Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2013, 05:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ahh, you mean his view of them, the way you said it, it sounded like you were talking about the recordings quality.

Yea TN panels have much poorer colour accuracy but then he's just recording game-play, it's not professional stuff he's looking for or editing really..

The 120hz will provide smoother game-play too though the 75 on that monitor is far from poor..
Old February 3, 2013, 05:39 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJonPoPong View Post
Does it make much difference if your using 8 and 8 vs 16 and 16? Do you need to use a different CPU I think for 48 pcie lanes?

Is there really very little difference between 1600 ram and 2133?
To answer your questions, memory bandwidth (hz, the higher the better) and latency (CL, the lower the better) can influence frame rates if the game is less graphics bound and more CPU dependent, such as Skyrim and F1 2012.
Games such as Metro and BF3 on the other hand are more graphics oriented and their performance is more consistent with the GPU's speed so bandwidth and latency have almost no effect.
Even then, games that are CPU bound tend to hit high frame rates with mid-end video cards so higher bandwidth and tighter latency will increase FPS, but the increase won't be visible to the naked eye.

Your first question, the number of (native) lanes available to you is dependent on the PC platform (LG 1155 ex.), and that is decided by the manufacturer of the platform (Intel), and then motherboard manufacturers can add lanes using 3rd party chips such as the PLX chip on ivy bridge.
Again the answer to whether this will affect FPS or not depends on how well the game scales in SLI/CF and how "graphics bound" the game is and how high your resolution is. It could be as low as %3 and as high as %15.

So the most important thing when building is to balance your specs. The higher resolution you play with, the more processing power you need, the better components you should get.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:22 PM
Rookie

I want to thank all of you for the help with your advice and the information provided.
I just finished my new PC today and am installing a ton of stuff now, Ill throw up a video of it tonight.