Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Thank you all for your input, If there are reps from NCIX here how can we find them? and I guess my thoughts are why should I have to even go looking for them? seems to me it's their business, they should be trying to promote and look after. I post to this forum in hopes of receiving help, which I do from good people like the above. My initial intent was to build the computer myself, but being so far from Vancouver, Northern NB, I was afraid of the cost should I have to ship back to NCIX or the manufacturer so decided to have it built by NCIX, to make sure at least the components matched, were in stock and worked, next I decided on the VIP membership to gain the one year warranty and free RMA, then the problem of finding out what was covered could not be found, their description simply says,

VIP members will automatically receive extended warranty coverage on selected OEM components, giving added peace of mind when buying OEM parts. Under the VIP program, members will enjoy additional in-store service coverage on selected products, in addition to the manufacturer's standard warranty on the merchandise.

Which is great if we knew what the selected OEM components are.

I am asking any NCIX rep. who reads this to get in touch with me, and at this point I still may not buy from NCIX, my reason being that I think any company wanting to please their customers should provide assistance with out this much effort.

I hope I don't break any rules when I say, If you ever want to deal with a GOOD company for tools, go to LeeValley Tools, I couldn't believe how far they go to please their customers, I bought an expensive light from them for a Christmas gift and after receiving it I noticed it wasn't what I though and the return would be difficult, as I went to the box to see my invoice I noticed a shipping label, it was a return label completly filled in, paying for shipping etc. a few days later I checked my Visa account and sure enough the full cost was refunded. Thank God for people like LeeValley Tools. It's too bad computer retailers don't learn from them.

If anyone does know of a company like LeeValley Tools who sells computers PLEASE let me know.

Thank you
God bless
James
Old February 18, 2013, 05:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Most of us build our own computers Jim, getting a doa part happens but it doesn't happen that often though. There is NCIX warehouses here in Toronto also. Getting a 100% guaranty in things doesn't usually work out. Me I would enjoy building the system myself instead of some lad in the back of ncix. The guys have looked over your config and would point out any problems they would have seen. Order from where ya like and build the system yourself is your best bet IMHO.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are no official NCIX reps here. Linus drops in from time to time, but declares that he doesn't do any official business here. We have one of their techs who provides opinions on new builds, but again not in any official capacity.

So, here's my take (and no, I don't work there). If you are at all uncomfortable building the system, pay the $50 and have them build it. That includes your one year NCIX warranty on all parts. Or pay the $75 for the Premium install, which includes extra burn-in time. I'd only pay for VIP or Premier Partner if you are building multiple systems.

As for the pricematch, do your best shopping around on shopbot.ca or pricebat.ca and resubmit with your order.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
There are no official NCIX reps here. Linus drops in from time to time, but declares that he doesn't do any official business here. We have one of their techs who provides opinions on new builds, but again not in any official capacity.

So, here's my take (and no, I don't work there). If you are at all uncomfortable building the system, pay the $50 and have them build it. That includes your one year NCIX warranty on all parts. Or pay the $75 for the Premium install, which includes extra burn-in time. I'd only pay for VIP or Premier Partner if you are building multiple systems.

As for the pricematch, do your best shopping around on shopbot.ca or pricebat.ca and resubmit with your order.
Thanks for the advice, I have intended to use NCIX to build, my problem now is I can't find out what the warrenty covers, see below their description of warrenty,

Extended Warranties on Selected OEM Products VIP members will automatically receive extended warranty coverage on selected OEM components, giving added peace of mind when buying OEM parts. Under the VIP program, members will enjoy additional in-store service coverage on selected products, in addition to the manufacturer's standard warranty on the merchandise.

This is very open in my opinion. How can we hold them to a warranty like this?

Thanks
God bless
James
Old February 20, 2013, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most of the parts you selected will have warranties that go beyond the NCIX warranty anyway. If you receive a part from NCIX that is DOA, you typically have 30 days to return it for an exchange. After that time frame, if something fails because of manufacturer error, you can return it to the manufacturer.

