Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2013, 02:07 PM
Rookie

Default Need pro help with new build

I haven't built a PC in years my last PC was a asus g74 laptop and another laptop before that.
I am looking to be able to fraps/stream my game play as I have a pro YouTube account. So I need to be able to play and record. I'm thinking of getting the aver media live gamer card also. I play mostly planetside 2 and Tera online right now.

For CPU I'm thinking i7-3770k, is there a better option than this?
For power supply corsair AX 850 (fully modular)
Cooling corsair h100i (seems like the best solution for getting 4.6 overclock?)
Case corsair 650d I want something clean looking and this seems to fit the bill

I don't know what kind of mother board to go with, I'm willing to spend around 300? Ill be pickin up a sound card so on board audio isn't important to me, I need help picking a good mother board.

I haven't kept up on hardware much and for RAM I was thinking corsair dominator, I'm just not sure what's best, I'm guessing 2133mhz is good, but what kind? CL9 or CL10? I want 16 gigs
So is 2 8 sticks or 4 4gig sticks better?

I want to spend around 2k if I go with a gtx 680 but if I got a 690 I'd obviously spend 2500.

What's the best 680 to go with? I think there's not much Choice for 690s.

For a monitor there's the new asus 24 inch vg248qe, I don't know how good it is but I want something great for gaming, 1ms and 120hz.

Don't know if I missed any parts I need, any helps would be appreciated.
I'm going to buy from memory express here in Edmonton, they do price beating for any retailer in Canada online even, does anyone know a good price search engine for finding good deals.

Last edited by JonJonPoPong; February 1, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I always use pricebat.ca or shopbot.ca Someties one will have a retailer that the other doesn't.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look at ASUS fore that money you can get a pritty high end board,

Edit : Asus Maximus V Gene w/ DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX / SLI at Memory Express ??
Old February 1, 2013, 04:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

G.skill ripjaws memory is pretty good. 4x4 sticks.

G.SKILL F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL Ripjaws X 16GB 2X8GB Kits 240PIN DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory
Old February 1, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJonPoPong View Post
For CPU I'm thinking i7-3770k, is there a better option than this?
For power supply corsair AX 850 (fully modular)
Cooling corsair h100i (seems like the best solution for getting 4.6 overclock?)
Case corsair 650d I want something clean looking and this seems to fit the bill

I don't know what kind of mother board to go with, I'm willing to spend around 300? Ill be pickin up a sound card so on board audio isn't important to me, I need help picking a good mother board.

I haven't kept up on hardware much and for RAM I was thinking corsair dominator, I'm just not sure what's best, I'm guessing 2133mhz is good, but what kind? CL9 or CL10? I want 16 gigs
So is 2 8 sticks or 4 4gig sticks better?
Personally I would get either Asus or MSI - both make good boards and both have RMA centres in Canada. The Asus Z77 sabertooth is an excellent board - i owned one and its been the best board I've ever owned. Excellent layout. For MSI something like a GD 65 would be great.

For ram just get a 1600MHz or 1866 kit. Generally speaking using 2x8GB sticks would be better, but 4x4GB is probably cheaper and you can find these sticks with lower timings usually (lower timings are better). You might gain 2-3% performance with 2133 compared to 1600. Save money here and put it towards a good video card. Gskill is a good memory brand.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:54 PM
Rookie

The asus sabertooth if you use two video cards the pice lanes end up being 8 and 8 and not 16 and 16?
Does it make much difference if your using 8 and 8 vs 16 and 16?
What's a motherboard that would support more pcie lanes and not drop? Do you need to use a different CPU I think for 48 pcie lanes?

Is there really very little difference between 1600 ram and 2133?

Thanks for all the info guys it helps a lot.

What's a good 680 gtx card to go with? What's the best one?
I'm thinking I might go 690, just the thought of spending 1000 on a video card seems sort of silly, but if I save enough elsewhere on my build I can see myself spending the money.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Big point left out is what res are you playing / recording at?

7970 is worth a look too, depending on you capture software's preference between AMD and Nvidia.
Should have better raw power than a 680, More memory and a larger bus/bandwidth, all of which should be useful for 120hz and streaming / recording,
Not to mention generally being better value (though maybe not with the game bundle expired) and the new drivers increasing performance even more and better facilities to oc the hell out of it vs nvidia..
Though I still think the Nvidia's are better for multi-GPU support.

There is also the "Titan" from Nvidia which you could consider if your not in a rush. But thats still just rumour.
GeForce Titan
Old February 2, 2013, 01:34 AM
Allstar

Yes Titan! But you'll probably be overpaying $200 over it's real price because it will be the only card with that performance for a while.

$400 HD 7970 is great, and used to be $600 one year ago.

Network card, sound card and possible SLI/CF? And overclocking beyond 4.2Ghz???

That makes your choices for motherboard very limited and easy. Your needs are PLX (added lanes), extended ATX and, and a mean voltage regulator. Asus Maximus V extreme would be my choice. But even then you won't be giving your video cards 32 lanes because of the sound and network cards.

For PSU I'd stick to Seasonic Gold (KM3) originals and re-brands from XFX BEF, or Seasonic Platinum (XP2) originals and rebrands from Corsair AX.

Newegg.com - XFX P1-850B-BEFX 850W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

First I thought $300 TN panel? WTH?? But that display looks amazing. Seriously it's made for games and nothing else. Pair it with Nvidia card and 3D kit! Be warned the colors on your video recordings will suck big time.

Last edited by Luay79; February 2, 2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why would the colours on his recordings suck?

And i'm guessing he has no interest in 3d, just super high frames for smooth as possible play.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:52 AM
Allstar

Hey Dzzope

TN panels (we discussed this b4 :p) sacrifice color accuracy. Black definition will be average, white purity below average. Color degradation will be noticeable when viewing off-angle. That is why image quality of the vg248qe will suck.

The best thing about it is the quick refresh which ensures that artifacting/ghosting will never happen.

If you're playing in 3D using an Nvidia card, then it is worth buying. If you aren't, then the VN247H for almost half price feature the same quick refresh rate and similar image quality, and it has a thinner bezel so it will be perfect should you buy 2 more for surround gaming, and stay below $600.