on sale at ncix for 90 bucks)
Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Window Case Black 2X5.25 1X3.5 8X3.5INT 2X2.5SSD No PSU

I dislike the Corsair G series PSUs. This is one area you do NOT want to skimp on. Go for Seasonic, higher end Corsair or even a XFX (in a pinch)...even a NZXT Hale 90. You want to look for 80 Plus Silver, Gold or Platinum

edit I see you made some changes while I was doing my post. good choices :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 20, 2013, 01:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

True on the SSD, the chronos is very good value and decent performance though.

The above is all good suggestions too, just a lil bit different direction from my preferences. Your choice both are good in their own way. :)
Old February 20, 2013, 12:43 PM
Rookie

Well again some good advice and some intriguing advice about that hybrid 750GB drive, I again went with Dzzopes suggestions with a few changes. Mostly in regards to the motherboard

Whitelight77 - Saved Builds - PCPartPicker Canada

MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt ATX LGA1155 Motherboard to a Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard simply because the asus one is a bit cheaper and it seems like the only difference is the MSI has a greater range of memory type being 1066 at the lowest and 2800 at the highest as opposed to the 1333 and 2400 of the Asus. Considering I'll be using 1600 ram the Asus seems to be a reliable choice (I could be wrong but that's what it seemed like). If I don't hear any imput about the motherboard I may revert back to the MSI Thunderbolt just to not mess with synergy. The Seagate Momentus XT 750GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive I find intriguing and I'd like to try that out. I'll get it from NCIX because it's $20 cheaper through them but it's on this list just to tie up the complete package(I tried suggesting Ncix in the suggested retail box but it never took). If anyone knows anything scandalous about the hybrid drive then please let me know. Otherwise I feel like i'm zeroing in on my final build.

Oh and AKg, you said the Mushkins were a tad long in the tooth. Do you mean the male/female connection prongs? Again I'm extraordinarily green in these matters. Also how would this affect me? If it's a room inside case issue or perhaps connectivity isues?

I also like the case that Akg suggested, the price is good and it's in black which will match a bit better. If I were to get the hybrid drive then I can also get the tower from NCIX, as long as the tower can house the motherboard.

In fact i already ordered a couple parts from NCIX, the only question now is between the 2 motherboards that are listed above in this box. After that it's all about ordering in, I want my new comp by next week :D so excited.

Last edited by Whitelight77; February 20, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ditch the hybrid drive and use the Intel version that comes with your motherboard, it's a much bigger cache drive.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The Momentus XT is great kit for laptops where only ONE storage device can be used. It combines near SSD speed w/ hdd capacity (they are neither hdd nor ssd...rather a third type called "SSHD"- Solid State Hybrid Drive). For a main rig...even that older Mushy Chronos will beat it like it owes it (a lot of) money as it only has a small amount of NAND to use for SSD speeds. Rest is laptop HDD slow.

Stick to a SSD + HDD combo...and skip the SSHDs for another gen or two. IF you go the intel rapid storage route (ala Pernineum)...dont use a SandForce based drive. Get a drive that can take care of itself such as the Cruical M4...and get a 64GB'er (as 60GB is the biggest Intel's hybrid setup supports...or at least that was the largest last time I looked).

When I say long in the tooth, I mean its down right OLD. Its been on the market a long while and newer NAND technologies have come along and superseded its performance abilities. I personally run mainly Intel SSD's in my own rigs. The rest are smattering of Corsair Neutron GTX's, Samsungs, SanDisks and Crucials. YMMV but I would even take a Corsair Force GS 240 over the Mushkin Chronos D. A SanDisk Extreme is about 25bucks more than the Chronos D...and I would take that as money well spent. ;)

Right now the 'best of the best' drives (IMHO) are Intel 520, Samsung Pro 840, Corsair Neutron GTX and Intel DC S3700. Best bang for your bucks are SanDisk Extreme, Corsair Force GS, Crucial M4, Sammy 830 and one or two others.

I personally like the MSI GD55, and more middle of the road Asus boards over the GD45 and LK. BUT if I had to pick, either are decent kit. Probably Asus as they have a RMA centre near'ish me. (YMMV on this one too!) ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 20, 2013, 05:26 PM
Rookie

Thank you kindly, I think I have all the info I need and I'm ready to order it all. Chances are you'll see me again asking more questions of how to and such for overclocking if I don't get all the info I need online. But that's for another forum. Take care all. :)

Tags
builds , compatible