Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2013, 10:53 AM
Rookie

I'm reading many of these suggestions and Dzzope I like your 2nd suggestion for $997 My current tower is 690 Coolermaster I believe, in it is an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard, Intel Core 2 Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz (I'm unsure how to find out more specific info), a Radeon 4890 HD 1GB video card, 2x G Skill Ram 2GB sticks (4GB total), 1TB SATA 32MB Cache Western Digital Drive and an overkill on the Corsair 750W power supply. I'd have to clean it all out and I'd normally do a reformat before I'd sell but with my missing win7 I think I'd have a better chance of selling if I can boot it all up and show them a few games like L4D2 and Borderlands 2 and such just to show them a working product. I may even switch out the power supplies and keep my 750W just because this machine that it's in right now doesn't need that much wattage. It's all alot to digest, I'll keep you guys informed.

Thank you for the product key finder, I know this belongs in a different forum but now that I have my product key how does that help me if i need to do a reinstall? Don't I still need the disk?

Last edited by Whitelight77; February 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Get a disc image from the net.

Old February 16, 2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoast604 View Post
Overclock the q9550.
What he said. ^^^^^^
I would continue using the Q9550, up memory to at least 6-8GB, and upgrade video before I went to an i3 platform. I doubt you would see much of a gain in performance with the i3. Save your loot for i5/i7.

If you consider yourself a gamer, a high end video card is never a bad investment. Base your budget on whatever the best card you can afford will be. Not sure how amd cards stack up, but I see the nvidia line as this:
GTX660/660Ti (low end) Gets it done
(a pair of 660Ti cards in SLI will shit all over the GTX670/680)

GTX670 (mid) creamy
(a pair of these in SLI will kill a GTX680, but offer slightly less performance as a GTX690)

GTX680 (top) Bad-ass
(a pair of these in SLI perform relatively the same as a GTX690)

GTX690 (ultra) Utopia
(the baddest single card solution available)

Also remember, and something a lot of people skimp on; the quality of your PSU will ultimately determine the stability and longevity of your PC's life. Always choose a PSU with sufficient power for your needs, and shy away from budget brands.

Others here might disagree with my nvidia ratings, but hey, I calls them as I sees them.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
Get a disc image from the net.
This,

There is no problem downloading a disk image as long as you have a valid licence to use.

On the second build I have, looking back at it, it would probably be worth bumping the PSU to 600 W to allow for a future GPU upgrade or the like. Think you might need a tad more power if you ever went for a 7970 or the likes (or future top card)

Other than that (and the case, no USB3 on front panel) it's a pretty solid build.
Asrock give you alot of bang for your buck, however I've not had to deal with an RMA for them. (there is one in my brothers, friends and old boss's machine and all are solid and feature rich board)
If you'd be more comfortable with it the MSI in the upgrade link I gave will have RMA centre in CA and have a decent customer service reputation, however I've not actually used their boards in a LOOONG time and certainly not their more budget ones.

Anyway, time for you to go a mull over the options. Do you OC and bump the ram and GPU and add an ssd in your current build.
Replace the mobo, ram GPU CPU and add ssd and sell your old parts
Or sell the lot and buy a new rig..

Weigh up the options and benefits / drawbacks of each and go with what fits for you.

P.S The Nvidia cards are just as (in some people opinion better than) the AMD cards BUT you do pay a premium for them and they don't have near as good a "Game Bundle" with them. (they give in game credits on some free to play titles)
Hence my suggestions are AMD heavy these days.

Last edited by Dzzope; February 16, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just for shitzngiggles try OCing your rig and adding a SSD. A SSD can brighten just about any machine. Then you can consider options from there.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ive got 2 i3 gaming rigs here and they hold up neck and neck with my 970 and 3570k rig. Not sure why everyone is downplaying the i3 so much. Its really just a dual core locked i7.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Again, usually I stay out when I think things are under wraps but the trend of some people for you to keep the Q9550 is a little weak noadays. If you were a single Generation behind in terms of your build, I might have a different attitiude.

However there are many good benefits on upgrading the entirety of your platform.
There is no point in trying to squeeze any more life out of a old rig like that, espically when people have suggested and you have looked at getting SSD's.
That old board won't support TRIM (which helps keep the SSD's fast) and you will probably saturate the SATA Controller bottlenecking the SSD.

An i5 and decent board can be had for a good price on a budget , 8GB of new DDR3 is ultra cheap right now. That is your best option.

As well the suggestion of a 680 is interesting but can be overpowering when running 1080p. I'd only go for at most a 670 unless you were intending on upping your Resolution down the road.
Keeping the (I'm going to assume TX750) PSU is not a bad idea, though getting a newer PSU never hurts. The TX was great back in its era, but there are much better options out there, and you can even (thanks to how efficient the new HW would be) get a smaller , 600W unit and be happy.

I run a i7 3770K and it idles at 90W from the wall. A huge difference comparted to my old Q9550.

Those are my thoughts at least, I can send you some build ideas if you'd like but I figured I'd put some of my own experiences on the table.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 16, 2013, 07:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Again, usually I stay out when I think things are under wraps but the trend of some people for you to keep the Q9550 is a little weak noadays. If you were a single Generation behind in terms of your build, I might have a different attitiude.

-ST
Ya, I forgot how old that SB is... I would have retract my statement about the adding SSD. Sell your gear and go new :) Havent thought about SATA 1 in a long time LOL
Old February 17, 2013, 03:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thread cleaned.
Turn this into a Green Vs Red discussion again and there will be some forum vacations handed out.
We are here to help the OP. Simple as that,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 17, 2013, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it all inclusive or one of those vacations that have all those hidden fees?

Tags
builds , compatible