Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2013, 12:11 PM
Rookie

:-( Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Great Big Abyss - that's for the parts-picker link.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's not that I suggest the 600t over the 650d, but more that I find the 600t is so incredibly easy to work with. Not to mention, the 650d feels like it's designed more as a budget water cooling case. The 600t has an excellent air cooling layout. But at the end of the day, it really comes down to personal preference.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:32 AM
Allstar

Hi Strato. I'm with the Canucks in everything they suggested, and I see other areas of reducing price and increasing performance, without the slightest compromise.

i5 3570K is perfect and as capable as i7 even on non gaming apps provided they are not multi threaded apps. The difference will be unnoticeable.

Your rig as it is will barley touch 4GB of RAM so 8GB is plenty and will last you a long time.

I understand your appreciation of aircoolers as I haven't used a closed water loop because of Noctua. No one beats the Noctua's cooling+quiteness/price even today. Size is the problem and for that I'd pick the NHU12P SE2. It is easily my favorite, just one heatsink vs two for the nhd14, 1 degree hotter but much more quite and cheaper.

Motherboard. Again you're burning cash on pointless extras. Asus P8Z77-V LK has SLI and CF x8/x8, sideways-mounted SATA 6Gbps ports, which shouldn't interfere with long graphics cards, and Asus's UEFI firmware (best ever).
If you nedd 4 SATA6 ports, step up to the Asus P8Z77-V. The wireless LAN is a nice addition but not a deal changer as I always prefer to use USB wireless adapters.

GPU, no doubt $400 HD 7970 is king now. The more expensive GTX 680 is not an improvement. However step down to $300 and the GTX 66ti for some reason plays "smoother" than the HD 7950.
Looking at Newegg, the Gigabyte HD 7970 3xwindforce for $380 is the best permance+noise/price. Asus DCUII is triple slot, MSI is overpriced, and I have no experinece with HIS but I didn't like their products a couple of years ago but I'm sure they improved.
If you have cash to burn and no intention to overclock, then pay the extra $30~40 for the Ghz edition.

Do you have enough $$$ now for that 512GB SSD yet??? Yeah that's what I'd get for your budget.
You still can.

HDD: storage is for files, whether audio, video or documents. Unlike exe. files, Speed is irrelevant. WD Black are fast, but they are loud and power hungry. Paying $$$ for that Noctua cooler, custom video card, case and worst of all, SSD, and then piing all over it with a black drive is just ....ed up.
WD Green for ulra low power and quiteness, Red with the longest warranty if you like to keep your PC on 24/7.

Asus Xonar STX and DX both have the same AV100 audio chip. For games and listening on decent audio gear there isn't a difference.

Now does your budget fit that Seasonic Gold KM3 (XFXBEFX) or Platinum XP2 (CorsaiAX) PSU? Yes for your budget, that's how I'd roll. Problem is, 650~660W is where you should be unless you want to add another video card.

Good luck with the case. I'm not touching that one but thanks for reading
Old February 8, 2013, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Disagree on the black drive if you need faster access to your video files which you are working on / from (If you don't keep the current work files on the SSD). Though if you do go with a ramdisk it would also relieve the problem.

Also on the ram with a few browser tabs open (maybe more than a few) and other things I always have running (skype, ts etc etc) and a game running I sit at 5.5GB used ram. Granted that will still leave you with plenty of room with 8
but you'll use more for video editing and as you said you want to play with a ramdisk, 16GB is reasonable 32GB is a bit much but allows for a bigger ramdisk.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You don't need a CPU cooler like that for "light" OC,it's a cpu cooler for extreme OC ^^ take something like a 212 evo or 412pwm.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz View Post
You don't need a CPU cooler like that for "light" OC,it's a cpu cooler for extreme OC ^^ take something like a 212 evo or 412pwm.
Agreed, the NH-D14 makes easy access to your ram difficult. I would consider the 212 evo or one of the corsairs aio coolers instead.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the great feedback so far. Even where I haven't accepted a specific piece of advice, it has given me something to think about -- and that will help ensure I am happy with whatever I end up with!

Here's where I currently am at on choosing components:

PCPartPicker list: Intel Core i5-3570K, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970, Corsair 600T (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.88 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($95.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($245.99 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($384.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($83.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair 600T (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($137.17 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.88 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1977.44

Notes:
- Still looking at other cooling options. One that I am considering is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13. However, I have to admit I am partial to Noctua simply because I've never, ever had a problem with any system that I've put one in.

- Still planning on the MPower mobo, though I'm trying to talk myself down to a cheaper model. :-) I like the USB and SATA capabilities of the MPower and the overall bang-for-the-buck.

- I've dropped to 16GB RAM. I know I'll use more than 8, but even with a RAMdisk it is unlikely I'll need more than 16 very often. Save the money now and buy more RAM later if I find I do actually need it. Thanks, everyone, for the reality-check!

- The noise / power issue for the Blacks is valid, but I do think speed on data drives is important, especially when very large data files are involved. I'm going to give it a bit more thought over the weekend, but I'll probably stick with the Blacks. My other (existing) HDDs are mostly Greens. That's fine for my archived stuff that doesn't get called upon very often. For the working files, though, I think I'll trade off noise for speed.

- After looking closer at the GPU options, I've gone with the AMD offering. Definitely better bang-for-the-buck. Any feedback on the specific 7970 model I've listed? Great price...

- The case is still a placeholder. It looks good, but there are several I'm waffling over.

- Can anyone confirm if the memory I've listed is suitable for the mobo? Any suggestions / feedback on alternatives? (I'm not particularly knowledgeable about RAM).

I'm likely going to order everything on Monday. Thanks again for all the assistance.