Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Gathering Info for a new computer (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/59381-gathering-info-new-computer.html)

From Jim January 27, 2013 07:37 PM

Gathering Info for a new computer

Hi Everyone,

I would like your input at to choosing suppliers for a new comuter, starting with the retailers, It will be Intel, OS probably Windows 8 64bit , motherboards, hard drives, memory, SSD drives, cooling, what ever you like and have had success with.

My new computer will be built around the 80% level, not the top but quite good, fast, cool and quiet.

I don't need the fastest processor, the hardest it will work is video editing, cad, not for games, I want a reliable, fairly fast, quiet computer that will boot quickly and last 5 or 6 years.

I have been buying from Direct Canada, NCIX, and NewEgg, all seem ok, I now have an Asus motherboard that was top when I bought it and it has served me well but I can't get help when I need it.
I live in northern NB and have to rely on the internet to make purchases, shipping is really good, and I am not it much hurry as we usually have three computers at a time.

Thanks for any help
God bless
Jim

bliz January 27, 2013 08:28 PM

Depends on your budget...something fast but affordable (around 1000$) would be

i5 3570k,a best seller
A SSD,maybe samsung or corsair120gb +
A GOOD case (fractal design R4) with fan controllers to run it quiet...
A good psu,bequiet or corsair,500w+ 80+ gold...
Good fans,if you wanna replace em,anyway ,some noctua fans
A good CPU cooler to replace the Sh1t stock noisy intel cooler :D maybe coolermaster 212evo or 612 pwm,if you want to really overclock the CPU...

And for motherboards,GIGABYTE all the way! 100$+ is just fine.

A GPU? maybe something cheap,if you don't play games... like a GT 640.Or smaller

16 gigs of ram,any ram will do the job,1600 mhz or more ,kingston is good ,or corsair,but don't waste money in premium ram^^

moocow January 27, 2013 08:30 PM

Are you a profession drafter or just using CAD and video editing as a hobby? What kind of CAD and video editing software do you use? AutoCAD and Adobe CS do use video card for computation. More importantly, what's your budget?

Reasonable budget
* No one brand I recommend for motherboard because I haven't build any new machine in a while.
* Intel 3550 or 3570 CPU
* 2x8 GB of RAM
* Intel 550 series 250 GB SSD. Sure OCZ is cheaper but their RMA service is horrid. May be a M4 256GB as alternative. Again not expert in this are but those are the 2 I'm looking at myself.
* Nvidia 5xx series video card. Should be a bit cheaper than the current 6xx series but since you don't game, it may be just enough for CAD and video editing. Again, look at your software and see if they even use a discrete video card for computation.
* 600W power supply should be enough. Just get a decent brand like Antec or Enermax. Other users would know more about which ones to get.

If you're not in a hurry, you could wait for Haswell coming out this year.

Dzzope January 28, 2013 08:01 AM

Totally depends on your budget and how much rendering is involved with your cad and video editing.

Throwing it out there, AMD FX8350, in multi-core stuff it should leave a 3770k behind and costs $30ish less than a 3570k, not to mention AMD boards are generally cheaper too.
Add to that that Microsoft are due to release an update which *should* help the AMD chip too.. (see tek syndicate youtube review on this chip) more details needed before this is confirmed though.

Other options are 3570k as said above or the 3770k for $100 more.. the 3770k will leave the 3570 in the dust on tasks that use multiple cores.
Also Haswell out somewhere near the summer.

On the overclocking.
It's really easy to do theses days and you can get 25% increases in clock speeds with minimal effort.. really worth it these days on both Intel and AMD chips. Have a look into it.
If you do decide to OC, then get an after market cooler.. if not a stock one should be fine (if a bit noisy compared to at least some aftermarket options)

If the programs you use (cad and whatever video package) make use of your video card to increase performance, see what they recommend and stick one in.

Couldn't disagree with bliz on the mobo more, Gigabyte for me have too lousy a customer service and I have personally only ever had problems with their motherboards. (I know thats just luck)
Add to that that you would have to RMA to the states if you did have a problem... Get MSI or Asus, both renowned for their customer service and both have return centers in Canada.