Honestly, I don't see what's so complicated about this. Most of us here will build systems and spend thousands of $$$ at NCIX or Memory Express. Usually that experience is a big one. These are big companies. They're not little two-bit dime stores out to rip you off. NCIX has multiple locations in BC, and Warehouses in BC and Ontario. Just redo the pricematch, order the system, and if any parts arrive DOA, NCIX will help you out. It's that simple.

Also, you don't care about the warranties on OEM products. OEM products are designed for system builders. They typically don't come in nice packaging, and don't have any accessories. YOU, my friend, will be getting RETAIL products.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 20, 2013, 08:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Most of the parts you selected will have warranties that go beyond the NCIX warranty anyway. If you receive a part from NCIX that is DOA, you typically have 30 days to return it for an exchange. After that time frame, if something fails because of manufacturer error, you can return it to the manufacturer.

Honestly, I don't see what's so complicated about this. Most of us here will build systems and spend thousands of $$$ at NCIX or Memory Express. Usually that experience is a big one. These are big companies. They're not little two-bit dime stores out to rip you off. NCIX has multiple locations in BC, and Warehouses in BC and Ontario. Just redo the pricematch, order the system, and if any parts arrive DOA, NCIX will help you out. It's that simple.

Also, you don't care about the warranties on OEM products. OEM products are designed for system builders. They typically don't come in nice packaging, and don't have any accessories. YOU, my friend, will be getting RETAIL products.
My problem now is the fact that I can't get anyone at NCIX to tell me what exactly is warrantied, I quoted the maximum I could find on their website concerning warranty, they state "

Extended Warranties on Selected OEM Products VIP members will automatically receive extended warranty coverage on selected OEM components, giving added peace of mind when buying OEM parts. Under the VIP program, members will enjoy additional in-store service coverage on selected products, in addition to the manufacturer's standard warranty on the merchandise. " What I want to know is what is selected, and I can't find out.

Thanks
God bless
James
Old February 20, 2013, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But, it doesn't matter, because the extended warranty is only on OEM parts, which you won't be getting anyways. Forget about the VIP membership if you're only buying parts for one rig for you.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
But, it doesn't matter, because the extended warranty is only on OEM parts, which you won't be getting anyways. Forget about the VIP membership if you're only buying parts for one rig for you.
Please forgive me if I seem not to want to let this go, I thought I knew quite a bit about computers and building them, I've been doing it since 1985, but I see that I still have something to learn, if you will have the patience, which I think you do otherwise you would not have been so helpful as you have. Would you please explain why you keep repeating, "you won't be getting OEM parts" "You will be getting retail", all these years I always thought all parts came from the manufacturer, some in fancy boxes others in static bags, I simply thought it was to save on cost since they didn't appear in a brick & mortar store. The most important thing I can see about the VIP membership is should I have to return the computer or parts the shipping is paid by NCIX, which leaves me with the same question, what parts will they warranty and pay shipping on? Their website is next to useless when trying to get this information. I do have one person, Brian Lau, who has offered to help me choose components and answer my questions, I have sent him an email asking the same questions as here, I'll post if I get an answer from him.

Thanks
God bless you
James
Old February 23, 2013, 02:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OEM parts are for system builders and generally come with only a 1year warranty (see Intel cpu's for example)

You don't really want to save the few bucks going OEM for this reason alone. (obviously I can't tell you what parts do drop the warranty down as there are so many but it's not all. HDD's for example aren't affected)

And really if you can't get an answer from NCIX no-one here is going to be able to help with a list of parts that this covers.
Old February 24, 2013, 06:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your advice, I am not is a big hurry and I am going to try and build the best I can using the advice I get here. Who ever sells me the parts or computer is going to have to tell me what is warrantied, for how long and by whom. As you said retail has the best warranty, I have to find out what the advantage is of purchasing VIP membership, yes it gives us free RMAs but they stress the additional warranty but not what is covered, I am going to try and find out from NCIX what that is.

Again Thanks everyone.
God bless all

James

PS. I'll post here should I get any information.