Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2013, 10:05 PM
Rookie

Okay, I'll mull a few choices over. Still unsure on what video card would be a good match. I'm about to head to bed. I want to see if I can order this all by tomorrow and expect it by next week.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

EVGA 680 SC priecy but worth it
Old February 14, 2013, 10:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Also you might want to try finding the lowest prices on the stuff you want around canada and then use Memory Express for their Uber Price Beat. It is 25% of the difference and can add up to some nice savings that can get you either closer to your budget or a better card. I see little to no reason not to use MemEx as they usually have free shipping...

I usually just take whatever I am looking for and then add "price Canada" after it and canadian price engines search around for deals for me. Got allot of stupid good deals using Uber Price Beat. Only fails you on backordered stuff.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

About the best "value" you'll get is buying something that will last a long time and give you good performance throughout it's life.

That said I've gone over your budget by $80 (there is also $30 of MIR)
Intel Core i5-3570K, XFX Radeon HD 7870 - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

Justifications are:
When you EVENTUALLY need more processing power, you drop in a custom cooler and OC that chip for a SIGNIFICANT boost. It's easy to do and there are plenty of guides.
As said above there are significant gains to be made from an SSD. The one specified is from a good company and you should see good performance.
I didn't skimp on your GPU as you'll want good graphics when your dropping this much on a build / refresh. (You also get tomb raider and bioshock with this card which you can use, sell or give as a gift, saving you some of the over-spend)

There are a few things I'd like to ask though.
What PSU have you currently got?
What resolution is your monitor?
What games do you play?
What are you doing with your old components? (you should be able to sell them to make up for the over-shoot of the budget)

Lastly, would you be better off selling the whole machine and dropping the extra budget on an entirely new build?

Shop around even more than pcpart-picker and you may find some better deals and as said above, price-match it and get it all from 1 place to save the shipping.

Last edited by Dzzope; February 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:19 AM
Allstar

If you could give us a list of what games you play that would make a huge difference in what card is recommended. While I do play a couple games, I was able to get away with a GTX470 which is fairly cheap.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
Rookie

I was reading up on the SSDs and my only concern now is if I'll have enough stoarge space cause 128MB isn't a whole lot, I may have to cough up the extra money and get a 256MB one. I have a regular drive of 1T which is more than enough but I'm unsure if 256MB would do the trick. I do'nt know my stuff well enough to overclock and wouldn't trust myself to do so anyways. The idea however of just makign an entirely new build may be an option but I'd have to hold off on that for another month at least, something I'm considering but it'll only be the tower (and everything in it) as a complete replacement if I go that route. That means I may be looking to spend hopefully less than a grand on a new tower. As for games that I play I like most Steam games taht use the half life/left4dead/portal engine, liked Borderlands, liked Civ V and have a habit of playing micromanagement games that sometimes need a lot of processing power (big maps on Civ V or big maps on SwordOfStars2) and sometimes lag extremely between turns. Of course I'll be periodically buying up new titles and just like being able to play them without lag or slow run time. I sometimes up the graphics but hate having to reduce them (dont' we all). Plus if I can't find my copy of Win7 and decide not to find a pirated version then that'll be some more coin. Ugh lol, seems like my priorites and money spent is going up... I don't dual screen or want 2 video cards cause I"ve seen a system that had 2 and it just looked crowded and overheated. I apologise for shifting my priorites but I'm liking this advice. Better to spend an extra couple hundred and get something nice for a few years than feel like you've wasted money on something subpar.

Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 8GB 2X4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit

NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 3470 Quad Core & ASUS P8Z77-V Lk SLI DDR3 Motherboard

ASUS Radeon HD 7870 1.0GHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 CrossFireX DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E DX 11 Video Card

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5in 256GB SATA3 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case Black 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS w/ Fan Controller & Temp Display

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM

I left out the power supply cause I'm not sure how much wattage I need. I also left out the DVD drive because I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software (or both) that I need to play Blu ray or any specialized CD. This is all running me $914 before shipping and taxes. What would some of you change on that?

Last edited by Whitelight77; February 15, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you want to go for a whole new system, you may start to look at selling your old.
Back-up all the files etc that you have on your current one and then advertise it somewhere.. would be a good entry level gaming system for someone, you should get a few hundred for it easily enough.
You will want to find out exactly whats in it though. What motherboard, ram, PSU case etc will all have an effect on the price.

The spec I listed above is reasonable but you could have really nice machine for about $1300 that should be able to pretty much max out anything currently available Intel Core i5-3570K, HIS Radeon HD 7950, BitFenix Shinobi - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada
This is what I would consider the "sweet spot" for price, performance and quality
You can shave probably a few hundred off that if needed. Eg going for a cheaper board and cooler alone could save you $100 easily

Here is a more budget build $997 Intel Core i5-3570K, Sapphire Radeon HD 7870, Zalman Z9 Plus - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada
The major notes of still having the 240GB SSD, the 3570k and the GPU dropped to a 7870, lower end PSU and no custom cooler (ohh and a fan controller on the case for the same price)
You could push this further by using cheaper ram (probably about $10 less), drop the dvd drive totally unless you actually still use disks.

And the lowest price I can suggest for this is: Intel Core i5-3570K, XFX Radeon HD 7870, Zalman Z9 Plus - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada $880 (including $99 win7 64bit)

On the SSD, a 128GB drive is about the absolute min I would suggest to anyone as it will fit your os and a few large games / programs (that you want to be fast) the rest would go on your secondary drive. (240GB spec'd above)

On overclocking, It's really easy these days and you should be able to find a video or the like to guide you through step by step. You don't need to push any limits but a good stress test to ensure it's stable is a must.
Even if you don't want to overclock right away it's good to have the option in the future and the $20 difference is worth it in re-sale value even if you don't oc

On your Win7, you can easily download a disk image and get your key from your current machine without breaking any laws. Google is your friend (search for "how to get my product key from windows7" or something similar)

This all depends on what you want to do. I'm only trying to give you options. An upgrade may be the best for you, you need to decide.

Last edited by Dzzope; February 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, a ~256GB SSD is the sweet spot. for price/storage. All this information might take a while to digest. Don't rush yourself. If your absolutely sure you want nothing to do with over clocking (not recommended) then you can save a bunch by opting for a locked CPU rather than an unlocked one. The 'K' behind a model number means it is unlocked and overclockable.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to save some money I would look at maybe buying this video card
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 920MHZ 2GB 4.8GBPS GDDR5 DVI HDMI DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-E Video Card
It will have a few less FPS then the 7870 but still will play games fine with 1080p res
Old February 16, 2013, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

ASRock X79 Extreme4 Socket 2011 Intel X79 Chipset $180

Tags
builds , compatible