Ram, well the more the better.. either 16 (2x8) or 32GB(4x8) for your usage.. it all depends on what your doing (how big the video's are, effects your using etc).
Ram is cheap so there is no harm in sticking in more if it's in the budget and you should have a better idea of what your using.

600watt good quality PSU, corsair, seasonic, xfx.. Seasonic 650W 80+gold would be my pick.

Case, get something that you like.. Make sure it has the features you want (enough room to hide your cables behind the motherboard tray, enough cooling options, noise dampening etc)
and then from the ones you find pick the one you like the look of best at a price you don't mind paying.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...eo-review.html
or as said above the fractal is pretty good too.

SSD and HDD..
Get a SSD for your os and if it's in the budget a second to use as a scratch disk., agree with the above on the Intel 520. But the Vertex4, samsung 840 among others are also very good.
HDD, I would get something like 2x 2TB WD Blues / reds and have them mirror each-other in raid.. HDD failure with video work etc is always bad

Use ncix or the like to price-match all your bits and then get it in 1 order.

Masteroderus January 28, 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by From Jim (Post 687011)
Hi Everyone,

I would like your input at to choosing suppliers for a new comuter, starting with the retailers, It will be Intel, OS probably Windows 8 64bit , motherboards, hard drives, memory, SSD drives, cooling, what ever you like and have had success with.

My new computer will be built around the 80% level, not the top but quite good, fast, cool and quiet.

I don't need the fastest processor, the hardest it will work is video editing, cad, not for games, I want a reliable, fairly fast, quiet computer that will boot quickly and last 5 or 6 years.

I have been buying from Direct Canada, NCIX, and NewEgg, all seem ok, I now have an Asus motherboard that was top when I bought it and it has served me well but I can't get help when I need it.
I live in northern NB and have to rely on the internet to make purchases, shipping is really good, and I am not it much hurry as we usually have three computers at a time.

Thanks for any help
God bless
Jim

My very favorite supplier is memory express. They have given me and my friends the best of service and have always honoured their obligations. They even went above and beyond when my black widow died a couple days after the return period, and gave me a new one.

Since you are video editing, and don't want the best of the best, I highly recommend the amd 970 platform.

This offers a single 16x pcie 2.0 slot, or 8x/8x. I assume you do not want to crossifre/sli cards, otherwise I would recommend the 990FX chipset with 2x16x slots. MSI and ASUS are the best, but I have had a few good gigabyte boards too.

This allows you to purchase the FX-8350 processor, which is of the highest price to performance ratio for many mutli-threaded apps. You can use the money saved on this good mutlithreaded processor to max out your memory to 32GB, which will allow you a sizable ramdisk drive.

Having a socket am3+ motherboard also allows you to upgrade your processor to the next two (predicted) amd generations of processors without changing motherboards.

I would go with a proven SSD. The intel 520 series has a good reputation and are comparable in price to other SSD manufacturers.

For the video card: I would do research on the exact version/brand of software you plan to be using and what CONSUMER GRADE cards work well with it. When you up the ante to workstation graphics you quite often pay a huge premium. A great example is bitcoin mining. I'll take a 5970 over a quadro 5000 (300 bucks vs 2000) any day of the week.

99.99Asus M5A97 R2.0 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, USB 3.0, CrossFireX at Memory Express
209.99AMD FX-8350 Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache at Memory Express
199.99Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL10 Quad Channel Kit (4 x 8GB), Black at Memory Express
139.99Intel SSD 520 Series SATA III Solid State Drive, 120GB with Desktop Installation Kit at Memory Express

This is a basic ~$650 system pre video card, without a storage HDD. Since you're running this for cad I do not know if you're planning on running a raid 1 array, or something with data protection.

