Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2013, 08:26 AM
Rookie

Default Will all of this be compatible?

Hi there,

I would appreciate if you can tell me if all of this will be compatible together and if it would be a "good" computer to play some recent games, but mostly for watching movies/series :

Processor : Intel Core i3 3220 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Ivy Bridge 3MB Retail Box - DirectCanada

Tower Case : Cooler Master Elite 350 Black ATX Mid Tower Case 500W 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT - DirectCanada

Hard Drive : Western Digital Green 1TB SATA3 6GB/S Intellipower 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive - DirectCanada

Memory : Kingston KVR1333D3N9/8G 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 NON-ECC CL9 DIMM - DirectCanada

Videocard : Gigabyte GeForce GT 610 Silent LP 810MHZ 1GB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 DVI HDMI VGA PCI-E Video Card - DirectCanada

Motherboard : ASUS P8H61-M LX Plus Rev 3.0 H61 mATX LGA1155 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA GBLAN Audio VGA Motherboard - DirectCanada

Thanks!

*** EDIT *** : Will only 1 stick of memory be good (not being use in dual channel) Or should i really get 2 sticks of memory like 2x4gb instead of 1xgb?

Last edited by ShadowRocks; February 13, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Answer these questions so we can get a better idea of what you want-
NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell
Old February 13, 2013, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by concinnity View Post
Answer these questions so we can get a better idea of what you want-
NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell
I just need to know if the parts are compatible together, and if 2x4gb is "better" than 1x8gb for the memory (because the motherboard is dual channel)
Old February 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRocks View Post
I just need to know if the parts are compatible together, and if 2x4gb is "better" than 1x8gb for the memory (because the motherboard is dual channel)
Yes it will be is the short answer.
I would, in this day and age opt for 2 x 4GB sticks vs a single stick. It will be 'better' in dual channel,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 13, 2013, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Compatible, looks like yes. Go for 2x4gb sticks. Don't bother with that graphics card as its very similar performance to the integrated.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure if that video card will offer any benefit over the built-in Intel HD graphics. I don't think it's going to make a huge difference. You'll need something a bit higher end if you want to play games.

I would also go with a "Blue" or "Black" Western Digital hard drive, as the "Green" models are slower and not really recommend to use for anything besides storing data. I wouldn't run Windows off of it.

Actually, for your intended usage, you might be better off with an AMD setup instead based around an AMD A8 or A10 CPU, such as:
AMD A8-5600K APU Quad Core Processor Socket FM2 3.2GHZ 4MB 100W Retail Box
ASUS F2A85-M/CSM mATX FM2 85X FCH DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - DirectCanada
Old February 13, 2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

My System Specs

As others said, yes that should be all compatible. Also suggested, go with 2 sticks of dual channel ram to be optimal. Although the onboard VGA maybe similar in power to the 610, you typically see a performance gain with a dedicated card. As far as gaming goes, you would be limited to older games or less than stellar new games. For watching movies, this config should have no problem. With that said, I bought a laptop a couple years ago that had an i5 CPU and onboard VGA. It couldnt play .mkv files for shit (cant remember what socket. I returned it). If you already have the card, fine. But I wouldnt buy it with intentions of gaming. Lowest end I would go if gaming is a GTX650. But then also, will the i3 CPU cut it gaming?

If you havnt already bought the parts, hold off and see what is recommended here. You dont need huge power to watch movies, but some containers such as .mkv demand some processing power. I would go with a S1155 i5 minimum and a dedicated card. A Core2 Duo with 4GB ram will play movies all day long with a GT610. I have two C2D HTPCs running GV-N610SL-1GI GT610 1G cards. No issues playing movies. Hell, a GT420 was playing them no prob in the same machines. I only switched cards because I got the 610s at a great deal and they have passive cooling. The 420s were loud.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I didn't think H61 boards worked with ivyB
Old February 13, 2013, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As said above, go for 2x4Gb sticks and also bump it to 1600mhz, price difference should be almost nothing.
HDD is not good for an OS drive.
Your not going to do much recent games on that card.
(depending on the games and monitor resolution, please let us know what your hoping to play and at what res so we can better advise, budget would be good too, we may be able to find you deals etc)

the i3 should be fine for games.
Not sure on the motherboard, have a look at the manufacturers page and see if it is supported.

If your really tight on budget, look at second-hand parts. Much more bang for your buck. A PhenomII X4 / i3/i5 and mid range card from a couple of years ago will be much better than this for gaming and will probably cost the same.

Also I wouldn't get a case with PSU. you can find some ok cases for $20~ and a known psu for $40~ or yet again look second-hand.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all your answers everybody, very helpfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm not sure if that video card will offer any benefit over the built-in Intel HD graphics. I don't think it's going to make a huge difference. You'll need something a bit higher end if you want to play games.

I would also go with a "Blue" or "Black" Western Digital hard drive, as the "Green" models are slower and not really recommend to use for anything besides storing data. I wouldn't run Windows off of it.

Actually, for your intended usage, you might be better off with an AMD setup instead based around an AMD A8 or A10 CPU, such as:
AMD A8-5600K APU Quad Core Processor Socket FM2 3.2GHZ 4MB 100W Retail Box
ASUS F2A85-M/CSM mATX FM2 85X FCH DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard - DirectCanada
I really like what you proposed, do you know what is the Max Ram the AMD setup can contain?

Thank you a lot!

Tags
compatible