Otherwise I usually recommend the WD 1TB caviar black.

bliz January 28, 2013 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear you had problems with gigabyte,but they are really known for their quality,gigabyte is known as the motherboard pro...I think you had bad luck,because most people love gigabyte <3

I build 3 PCs with gigabyte,no problem,and my old PC is also gigabyte,i think the ultra durable is really good...

From Jim January 28, 2013 12:27 PM

I am impressed with the feedback, I have never used anything but Intel since 1985 and have always had good service, I was intending to buy an Intel motherboard until I read they are getting out of that business. I see quite a few ideas that are encouraging, I will study them, notably the quiet case and ability to hide the cables, that is important to me. As for CAD I use an older version and only for myself and friends, my old PC does just fine with it. Video editing is with Adobe and again it's just for fun or to help someone else, rendering is a bit slow on my PC. One of my sore spots is waiting for a computer to boot or shutdown, The Asus P5AD2-E Premium with 4GB ram and a 3.0 CPU takes about 2 minutes to fully boot and be on the internet. I see the new Windows 8 ads saying 2sec boot to bios, 7sec boot to Windows 8, This is hard to believe. I'll keep reading, and posting here.

Thanks for now
God bless all
Jim

Dzzope January 28, 2013 12:35 PM

With a decent SSD you can have pretty damn fast boot times anyway..
after all the BIOS stuff my machine takes about 5 - 7 sec to get to log-in and is 100% usable withing 2 seconds of logging in.

Obviously this will depend on what you have set to start on boot (for me it's Steam, skype MSN and chrome with about 10 tabs open.)

With windows 8 they pull some tricks to make it fast. Keep reading.

Whats your budget BTW?

From Jim January 30, 2013 08:52 PM

I was very impressed with the NZXT H2, I will check if I can get one, this came out in 2011, there may be some with the options you mentioned would be nice to have.

Thanks for your help
God bless
Jim

From Jim February 10, 2013 05:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while but I finally have a list I would like your comments on, I may have mis-matched items, motherboard vs cpu vs ram etc. I have chosen NCIX as my supplier and think their prices are fair, my problems started when I began reading the customer feedback on problems they had, there was quite a high rate for most items but the most discouraging remarks were the lack of help from dealers or manufacturers, which I tend to believe since I have had trouble with my present Asus P5AD2-E Premium board and have never received help in correcting the problem. I notice NCIX offers assembly and testing for $50.00, wouldn't it be wise to use this service since this should at least make sure you receive working and compatible components avoiding the hassle of RMAs and the eventual loss of even being able to RMA it some part returned was back ordered and the time limit for RMA on the remaining parts runs out. This very thing happened to me with a hard drive I bought and didn't get to use within the time limit and then found I had a dead drive. $100 down the drain.

The following is my list, thanks to all who helped with it.

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 DDR3 SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SAT A3 Display Port USB3.0 $200.00

CPU Intel Core i7 3770K unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5 GHz Ivy Bridge 8MB Retail (what's retail mean?) $330.00

CPU cooler Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink cooler $30.00

SSD Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5in Sata 3 MDX Solid State Disk $190.00

HDD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Sata 6GB/S 7200RPM $79.00

Case Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium ATX Mid Tower Case $110.00

PS Corsair Professional HX750W ATX 12 62A 24pin Modular Power Supply 140mm fan $132.00

RAM Corsair Vengeance Black 4 X 8GB -DDR3 - 1600 CL10 1.5V Quad Channel Memory kit $207

GPU Asus Radeon HD 6570 650 MHZ 1GB 1800MHZ DDR3 low profile HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Video card $70 (I probably don't need this since the CPU and MB support IG)

OS Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64BIT full version OEM $138.00 (Windows 7 ???)

Blu-Ray Asus BW-14D1XT Internal 14X 3D Blu-Ray Writer SATA $106

Shipping $43.80
Taxes $212.74
Total $1849.21

Please feel free to comment, this is not final, I may even buy from a dealer, let me know what you think.

I hope it's Ok posting the prices and supplier name, I intend to start another thread to get as much input as possible, hope this is OK.

Thanks
God bless
Jim